match the vehicle or trailer tire?

colorado matt

Adventurer
as far as I can tell there are 2 reasons to match the vehicle.... tires are interchangeable between trailer and vehicle ... this would allow for one spare to be taken that would work for both ... or ... it just looks so much cooler than a trailer tire ... the vanity in me sees this as a justified reason also sorta .... but back to the first reason .... other than convenience of an extra spare .... does a truck tire on a trailer give the trailer any other advantage ??? seems like a trailer tire would last longer ..be cheaper ... can still be had in 15 inch rim (all 3 rims with tires for about the price of 2 tires) ... has anyone said .. dang wish I had XXX tires on my trailer I could have done that trail ..... please educate me ..... Matt

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I just spent the last week with an off-road trailer, and am contemplating the purchase of one. I currently run mud terrains on the Jeep, the trailer had nice, new all terrains and were of the same bolt pattern. I am thinking that if I get the trailer and match tires (all terrains), rims, and sensors between the Jeep and the trailer with a spare of it's own (I'm a big fan of spare tires, having needed more than one in a single trip in the past) that gives me eight tires of the same size and tread pattern. Since the trailer will only be driven a fraction of the time I figure an eight tire rotation between the two will give me a set of tires that should last a very long time!

veetee

Yes... :D

image~5.jpeg

indiedog

Adventurer
Quite a few variables for this. Depends on where you will use it, if you need ground clearance, if you will drive on sand/mud/rocks, remoteness and duration of intended travel, weight and size of trailer, hitch height, appearance, etc. For most of us we could get away with a standard smaller trailer tyre most of the time. Bigger tyres may(?) also give the bearings a longer life.

Me? I've got matching rims and tyres to my Jeep and no spare. My trailer is small but wanted it to go wherever the car could. When I'm getting new tyres for the car I take the best of the old ones and keep them for the trailer. So I'm not really spending money on trailer tyres.

grogie

Like to Camp
My Jeep and trailer do run the same size tires. The wheels are also the same size and the same brand (Eagle Alloys), but I didn't want that perfect matched look. My trailer is black so I like the look of black wheels on it better then the polished aluminum that I have on my Jeep.

To start with, I did build my Jeep up with an eventual trailer in mind, and that they would share the same size tire, simply so that one spare works for both. I've heard from guys like Andrew St.Pierre White when running through the African bush, just for his one 4x4 alone he carries two spare A/T tires. Well I'm not running through the African bush, and I'm pretty confident in having just one spare Goodyear MT/R for what I do. That's also less weight to carry, which weight is always something I consider driving a short wheel based Jeep with a 4.0 I6.

And, even though I've replaced most of my Jeep's suspension and can go higher in lift and tires size, I'm only running 32" tires. Which for a Jeep TJ, most lifted TJs tend to run 33s or 35s. I can run 33s as it is now, and with flat flares and keeping the same springs I could run 35s. But again, I was thinking of a trailer, and more then 32" on a trailer would IMO be even more overkill, and more then 32" on my Jeep is again more weight. 32s are just right for my setup. The trailer follows me about anywhere I think it's safe to take a trailer, and isn't too high up in the air to worry about center of gravity issues.

I will say that having oversized tires on a trailer is a bit of guessing game about air pressure. I don't want it too low on the highway, but too high either to where the trailer bounces. They're both level with each other and run great together, which stability is always been something I've kept in mind as well as I drive down the highway to my off-road destinations. The trailer tows great and I'm very happy with it. It's given new life to camping and exploring, simply due to being able carry more then what fits in the back of a Jeep, let alone the RTT on the trailer. (No more ground tent!)

I guess I said a lot there, but just some general thoughts to share. :)

My setup:

pfC8dB.jpg

posfzk.jpg

colorado matt

Adventurer
For most of us we could get away with a standard smaller trailer tyre most of the time.
when/what is the time matching tires and rims would be a benefit

I understand the advantage of a full size tire as apposed to the 10 inch tire on my pop up trailer ..... but a 15 inch rim with 285/75 tire (trailer tire and rim) is pretty darn close to the same size as my tire .... and as stated I could by all 3 rims and tires for the same price as just 2 tires .... guess I am wanting a reason or some science behind the extra cost .... is it just for looks? .... just put new rims and tires on the truck and building the trailer from scratch (4x6 box on a simple frame with rack for RTT... weighing in at around 1200lbs dry) .... I have heard the argument for bearing life being longer because the tire is bigger so the bearings spin slower ... and now my research is bringing up several people having to use spacer hubs to clear the brake drums on the trailer because of the street rims ??? more expense and pushing the tire further out from the spindles seems counter productive to long bearing life .... again just trying to educate my stupid self .... Matt ................ edit ..grogie jumped in while I was typing ... thanks

Last edited:

fjatheart

Adventurer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456107799.028206.jpg

Definitely more than I need for a dirt road camper. I found the 4 wheels and tires, that matched the 4Runner for $160.00. After that, it was hard to justify trailer tires and wheels.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I am a big fan of having the trailer tires the same size/bolt pattern as the tow vehicle on an offroad trailer. If I was going on an extended trip on the backroads, I would bring a second spare...just in case. I know a lot of people who have had multiple flats on the trails around here in one trip. We have a ton of blast rock on the logging roads here, and it is brutal on your tires.

Having 2 spares is just a nice option.

I also like the look of matched tires and wheels on the trailer. My tires are not identical, close enough. heh

brentbba

Explorer
Pretty much been said already. OCD in me likes the matching rims/tires on the trailer to the truck. Most importantly however is that the trailer can be sacrificed if need be to get back to civilization should I blow two tires while off road. Even before owning a trailer, I sliced open a sidewall on day 1 of a 4 day expedition throughout DV. While I was with a good size group with others running the same rims and tire size, it was uncomfortable knowing that I didn't have a spare at that point. My trailer already had the matching rims and all I needed to do was troll craigslist for the correct size/brand tire I'm running on the truck. It's a safety thing for me. My life is more important than leaving a trailer in the middle of nowhere with blown tires left on it!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
A vote for matching rims and tires
NKN_9671-1.JPG

And a vote for a tread that will not become useless because it cannot shed mud. I used to run an all weather tread figuring that all that mattered was lower rolling resistance. Here is what happened in Utah:

NKN_7020-2.jpg

Last edited:

Texas TT

I put matching tires on my trailer as well.

Initially I just matched the tires & bolt pattern. Eventually I found a few decent deals on matching wheels and added those later.

Attachments

• FJTrail.jpg
    FJTrail.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 59

wagex

Adventurer
i thought about trying to match tires till i added up the cost, i ended up scowering craigstlist and $90 later i had a set of wheels and 32.6" radials that were at ~50% tread. 10377014_10156487159670537_7877217390480428801_n.jpg12321661_10156487160000537_4971229001140801815_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Truck is 8 x 6.5 from the factory, trailer is 8 x 6.5 from the factory.
Just made it easy to have everything match.

Attachments

• tent 2.JPG
    tent 2.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05292.JPG
    DSC05292.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 44

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If you've got/planned for an off-road trailer(real off-road) then having matching wheels/tires is like always having a parachute when you fly--security-

My setup has 4 spares for the jeep, so other than fire or total wreck, I can always(99%) of the time get outta dodge with the jeep and 2 spares for just the trailer-!
maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20037_zpsfhubmd7o.jpg

There's also a fashion statement--I'm not dependant on that, but I feel more comfy/justified making the statement -

Everybodies gotta story-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears