May be pulling the trigger on a 2010-2011 4Runner Trail Edition

khanhtrung

For some time now I have wanted a new gen 4runner. I was debating between an FJ and a 4runner...was leaning toward an FJ but then saw a Trail edition and that was it. I am close to pulling the trigger on a Trail Edition. Either a 2010 or 2011. It will be silver and I am excited.

Fortunately, I have enough patience to wait for the right one and right price to float my way.

What do you guys think of the Trail Edition as opposed to an SR5? Is the only difference between the two the suspension (KSS is it called? and Locker? If you own a Trail Edition, why did you decide on that model?

Ive seen a few Trail Editions on here and they all look incredibly sexy..

Thanks for the Input!

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
2010-2012 runners can be had for good deals since they are mildly used at this point and they were pre-refresh (basically Toyota put a few new body pieces on 2013+ models, other than that everything is pretty much the same).

There were some TSB's to be aware of for those years of 4runner. The NHTSA used to have them listed on their website, but they don't seem to list that info anymore. Some of the more important ones had to do with the a driveline clunk. There are also air bag recalls for most Toyota models, including the 4runner. Takata is the airbag manufacturer and Toyota seems to be doing a gradual recall process, which is phased in depending on the year of the vehicle and its location (those in humid, wet climates, seem to have a higher priority). Honestly, except for the airbag recalls, I havne't been too worried about any the TSB's. I've driven my 4runner for over 30k miles now, and I haven't noticed any issues or breakdowns. The TSB's might be limited to just a few of the 4runners, but it doesn't hurt to talk to a dealer about any that are relevant to your specific vehicle.

If you're planning to go offroad, get the Trail edition. It's as simple as that. The main difference relative to the SR5 is that is has the rear locker and a manual transfer case shifter (as opposed to the SR5's electronic dial); the KDSS is an option on the Trail, but IMHO it is not necessary, and in fact it may be more of a hindrance than a bonus if you plan on adding aftermarket suspension. The newer models come with optional leather seats and heated seats; I'm not sure if they are available on the older models, but I'd look into that since the stock seats, while not uncomfortable, aren't the best in the world.

As the owner of a 2011 trail, I'm pretty happy with the vehicle. I've driven this thing through a lot of challenging terrain and roads with minimal drama (that rear locker has been a huge help) and stock ride height and departure/approach angles, while not amazing, have been adequate for most of the areas I've gone into. The stock suspension is kind of floaty on the road, but that works to your advantage when you get offroad, especially when you air down the tires. The engine/transmission combo is deadnuts reliable and has performed flawlessly (even in sub zero temperatures) with basic maintenance, though it's power delivery and fuel economy is nothing special. The old-school manual transfer case shifter is a nice touch too.

Get the Trail, drive it, have fun....you may end up finding that it needs little to no modification for your purposes. But if it does need modification, there is a huge aftermarket for it.

p nut

butter
If you're planning to go offroad, get the Trail edition. It's as simple as that...

Yes and no. Depends on what going "offroad" means. Most backcountry roads can be accessed with just high clearance and maybe 4WD. There may be situations where a rear locker may help, but not likely. Plus, the base SR5 already comes with the ATRAC system, which works excellent. Lots of late-gen Landcruiser folks tackling tough trails with just ATRAC and no locker(s).
-
I'm not saying it's not nice to have "just in case", but from what I've seen Trail's go for over SR5's, I don't think they're worth the premium, personally. But I don't rock crawl, either.

Dalko43

Explorer
Yes and no. Depends on what going "offroad" means. Most backcountry roads can be accessed with just high clearance and maybe 4WD. There may be situations where a rear locker may help, but not likely. Plus, the base SR5 already comes with the ATRAC system, which works excellent. Lots of late-gen Landcruiser folks tackling tough trails with just ATRAC and no locker(s).
-
I'm not saying it's not nice to have "just in case", but from what I've seen Trail's go for over SR5's, I don't think they're worth the premium, personally. But I don't rock crawl, either.

I don't rock crawl either, but going down remote forestry roads, as I do, there are times where the road gets challenging due to lack of maintenance or weather and a locker is not only a "nice-to-have" but can often be the difference between getting stuck and getting out. There have been at least 4 distinct instances that I can recall where my rear locker has gotten me unstuck. It is good insurance for backcountry travel, and if you travel enough it's highly likely that you will end up using it a few times to get unstuck.

ATRAC is nice when it works, but it's not the same as a true mechanical locker and it will wear out your brakes if you rely on it too much. So yes, a 4wd vehicle with ATRAC can get most places that a vehicle with a locker can. But when it comes to overall reliability and robustness, I'd pick a vehicle with a locker over a vehicle with only ATRAC (lucky for me the 4runner trail comes with both).

Honestly, if you have a vehicle where a locker is widely available, like the 5th gen 4runner, there really is no reason not to get it. If the OP were talking about a Subaru or LC 200 that only comes with AWD or 4wd, I'd say don't sweat it and work with what you got. But there are plenty of 4runners out there with lockers, so it seems like a no-brainer in my eyes to get one.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
...Honestly, if you have a vehicle where a locker is widely available, like the 5th gen 4runner, there really is no reason not to get it. If the OP were talking about a Subaru or LC 200 that only comes with AWD or 4wd, I'd say don't sweat it and work with what you got. But there are plenty of 4runners out there with lockers, so it seems like a no-brainer in my eyes to get one.

It may be different back east, but when I was looking for a friend earlier this year....man, the pickins were slim. There was 1 in my state (and it was wrecked--roll over), and a handful in surrounding states. I seem to recall they were quite a bit over the base SR5's. Now, the Trail does come with more features, but still, the premium seemed too high. Demand might be different from the east coast, though, so maybe that has something to do with it.
-
I agree on the locker vs atrac, although there are times where ATRAC gets you out of situations where a locker wouldn't. It is great to have both!

Chiz45

Trail has the extra off road goodies, but no 3rd row. Trail can be had without KDSS. Limited has full time 4WD, but OEM suspension makes lifting a challenge without removing components. I wanted a trail, but I went SR5 only because wife wanted 3rd row. If only they made a full time 4WD, third row, locker and seat presets! That would be the best of all traits.

YouTube some 4Runner vids. You will see all trims doing challenging things. You have to decide what level of performance you need. ARB lockers are available if you really need one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger