Maxtrax vs TRED vs Tracmats vs X-Trax vs X-Jack

bad luck

Observer
Something that is not mentioned much and can cost little. The use of old conveyer belts. These can be acquired generally for free from sand and gravel plants when they wear out. You can cut them to your liking in length (Generally 4' to 5'). I use a hole saw and cut random holes through the belt to allow for grip of the sand and mud for under side and tires on top. I cut about 33% of the total service area with holes. A smooth mat can slip if you get your wheels spinning.

My experience is you do not want the 4' wide belts but the 18" or 2' wide belts. I have been using them with the BLM at Glamis, California for the last 15 years and they work great in the sand and mud.

They are flexible for storage and have other uses, as a mat for the tent ladder, tent entrance or a shower mat.

They will not work as a ladder or bridge. Everything has its limits.

What I like about them in the sand, I attach a rope to it and the back of the vehicle, after I get moving I continue to a place where I can start easy (pointing down hill or hard pack sand) dragging the mats behind me. It is a lot better then walking back to get them.

I have used the X-Jack and had problems with the exhaust melting the fill hose. If the vehicle was cool and then you use it there was no problem with it. The problem is we are generally driving the vehicle just before we get stuck and it is hot. It worked good with proper placement I got tires off of the ground.

I am going to try this and I appreciate your posting it. Also thanks for your post about sand and dunes, I learned a lot that I wasn't aware of. Thanks again Frenchie

ADVrider76

I have a set of the TRED'S 1100 units and so far they are nice units. I would not want to use them as ramps except for something lighter, not the truck. They do work in the sand for added traction. I bought them after getting bogged down on the beach, but before I could use them with my worn out BFG A/T's I bought new tires and now don't bog down. I did try them playing around and they do seem to work well. I used them to get a front wheel drive car off the beach and they did the job. Worth having if you don't have a winch but still no substute to lockers and a winch.

Btw they are $150 from sierra expedition. I was able to get a blue set to match, just ask for a different color.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...detail&p=12721

Bolles

Observer
How well do feel these devices will work with a two wheel drive Jeep Cherokee on aggressive off road tires in sandy, silty low traction dry areas?

stioc

Expedition Leader
OK guys one of these is on my Santa's list :) I'm having a hard time justifying $300 for a couple of plastic boards. So I'm hoping to pick between either the Smitty's Elements or TJM's TREDs. Does anyone have a first hand experience with either of these two and is one better than the other? I'm leaning towards the TREDs so far. BTW someone here said the TREDs have a lifetime warranty but I saw it listed as only 1yr on TJM's website.

Also I'm wondering if there would there be enough interest if there was to be a group-buy for any of the three options- the MaxTrax, TRED or Elements?

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
OK guys one of these is on my Santa's list :) I'm having a hard time justifying $300 for a couple of plastic boards. So I'm hoping to pick between either the Smitty's Elements or TJM's TREDs. Does anyone have a first hand experience with either of these two and is one better than the other? I'm leaning towards the TREDs so far. BTW someone here said the TREDs have a lifetime warranty but I saw it listed as only 1yr on TJM's website.

Also I'm wondering if there would there be enough interest if there was to be a group-buy for any of the three options- the MaxTrax, TRED or Elements?

I am a player with TRED if I can choose my color!

java

Expedition Leader
Spotted a set of yellow Maxtrax on the back of one of the Baja trucks at the start line.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Well I ended up with the Elements because I got a good deal on them from an ExPo member.

8FD210D2-431D-4564-857E-3FE190406EFF-7547-00000C034AA175CF_zps094f8b83.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I take my aluminum sand ladders and place them across two of the Pelican boxes from the trailer and I have instant high-capacity benches at the campfire. The sand ladders are great for shower mats too.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I bought the Elements because of the price factor. They are complete shi* . Stubs broke off almost instantly upon use. One of the pads has a crack. Used them maybe 2-3 times.

Next time Im building my own.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a first hand experience with either of these two and is one better than the other? I'm leaning towards the TREDs so far.

Well I ended up with the Elements because I got a good deal on them from an ExPo member.

I bought the Elements because of the price factor. They are complete shi* . Stubs broke off almost instantly upon use. One of the pads has a crack. Used them maybe 2-3 times.

Next time Im building my own.

homer-doh.jpg

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
not sure what homers DOH supposed to mean here. Was letting you know my experience with them and not a comparison with any other make.
With Elements, I got what I paid for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78