Marutuk's Gen III Build

Offroadmuch

Explorer
No issues with it so far. My car hasn't been re-geared either (but it is on my to-do eventually). My 255/85s were basically 33", the 285s are 32.8" or so. :)

Thanks for the info. I was about 99% set on 235/85/16's but I am still considering 255/85/16's. I may just go a little more conservative and run the 235's....

Marutuk

KK6WFB
There are benefits to it in terms of how they handle, but I moved away from it as they were only in Mud Terrain, which is too loud for my taste.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Been a while since my last update, but I had some issues getting it passed smog here in California. After replacing the catalytic converter Y pipes and O2 sensors (fixing my recurring issue with Check Engine lights), it failed it's check and it turned out that it was missing several parts from the intake manifold/plenum. The butterfly valves that are meant to be present were completely removed as was the parts that controlled them. Thanks to a fellow Montero owned I was able to replace it and it passed smog, but this all was an unwelcome extra expense.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Seems that the intake manifold does come with it's issues - getting error P0171/P0174, going to see what's up with that. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Yeah I read your thread when searching for these error codes :)

As for the sound, it does sound normal enough (but hard to tell, with the recent change of the catalytic converter and now the intake manifold and not having had my car for a few weeks everything sounds different). I am hoping that this is just due to the smog place doing a visual check and such and potentially causing one of the vacuum hoses to get loose.

nckwltn

Explorer
I also am having p0171 and sometimes p0174 on my 03.

I did a smoke test today and found that I'm getting leaks coming from the area of the valve that opens/closes the butterfly valves in the intake plenum. Sadly, there doesn't appear to be a replacement part for this short of the entire lower plenum. Going to pull the plenum to see if it's something I can fix to pass smog.

This post shows the exact same place where I have a leak. I shoot some carb cleaner down there and engine idle changes. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=54029

I'm also seeing some smoke coming from the EGR valve... when I pull the valve off, the shaft that opens and closes (like an engine valve) is loose and can rock side to side.

I'm past smog due date, so need to get this resolved quickly.

I built this for a smoke test.... used the regulator on my compressor turned WAY down. Worked great and was cheap.... You do want to use a metal can, as the incense does make the lid warm... might melt plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5kFib1WxE

nckwltn

Explorer
Also.... I had a cracked driver's side exhaust manifold... replaced it and that did not resolve the p0171/74 issue. Didn't expect it to, but just confirming that it didn't fix it.... but I knew it needed to be fixed.

I got the part from the dealer, they had it for me to pick up in less than a week. They quoted me near 400, and I told the guy "I can buy this online for nearer 300" and he cut the price down to 330ish after tax.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
That is a good find. My car did indeed have the butterfly valves removed, which made it fail smog here (visual inspection perhaps? No idea), so I did have to replace the whole plenum.

But the good news for me was that I had no serious issue, just a hose that had gotten loose, so it was an easy fix. I am relieved about that as it was a costly thing to get fixed.

nckwltn

Explorer
If you weren't getting check engine lights, probably failed on visual inspection. So far so good.... Going to try to hit up smog tonight

Marutuk

KK6WFB
That is exactly what I had as well, I had to replace the whole cat for that, which fixed the issue (and also the noise issue). I guess it is a relatively common issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior