Maxtrax vs TRED vs Tracmats vs X-Trax vs X-Jack

Box Rocket

I don't view the x-jack as a recovery tool per se although it is commonly used for recovery with good success. The x-jack is very useful when you need to raise the tires out of a hole or lift the frame of the truck up off of a rock etc. I wasn't there for the recovery but I know that some guys during the overnight run for Cruise Moab helped with a vehicle recovery where a rig had slipped precariously off the trail. The x-jack was critical to that recovery from what I hear. I'll see if I can get details.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
When I first bought my trailer I worried about tipping it over so I always pack the Xjack. I originally bought it to help out if stuck in soft sand like that out near White Pocket but somehow I have dodged that bullet :elkgrin:

WMDunkin

Adventurer
would you think you would be able to bridge/drive across it? you have a ditch/hole and fill it up inside of that ditch/hole and drive over it?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
would you think you would be able to bridge/drive across it? you have a ditch/hole and fill it up inside of that ditch/hole and drive over it?

Wow. I've never thought of that. :sombrero: I suppose it is possible.. but I might be concerned about the surface of the Xjack not providing much traction

WMDunkin

Adventurer
right that was my thought, but if you inflate it enough to fill the area but not enough to be "slick/rounded" then would it work?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
right that was my thought, but if you inflate it enough to fill the area but not enough to be "slick/rounded" then would it work?

Thinking about it in the safety of my own home I would be inclined to lay something over the top of the bag such as one of the flexible sand traction devices, carpet or whatever is handy. Out in the field and in desperate need I might just take the chance and slowly drive over the bag.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
G'day from Australia,

4x4 Australia magazine just did this video comparison of all the traction boards available.
The definitive answer as to which type is best and why.

http://www.thelongpaddock.net/traction-boards.html

Cheers
http://www.thelongpaddock.net/

Thanks! Had to laugh when he finally broke out a real shovel!

I think that placing the ramps/mats/ladders into a hole at an angle in front of the tire makes it harder for the tire to go up the sharp incline. Since the rear wheels are not getting any traction, making it harder for the front wheels to get traction seems counter-intuitive. They also seemed to think that it was a good thing for the recovery device to be sucked under the tire until it stopped?

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
Haven't seen much/any discussion of the TractionJack device. http://tractionjack.com/

I like the idea that they fold up for storage but maybe that's not good for getting unstuck? They seem to claim it as an advantage. Reasonable price point too.

Anyone have experience with these?

jonesw3

Adventurer
f64169cbb500f20dd26c527f2563dccb.jpg

I have a set of traction jacks but haven't had a chance to use them. I will say that they seem very well made. I will post a review and pictures when I try them out.

Alabama Overland

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a set of traction jacks but haven't had a chance to use them. I will say that they seem very well made. I will post a review and pictures when I try them out.

Alabama Overland

I would like to see that! I am not sure if being hinged is a good thing except for minimizing storage requirements. These might be okay on firm ground but it seems that in soft mud, snow or sand they might sink in at the hinge point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online