Maul or Splitting axe?

ITTOG

Incorrect. The maul is a tool for splitting. :)

You might prefer it for splitting, and many people do, but I prefer splitting wood with an axe.

I lived a number of years in a 16' x 16' platform tent, where the air temperature regularly hit -40 F (-40 C), and I heated the tent with a wood-stove. I also taught many other people to do the same. Yes, I have split a lot of wood with an axe. :cool:

I've watched peoples' eyes bulge in surprise when I have ripped an axe through some very large, tall, and tough rounds of wood. :)

The axe make it much easier for me to split wood and leave the round standing in the same spot. Doing so minimizes the need to pick the wood up until I'm ready to stack it.

I can start on one side of a 3' diameter round (yes, three feet, (36 inches)) take pieces out of it while I work my way around it, kick a path clear of wood for my axe handle to travel through, and finish the center. Yes, that can also be done with a maul, but I find it much easier and faster with an axe. :)

For what @Todd n Natalie is asking about, I suggest that he use an axe. A nice and sharp axe with a stiff long handle. Why chase maul-struck pieces? :cool:

Stay safe!
I think ThundaBeagle is still correct in his statement based on what is traditionally used. That doesn't mean an axe is never used.

You may be a giant man and @Todd n Natalie may be average size or even smaller. In that situation an axe may require too much effort. Obviously I don't know how big or small either of you are so I was just throwing out an example. I know I would use a maul.

Depends on the wood. I started rounding out 24"plus pine and cider at 13 years for my grandfather, work the edges the the middle. I had access axes, mauls, wood bombs and wedges. Mostly I used the axe. I got in to found wood and continued to split with a axe and a maul for cross grained and twisted grains. there are different tools for different jobs. The real secret is head speed whatever

1000arms

Heh, heh... naw. I'd get beat quite easily, I'm sure. Unless I brought that 1970's G.I. Joe "Big Jim, with karate chop action" along
I'm sure you would be quite effective at turning rounds of wood into firewood and kindling! ... And, at the end of the day, that is important. :)

I encourage people to keep an open mind and and consider that most people don't really know how to split wood with an axe. Those people might be effective at splitting thin stuff with an axe, (after breaking things down with a maul), but don't really know how to use an axe.

If they knew how to really use an axe, they wouldn't be getting it stuck at every strike. :)

I encourage everyone to feel free to use a maul, but please keep in mind that it is good technique, not magic, that allows one to effectively split wood with an axe. :)

1000arms

I think ThundaBeagle is still correct in his statement based on what is traditionally used. That doesn't mean an axe is never used.

You may be a giant man and @Todd n Natalie may be average size or even smaller. In that situation an axe may require too much effort. Obviously I don't know how big or small either of you are so I was just throwing out an example. I know I would use a maul.
I think too many people limit themselves by thinking the maul is the only way to go. Please see:

I'm sure you would be quite effective at turning rounds of wood into firewood and kindling! ... And, at the end of the day, that is important. :)

I encourage people to keep an open mind and and consider that most people don't really know how to split wood with an axe. Those people might be effective at splitting thin stuff with an axe, (after breaking things down with a maul), but don't really know how to use an axe.

If they knew how to really use an axe, they wouldn't be getting it stuck at every strike. :)

I encourage everyone to feel free to use a maul, but please keep in mind that it is good technique, not magic, that allows one to effectively split wood with an axe. :)

I've taught adults and children to split with mauls and to split with axes. Many of them were very surprised how well they could split wood with an axe.

Alloy

I rarely get an axe stuck, even splitting large rounds of wood, and I can quickly and easily free an axe if I do get it stuck. :)

Your results might be quite different from mine, so I can understand if you choose to split wood with a maul.

:unsure: ... Although, you might regret that decision if the world ever descends in to a "zombie apocolpyse" ... :cool:

What type(s) of wood do you split?

1000arms

What type(s) of wood do you split?
:unsure: ... Uh, firewood? ... :)

Wet/dry/wet+frozen/dry+frozen/soaked/soaked+frozen oak, maple, ash, birch, beach, hickory, elm, walnut, locust, pine, spruce, fir, ...

I generally only use softwood to start a hardwood fire, but, I've been in a number of places that only burn softwood (where people look at me in shock/horror when I mention burning hardwood :) ).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998