Maximum sulphur content in diesel for Oz 4M50-3AT7 4.9 litre (when o/s)

Bandicoot

Adventurer
I'm trying to get a straight answer about how much sulphur in diesel the 4.9 litre Canter engine (Oz version 4M50-3AT7) can handle if it is taken o/s. I am confident it can handle 500 ppm S indefinately, but can it operate OK on more S than that (e.g. 5000 ppm S), and if so, for how many tankfuls?
If not, is there some sort of fuel additive that will allow operation with high sulphur?
What is the potential impact on the engine with high sulphur? Is it just that the cat converter will stop working properly (can live with that) or can there be damage to the engine itself?
Bandicoot

rblackwell

Adventurer
I am not a diesel expert but have some experience with high sulphur fuels and modern diesels.
We drove our 2008 Chevy duramax in central and south america for over a year totaling up 60,000 miles
The vehicle was built as a ULSD vehicle complete with catalytic converter and DPF.
In prep for the trip we removed the DPF (this required the use of an after market performance programmer to
change the ECM program so that the computer did not perform the DPF regeneration cycle).
We left the CAT in place.
We had no problems - put all the stock stuff back before re-entering the US.
If you don't have a DPF on your truck I would assume - no problem
The diesel in central/south america varies. In Argentina we could buy some Euro diesel
In Honduras 5000 ppm
What year model is you Canter?
There are diesel small Mitsubishi trucks all over central/south america
Rob
www.whiteacorn.com

Is it just that the cat converter will stop working properly (can live with that) or can there be damage to the engine itself?
Bandicoot

I see this question very frequently. The only engine issue is that high TBN oil will need to be used and or more frequent oil changes will be needed.
The cat (sometimes integral with the DPF) is what is damaged by sulfur. But damaged emission pieces can cause unpleasant engine malfunction i.e. "limp-home mode" and so planning is necessary with Euro4/5 or US EPA 2007 and later engines.
But the engine itself will be fine.

Charlie

Bandicoot

Adventurer
I have now purchased the Fuso "workshop manuals" ($400!!) but so far as I can see, the only emissions control on this engine (2009 model) is EGR (plus the cat converter and a "crankcase emission control" system, which seems fairly basic). There is definately no DPF and no sensors anywhere on the exhaust pipe (except those for the exhaust brake).
Fuso here in Oz is saying 500 ppm maximum sulphur (sorry, sulfur!) but I get the impression that they don't really know and this is just the "official line". If the engine only has an EGR, cat converter, crankcase emission system, and nothing more, can it handle more than 500 ppm S?
rick

Attachments

• Canter Engine.jpg
    Canter Engine.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
  • EGR system.jpg
    EGR system.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member