Matts M416 build

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it!!

I got my lid built!

I wanted to keep it as low as possible so I built a simple lid that's 3" tall. I used 1.5" angle to square and level the top rails. I made the sides of the lid out of 3"x1"x11 gauge tube and put three 1.25"x11 gauge square cross members across it to bolt the RTT to.

The gas springs work great. The lid stays put when I undo the latches, but once I start to lift the lid they take over and hold it open no problem. I mounted them on the outside because it was the easiest way to do it, and it will keep them out of the way of what I'm hauling and from getting damaged if the load shifts.

I got some seal protectors to help keep crud off them.

I wanted to be able to remove the lid easily for hauling other stuff so I used the same hinges that most use. I also got rid of the plastic bushings they come with and replaced them with metal ones. Just remove the 3 bolts and the lid can come off. That piece of square tube serves two purposes. I welded one at each corner. I can hook the bottom of them with a ratchet strap hung from the rafters and lift the lid a few inches to remove it. I can also use them to mount a removable rack to haul things above the folded up RTT, or mount an awning on adjustable height brackets.

I used some simple latches that accept a pad lock and a weld on stainless steel handle.

Here is a list of part#'s for the items I used in case anyone is interested in using the same parts for their build.

I got the hinges and metal bushings from www.RCPW.com
(6) Metal bushings = BP 3008647
(3) Hinges = BP B2426FS

All the rest of the stuff came from McMaster-Carr

(30') .75"x.75" rubber bulb seal = 93085K82
(1) Weld on Stainless handle = 7088A3
(2) Gas springs, 175#'s = 9416K21
(4) Ball socket for gas springs = 9416K76
(4) Gas spring mounting brackets = 9512K91
(2) Gas spring seal protector = 4185T12
(2) Adjustable draw latches = 13435A61

Flashole

Adventurer
Man, I was all excited about those bushings. I went to order 6 of them, and that place wants 8$ for shipping:Wow1: I'll have to find them local I guess.

Trailfrog

Adventurer
IMG_0549_zpsfce2e852.jpg

Nice looking trailer. I did the same thing with the square tubing at the corners. Are you making a rack to go above your RTT?

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks guys!!

I don't plan on making a rack for it right now but figured I would add those pieces to make it easy to do it down the road. For now they will just be used to hoist the lid off the trailer when I need to use the trailer without it.

OppugnAll

Really liked the design of your hardtop. It looks to be great compromise of increased internal space, ease of build, and cost effectiveness. Can I get a pic of under structure? I hope to build hardtop that allows use ARB fridge inside trailer and need more height to do so. I think about 18" is required..

Matt

Adventurer
My trailer is buried in the corner of the garage with stuff piled on top for the winter, so no pics any time soon.

I ran 3 - 1" square tubes across the top to support and mount the RTT. Then welded the sheet to the top. The outer frame of the top is 3" tall + around 3/8" for the seal.

My tub measures 18" to the top of the 1 1/2" angle that's welded to the top of the tub. Plus another 2" - 3" under the lid, depending on if you measure to the lid or the 1" support tubes.

ZeMax

Observer
Finally found some good hinges Thank you !

Love the simplicity of the lid. Looks good too. Would love to make one like that instead of the 60 degrees angled one but most Fridges are 20 inches high, quite a gamble in my case.

Do you have a fridge that fits in there ?

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks!

I have an Engel fridge, but I keep it in the back of my Jeep instead of the trailer. If I set up camp and then drive somewhere I'd rather have my food and drinks in the Jeep with me than leave it in camp or have to transfer it back and forth between the two. More convenient for lunch breaks on the trail or even when driving down the road. My kid can reach into the fridge from the back seat and grab herself a snack or ice cold Mtn. Dew for Me without us having to make a pit stop.

My Engel with the insulated cover stands 21" tall. It would fit in my trailer with a 1/2" to spare sitting between where the internal cross bars are to support the RTT.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Very nice work. The welds are sharp. I wish I could get that every time. Keep the pictures coming and thanks for sharing.

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments!!

Im working on building some storage for the back of My Jeep. Drawer and AT combo slide. Once that's done a water tank is next on the list for the trailer. I'll be sure to keep this thread up to date as I use and modify my trailer.

Spixelz

Adventurer
Really liked the design of your hardtop. It looks to be great compromise of increased internal space, ease of build, and cost effectiveness. Can I get a pic of under structure? I hope to build hardtop that allows use ARB fridge inside trailer and need more height to do so. I think about 18" is required..

Could you post any pictures of the structure? Also how you attached the Angle to the tub to square the tub?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998