Maryland to Alaska - Running solo and wandering the back roads

xjaugie

Adventurer
Thought I would update things, its been a while. I've made it home from AK and have settled into a "regular job" in Wash. DC while still living in Carroll County. Yep that means a 85 mile commute each way. Since back I've been working on getting my life back on track and while I have given up the newspaper writing asignment for a while, I have started a new blog project. For over ten years I worked part time as a magazine writer for several outdoor and off road mags, but as the interent grew mags died. So I've changed my direction. The blog is a slow work in progress, but is a labor of love not seen as a way to make a million bucks. Right now the truck is in need of repairs and hopefully will be back on the road this weekend. I've got many more trips / adventures planned for the short term and even bigger stuff in the long term. Learned a lot from the trip and have a new direction on life. Even at the age of 46 we can still learn life lessons.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Nice to see you posting again.

Based on what I've seen online, you made it to Alaska and started looking around a bit and then kind of dropped off the face of the online world. Saw there were some postings at Carroll Outdoors that said you made it back to this coast. Would love to hear more about your Alaska working trip.

Commuting to, in or around DC absolutely sucks in the biggest ways possible.

Will be reading the blog to see what's up.

xjaugie

Adventurer
Yea you're right I kind of dropped off the online world for a little while. Getting myself back on track. A lot happened over the last two years, and I took some time to "just be". But watch out I'm coming back !

mattc113

very curious to know how much funds were needed for this trip. i just quit my job of 6 years and took a job in the oilfield so i can make a lot of money in a few months, working like a dog 160hrs a week, on call, so i can do a Oklahoma to alaska and back, wanting to make a circle from okc, west to new mexico, head northwest, travel up through canada to alaska, head east across southern canada, come down through the east coast and back home.

what kind of budget did you set yourself?

Mtn Mike

Observer
Thanks for posting. I'm a northern Virginia native, with family in Manchester MD too. But I've found home in the west. It's always great to see someone put in to words, their journey west across the continent. Great blog too! :smiley_drive:

xjaugie

Adventurer
Matc113 - As with most things in life the cost of things can vary greatly between one person to another. In my case I think the trip cost me a total of around $2,000. Close to half of that was in fuel. For food, I had emptied my freezer of waterfowl and venision eating it as I went. Becasue of the time of year I was traveling, early April, The weaher was still cold and I stayed in hotels on some nights and camped out on others. I was also stuck in Prince Royal for two days waiting for the ferry spending three nights in a hotel. Tolls on the east coast can run over $40.00 depending on the route you take. I also splurged on a new hat in Montana. I'm sure it can be done a lot cheaper than I did it. I had a pocketful of money and enjoyed the trip not worring about running out. Should have though as I went close to broke in Alaska. LOL.

I learned a lot on that trek and know that the next one will be better on the funds, we learn as we go.

Mntmike - I currently live on Deep Run road between Manchester and Silver Run and Working at Blue Plains plant in southern DC right now. Once some bills are paid, I'll be back out treking your way. Am begining to plan another hunting trip next fall for Mulies and maybe goats. Unguided ofcourse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78