max tire size

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
does any one know if a 33x12.5 R17 will fit on a '05 tacoma stock height? I am faced with a REALLY good deal on 5 Mickey Thompsons mounted on AR Mojave teflons, all 5 better than 75% wear. They would be strictly wheeling tires for me. Thanks!

Nick

dnellans

Adventurer
They will "fit" but will rub quite badly, particularly at stock height. Combined with a moderate 2 inch lift and an alignment they will rub far less. Personally I would not put them on a stock height vehicle (even just for wheeling), but would likely put them on a 2 inch lifted vehicle and deal with the likely minor rubbing, assuming I was getting a sufficient "deal" on them.

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
i am plannin on a 2-3" lift either way, but i think it is too good of a deal to pass up. They are coming off a FJ with a 3" lift.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Wheeling 285's you will need to trim some plastic and shave the body mount. I'd pass on the 33's.

from TN:

Your best bet for better performance offroad is to keep the LOWEST center of gravity possible with the most ground clearance. A wise decision would be to mount 33" tires and trim with zero lift, but most guys don't have the nuts to do that to a new rig. There's a guy on ttora running 35's with no lift, but he trimmed more than most would be comfortable with. High clearance bumpers and sliders will get you up and down a lot of obstacles by improving approach and departure angles and allowing you to slide over stuff you can't clear.

There you have it. Shave that mount and trim the crap out of those fenders :D and run the tires you want.

Last edited:

KG6BWS

Explorer
fwiw, if it were me, i think id buy em anyway if the deals that good. they can always sit in the garage for a bit until you get the lift on.

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
well, i passed on the set. $650 for 5 tires and wheels, 4 were at 75% or newer. I need to replace my factory skids first, good deal, but i cant see doing the lift before i have better protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior