Maxing out your truck’s payload

wtwnnil

IMG_2059.jpeg
Hi Folks, I’ve got a question about maxing out your payload. Wondering if I’m safe…

I‘ve got a 2009 F150 (5.4L XL, 8’ box, short cab, 2WD). The specs I get from online sources say the max payload is about 2050lbs (see: http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothf150/documents/2009specificationsbrochure.pdf)

To prep the truck to handle the camper, it’s got airbags on the rear axle, and I installed an “add-a-leaf” to beef up the rear suspension.

The camper is a 2004 Palomino Bronco which I’ve modified for a solar system and other additions. Its centre of gravity is right about overtop the rear axle. The camper currently weighs 3000lbs (wet/loaded with gear, water, etc), and with three passengers (two humans and a dog) we’re up to 3330lbs.

This means we’re about 1300lbs over the factory payload estimate.

I’ve seen some loaded campers out there, and I don’t want to be pushing it too much. We’re planning on driving some basic dirt roads and logging roads (to access camping sites) so I want to make sure it can handle the additional weight of an uneven road.
Is this problematic? Does this seem like we’re safe? Thanks for all your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22

wtwnnil

Thanks to you both. I weighed the rig and got 8443lbs with everyone inside. The sticker on the door jam says doesn’t list the GVWR, but it does say that occupants and cargo shouldn’t exceed 1852lbs.

I’ve checked that my tires are good for the extra weight.
I’m hopeful the centre of gravity of the camper helps keep the weight equally distributed along the truck’s frame and not just behind the rear axle.
I’m not sure what - if any - difference the airbags make on alleviating the burden on the truck.
And I’m also not sure how much - again, if at all - the add-a-lead helps.

tacollie

Glamper
How does it handle? Does it feel safe? I've drive trucks with campers 1700lbs over GVWR that handled great. I would be more concerned about your rear axle rating. It should be in on the door jamb as rear GAWR. You are probably over the axle rating. Which means it is going to be more prone to wear and tear. Your GVWR should be between 7050 and 7200.

For the most part in the US being overweight isn't as big liability legally for personal vehicles. Commercial is going to base it off registration, axle ratings, and tire ratings. My understanding is Canada is more strict.

You are running heavy so drive more conservatively. Your brakes are going to wear out faster. Your transmission is going to run hotter. Your rear end is going to be under more stress. Plan your maintenance accordingly and I think it'll be fine.

CampStewart

Observer
My concerns would be the brakes, and rear axle capacity. The limiting payload factor may be the soft springs to give the 1/2 ton a car like ride. The air bags and heavy duty shocks may cure that. I would look into a heavy duty anti sway bar also. Brakes are so much better than 15 years ago its not funny, as long as you are not racing down mountain passes they will probably be fine. Find a way to monitor your trans temp and add a bigger cooler than needed. Find out if that same rear axle is used with higher gvw applications. Get a larger capacity , maybe finned aluminum cover for it.

wtwnnil

Thanks for the clarification, billiebob, I had the wrong door sticker.

GVWR = 7050lbs
Front GAWR = 3450lbs
Rear GAWR = 3850lbs

Thinking of overloading the rear axle, I've tried to be cognizant of where the center of gravity is. The center of gravity for the camper is approximately right above my rear axle (*although this is based on my own estimates comparing other years of the Bronco which list it, because my camper doesn't have it marked anywhere. Also, I've added a fair amount of components at the front (electrical stuff), and a solar panel right in the middle, so when compared to other Bronco's my COG will be different...*). I think to ease the burden on the rear axle it'd be better to be forward more, but this is what I've got.

Do highway scales differentiate between the weight on the front and rear axles? Is this how you determine if you're overloading the rear axle?

I scaled my rig a few days ago at a dump/transfer station, and got a weight of 8443lbs (no differentiating the front and rear axles). And this was with everyone and everything loaded inside. I'm thinking, drive slowly and cautiously, and check-in for breaks/maintenance more frequently.

(none)

Adventurer
A Cat scale at a truck stop will allow you to weigh axles separately. Either way, you're over on both. Take it for what it is.

Is it the end of the world? No. Would it handle better on a F350? Yep. You've got what you've got. Drive safe and take your risks without putting anyone else in harm.

Being over the GVWR, you can figure things won't last as long as if you weren't, right? Thats brakes, tires, bearings, bushings, suspension, frame, etc. Obviously doesn't mean it'll blow up in 100 miles or that you'll automatically veer into a schoolbus full of kids. Does mean you gotta check on things more often, expect slower vehicle responses and if something does ever happen involving another driver or pedestrian you will most likely get a few more questions...

Practically every modded truck on here is over GVWR, it's not hard to do. Are they as much as you are? Nope.

Other way to look at it, at this point you know you're over. Over in every way. Why bother getting it weighed further? You can't change it. No mod you will do (other than removing the camper) will get you within specs.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You need a new truck.
Or will soon!

Regarding your: I’ve checked that my tires are good for the extra weight.

What does it actually say on the sidewalls?

The LT Grabber for SUVs and 1/2 ton trucks seems to be standard as an SL (standard load) tire and if you plan on exceeding that standard load it’s generally recommended to up your rubber to the XL (extra load) tires🤔

Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
The majority of that weight will be on the rear axle.
Personally, Id never run any vehicle without a floating rear axle at or over max GVWR.
In the old days losing a SF axleshaft was not uncommon but with disc breaks that will not happen. Is a SF axleshaft , probably a C clip coming loose when not pulling a trailer a common thing or are holding on to 20 years ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears