Maxing out your truck’s payload

ITTOG

No more questions besides the ones I asked and you didn't answer. But I digress, you are a man who has convinced himself of something, don't let me stand in the way of that.
So read the post below numerous times until it sinks in. If in fact, what you indicate is true then the OP's truck would have broken the second he went over GVWR. @IdaSHO is correct.

And yet the OP is probably making his way through his journey without any problems related to his gvw. And people on this forum ponder why it is mocked by a lot of people.

All engineered items in this country are rated lower than their max capabilities. The reason this is done is to prevent disaster. Every industry has their standards required for overbuilding. I am a chemical engineer and have designed miles of pumping, pumping, and vessel systems. If I needed piping that could handle 100 psig because that is what my process demands, do you think I would install 100 psig piping? No, as there is no room for safety. Instead I may spec the pipe for 150 psig.

Other than the safety aspect there is also manufacturing defects, in almost everything. What if the casting for a part of a vehicle has an impurity or an internal hairline crack? Without any safety factor that item will break at GVWR.

nickw

Adventurer
So read the post below numerous times until it sinks in. If in fact, what you indicate is true then the OP's truck would have broken the second he went over GVWR. @IdaSHO is correct.

All engineered items in this country are rated lower than their max capabilities. The reason this is done is to prevent disaster. Every industry has their standards required for overbuilding. I am a chemical engineer and have designed miles of pumping, pumping, and vessel systems. If I needed piping that could handle 100 psig because that is what my process demands, do you think I would install 100 psig piping? No, as there is no room for safety. Instead I may spec the pipe for 150 psig.

Other than the safety aspect there is also manufacturing defects, in almost everything. What if the casting for a part of a vehicle has an impurity or an internal hairline crack? Without any safety factor that item will break at GVWR.
It's called "factor of safety", I get it, learned that in high school but sounds like you needed an engineering degree to figure that out? I have one too but let's keep the discussion to the point vs throwing out juvenile personal accolades, many folks have them.

Nobody is saying it's going to break when you exceed, it's a question of what the factor of safety is. I do not believe any manuf of consumer vehicles is building the vehicles to operate at GVWR/GCWR, can they, of course, can they full time day in day out in "real world conditions", sure for a period of time / at your own risk.

@IdaSHO used the example of driving down a highway and up a 6% grade....is that your definition of "real world"? You need to consider not only static but also dynamic loads in real world conditions.

An easy example are diesel engines which illustrate the point. Use a F250/350 Powerstroke as an example, 6.7L @ 475 hp. A comparative CAT C13 is 12.5L @ ~475 hp. Guess which one of those engines is designed to deliver 475HP on a "continuous" basis and can do that all day everyday while the other is a "max" value on a limited basis. I'll give you hint, look at HP / displacement.

Sim. example when consumer engines are used in commercial applications they are typically "de-rated" want to take a guess why? The 6.7 powerstroke in a F550 is rated at 330hp for a rig built to a much higher mechanical standard than a F350.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
And yet the OP is probably making his way through his journey without any problems related to his gvw. And people on this forum ponder why it is mocked by a lot of people.
Just because you can does not mean you should.

Go ask any old timer / full time traveler, guarantee they fall into the camp buying more truck than you need, there really is no argument against that logic.

CampStewart

Observer
Just because you can does not mean you should.

Go ask any old timer / full time traveler, guarantee they fall into the camp buying more truck than you need, there really is no argument against that logic.
You do know that before this thing was hijacked the OP already had the truck with bags and camper and was looking for peace of mind for some sort of cross country trip.
Im an old timer that started building up beater 4x4's and modifying them as best as we could to live with 35 inch tires in the 1970's when there was little aftermarket support. By day I signed off repairs on aircraft. I think most of the self proclaimed "Experts" around here over buy and over bolt on because it makes them feel good about compensating for their own lack of skills and self reliance.

nickw

Adventurer
You do know that before this thing was hijacked the OP already had the truck with bags and camper and was looking for peace of mind for some sort of cross country trip.
Im an old timer that started building up beater 4x4's and modifying them as best as we could to live with 35 inch tires in the 1970's when there was little aftermarket support. By day I signed off repairs on aircraft. I think most of the self proclaimed "Experts" around here over buy and over bolt on because it makes them feel good about compensating for their own lack of skills and self reliance.
Again with the self proclaimed accolades....some of the most educated people I know are the biggest knuckleheads. The smartest guy I knew as a kid, zero college, top notch welder, I used to go down to his shop and look at the Salt Flat cars he'd build from scratch. He did everything, engines, compound transmissions pieced together from scratch, rear end housing, did it all no computers, no formal engineering training.

I digress....hey, if you get airplanes you get factor of safety better than most I am surprised you are pushing back. You think flight mechanics / pilots are pushing MTBO, HP ratings in engines, payload capacities, airframe hours, fuel capacity?

I read Tom Sheppard's book, "Quite for a Tuesday", he looks at expedition driving like flying a plane, never overloaded, fuel reserves, streamlined setup, less is more.

CampStewart

Observer
Again with the self proclaimed accolades....some of the most educated people I know are the biggest knuckleheads. The smartest guy I knew as a kid, zero college, top notch welder, I used to go down to his shop and look at the Salt Flat cars he'd build from scratch. He did everything, engines, compound transmissions pieced together from scratch, rear end housing, did it all no computers, no formal engineering training.

I digress....hey, if you get airplanes you get factor of safety better than most I am surprised you are pushing back. You think flight mechanics / pilots are pushing MTBO, HP ratings in engines, payload capacities, airframe hours, fuel capacity?

I read Tom Sheppard's book, "Quite for a Tuesday", he looks at expedition driving like flying a plane, never overloaded, fuel reserves, streamlined setup, less is more.
I am not smart enough to understand what the racer has to do with this discussion, maybe you are a self proclaimed expert because you used to watch him idk. I don't know who Tom Shepard is either I have made it through all these years without his guidance. I am impressed though that you know who they are.
I weigh my decisions different for a vehicle that runs on land driven by me different than I do a vehicle that flies piloted and owned by someone else and governed by regulations that do not always make a lot of sense. This has worked fine with me for decades.
I bowed out of this thread after bickering with a guy who was cautioning that the OP's frame was going to crack in 2, sadly he deleted his posts, and making fun of the guy who said the OP's tires were going to explode without knowing what tires were on someone elses used truck. Oh and the guy who said his axle would explode without knowing what kind of axle the OP had. Then there was the guy who cautioned about the warranty on a 10 year old truck.
Now the inane level has risen above all of that with all of the nonsense about bigger and heavier duty is better without any reasonable consideration given to price, size, agility, weight, or how the vehicle is going to be used and for how long.

Im don't consider myself an expert but Ive been around enough to see BS when its being spewed and multiplied.

CampStewart

Observer
Wow. Seems you paint people with a broad stroke. That statement comes off pretty aggressive.
I didn't say all, there is some great tech on this site, but much of it gets buried just like the original intent of this thread. I am sorry if you are offended by my post and it made you sad.

ramblinChet

What you describe is an anomaly - I too have one close friend who dropped out of university yet he has fifty-plus patents all related to very complex miniaturized electro-mechanical devices that operate under high pressure in austere environments. But the remainder of all my amazingly talented friends are graduates with degrees in engineering, mathematics, astrophysics, etc.. The people who discredit formalized education are normally those who have not set aside the time and effort to achieve that goal in life.

And the true benefit of undergraduate education centered around science, technology, engineering, or math, is that it introduces you to others who themselves have not only put in the additional time and energy, but continue to do so. If you have five engineers as your closest friends, you will most likely become the sixth. Conversely, if you are good but hang around five drug-addicts, you most likely will become the sixth.

Actually, you are incorrect - aircraft and spacecraft design routinely utilize one of the lowest factors of safety. Remember, additional safety includes unnecessary weight. I completed all of the coursework for an MS in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, was a Naval Aviator, and also worked at NASA Langley Research Center - I am familiar with aircraft and spacecraft design.

But as you can imagine, this very slim safety margin coupled with a dangerous vehicle results in significantly more engineering, testing, manufacturing, training, maintenance, inspection, etc. costs. For automotive applications, the factor of safety is usually around double when compared to aircraft or spacecraft.

This is a brilliant strategy which I support 100%. Too many folks stumble into this sort of adventure with zero mental effort aside from, "wow, everyone is using that and man, that looks cool!" I don't have any sympathy when it comes to a grown man making yet another poor decision. Setting up an adventure rig is not rocket science but the common results are: over GVWR, limited fuel, and carrying junk that will never be used.

I am sure this guy has add-a-leafs or air bags so he is just fine...

gallery_11029_1446_111315.jpg

Here is my one-ton AEV Prospector on OEM springs for comparison. Fully loaded I still have 2,000 pounds of payload remaining:

232582327_4262968317104220_5156522520734339324_n.jpg

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
I am not smart enough to understand what the racer has to do with this discussion, maybe you are a self proclaimed expert because you used to watch him idk. I don't know who Tom Shepard is either I have made it through all these years without his guidance. I am impressed though that you know who they are.
I weigh my decisions different for a vehicle that runs on land driven by me different than I do a vehicle that flies piloted and owned by someone else and governed by regulations that do not always make a lot of sense. This has worked fine with me for decades.
I bowed out of this thread after bickering with a guy who was cautioning that the OP's frame was going to crack in 2, sadly he deleted his posts, and making fun of the guy who said the OP's tires were going to explode without knowing what tires were on someone elses used truck. Oh and the guy who said his axle would explode without knowing what kind of axle the OP had. Then there was the guy who cautioned about the warranty on a 10 year old truck.
Now the inane level has risen above all of that with all of the nonsense about bigger and heavier duty is better without any reasonable consideration given to price, size, agility, weight, or how the vehicle is going to be used and for how long.

Im don't consider myself an expert but Ive been around enough to see BS when its being spewed and multiplied.
Illustrating the point that you working on airplanes doesn't make you an expert as you seem to think.

You sound like a drama queen to be honest, I don't think people are suggesting "explosions", there is gray area between 'within limits' and 'catastrophic failure', some of us are just pointing out that it's a very dark shade of gray being several thousands pounds over payload capacity.

nickw

Adventurer
What you describe is an anomaly - I too have one close friend who dropped out of university yet he has fifty-plus patents all related to very complex miniaturized electro-mechanical devices that operate under high pressure in austere environments. But the remainder of all my amazingly talented friends are graduates with degrees in engineering, mathematics, astrophysics, etc.. The people who discredit formalized education are normally those who have not set aside the time and effort to achieve that goal in life.

And the true benefit of undergraduate education centered around science, technology, engineering, or math, is that it introduces you to others who themselves have not only put in the additional time and energy, but continue to do so. If you have five engineers as your closest friends, you will most likely become the sixth. Conversely, if you are good but hang around five drug-addicts, you most likely will become the sixth.

Actually, you are incorrect - aircraft and spacecraft design routinely utilize one of the lowest factors of safety. Remember, additional safety includes unnecessary weight. I completed all of the coursework for an MS in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, was a Naval Aviator, and also worked at NASA Langley Research Center - I am familiar with aircraft and spacecraft design.

But as you can imagine, this very slim safety margin coupled with a dangerous vehicle results in significantly more engineering, testing, manufacturing, training, maintenance, inspection, etc. costs. For automotive applications, the factor of safety is usually around double when compared to aircraft or spacecraft.

This is a brilliant strategy which I support 100%. Too many folks stumble into this sort of adventure with zero mental effort aside from, "wow, everyone is using that and man, that looks cool!" I don't have any sympathy when it comes to a grown man making yet another poor decision. Setting up an adventure rig is not rocket science but the common results are: over GVWR, limited fuel, and carrying junk that will never be used.

I am sure this guy has add-a-leafs or air bags so he is just fine...

View attachment 795587

Here is my one-ton AEV Prospector on OEM springs for comparison. Fully loaded I still have 2,000 pounds of payload remaining:

View attachment 795588
Fair enough - I was using factors of safety in aviation incorrectly, I was insinuating a very conservative / prescribed process that one does NOT exceed more than a strict engineering sense of 1.5 or the more common 2.0....2.0 is common the general engineering also.

Completely wholeheartedly disagree with the college comment and honestly think it's a big issue that somewhat degrades vocational & trade programs. We see that thought process a lot at work and there is an ever-growing push to try and change it. I am in the construction industry, Construction Engineering degree, and starting in the late 90's there started to be a big shift away from vocational programs in high schools and you can likely see for yourself the drawbacks. It's a cultural issue over the last 30 year, trades are not seen as a noble profession as they once were. I work in the high tech sector for a publicly traded company with many engineers and honestly, they are not the ones I hang out with. I'm off riding dirtbikes, MTBing an talking shop with electricians, plumbers, mechanics.....much more in common and much more interesting conversations. So it really depends how you define success, but going into the trades now with zero college debt and a six figure salary in 5 years pencils out a lot better than the majority of college degrees + debt and will for the foreseeable future.

My dad taught Autobody at the high school and community college level for 30+ years and the level of skill and artistic ability to do it right is second to none.

There is a lot of socio economic factors that lend themselves to college bound kids becoming successful, especially ones that go to prestigious colleges or have the luxury of obtaining advanced degrees.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
CampStewart : I think most of the self proclaimed "Experts" around here over buy and over bolt on because it makes them feel good about compensating for their own lack of skills and self reliance.
didn't say all, there is some great tech on this site, but much of it gets buried just like the original intent of this thread. I am sorry if you are offended by my post and it made you sad.
I drive a stock 1/2 ton so don't even fall into the category you described.
So you didn't offend me at all or make me sad in the slightest. Just making an observation.

rruff

Explorer
I was insinuating a very conservative / prescribed process that one does NOT exceed more than a strict engineering sense of 1.5 or the more common 2.0....2.0 is common the general engineering also.
The "factor of safety" depends heavily on how well you understand the loads the part will experience, the variance in part quality, etc.

I'm pretty certain that most of what goes into truck structural design, is determined by warranty replacements and recalls... rather than modelling, analysis, testing, etc. In other words, how often does it break? You scale parts from past experience. We all know that some people are going to stress the poop out of vehicle offroad, while others never will... there is a broad range. If something like an axle is below the level of reliability that the bean counters, lawyers, and marketeers like to see, then it might be redesigned... or more likely slap in a beefier one from the next model up.

For instance that Ram 3500 that broke a frame. It's over payload, CG is too far back, and the guy was driving on trails in Baja... but plenty of people are doing something similar every day. Even if the guy was extra stupid and this is an isolated incident, I bet some guys at Ram are getting chewed out over it, and they are looking into how to make the frame stronger so it doesn't happen again. Using fully boxed frames on this level truck is a fairly new thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if the failure is related to that.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No more questions besides the ones I asked and you didn't answer. But I digress, you are a man who has convinced himself of something, don't let me stand in the way of that.

So maybe I'm missing something, or you are completely illiterate...

But I answered the ONLY question you asked.

Yep, just one question in there. :rolleyes:

You can say it all you want doesn't make it true.

Prove it - outside of tires, how would you know what those things are "rated" for but more importantly what loads they encounter on a daily basis?

Driving down a flat highway is one thing, encountering real world conditions is different like emergency stops, panic maneuvers, accelerating at max power to get across an intersection, hitting expansion joints on the highway, hitting a pothole, construction zones, etc. etc. etc.

My N=1 - a buddy had a 1T Chev w/Duramax and had it 90% maxed out camper weight and would tow at the same time, close to max, nothing but problems, wheel bearings, wheels coming loose, rear axle issues....he realized that and bought a Ram 5500, no problems since and is way under all capacities.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The "factor of safety" depends heavily on how well you understand the loads the part will experience, the variance in part quality, etc.

A rather large part of these ratings is dependent upon usage

Take a typical load E tire for instance. Its ratings are based upon a few things...

Inflation, load, and speed. All are factors that will determine how much heat the tire will generate.
Since this is a tire, I assume 100% duty cycle. As in, the tire will perform essentially forever without failure when operating within said limits (load/PSI/speed)

Decrease inflation with all other things constant. Tire failure
Increase the load with all other things constant. Tire failure
Increase the speed with all other things constant. Tire failure.

Eventually...... ;)

But when constants change, the results change.

How about increase the load but reduce speed?
Or the one most here SHOULD be familiar with.... Decrease inflation and reduce speed....
Or even... decrease load and decrease PSI?

Its all related. And can be applied to essentially any part of a machine or machine as a whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears