Maya Rally Questions (But Maybe Not Answers)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
BE FOREWARNED - When traveling down the Baja peninsula you are in a special trade zone status, so that you do not pass through customs on the way down. HOWEVER, when you cross to the mainland, you will be formally entering Mexico proper. You will have to go through Customs before departing the ferry. Make sure you have the necessary permits to avoid fines. (from mexbound.com)

That presented zero problems for me. I drove off the ferry and drove away from the port. When I left Mexico and entered Belize there was no questions or anything. Same when I returned and entered Mexico and then left Mexico to enter the USA. Perhaps this is because when I entered Baja I got my 6 month truck permit?

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I had a chat with my XO this weekend in the field and he brought up a good question. Are us military folks going to be able to travel to Mexico? I am going to check on the off limits areas when I get some down time. Anyone know anything?

Triumphdog

Adventurer
According to my brother, who is in the Air Force. He isn't able to travel down to Mexico. All he said was that it was off limits. He didn't give me any other info. I'm a civilian soooo... I'm in the dark.

trump

Adventurist
I had a chat with my XO this weekend in the field and he brought up a good question. Are us military folks going to be able to travel to Mexico? I am going to check on the off limits areas when I get some down time. Anyone know anything?

Talked with my XO as well and he didn't seem to think it was going to be a problem. YMMV

Active Duty pax have current travel restrictions in Mexico. Only Guard and Reserves are able to travel down there, and it must be during non-duty periods. (I just did in full knowledge of my battalion commander.)

For AD: your command (at some level, likely O-5 or above) has the ability to authorize travel. They'll likely need a memo of request with a bunch of evidence that you won't die. When I was in command and these types of issues came up, I was like, "Pfft! Have fun and take me next time!" But, then again, I was a pretty awesome commander. ;) Most will not be comfy authorizing an exception to policy on this. I wouldn't even bring it up.

You can always beg forgiveness. Of course it all comes down to your commander, but I'd have a hard time believing that he/she would make a judicial offence out of it, like an Article 15 or something. That is, unless you ask permission, are told no, then do it anyway. Then it's out-and-out insubordination, for which I'd crush you, too. If you simply denied knowing the regulation, though, then they might show mercy... as long as you come home safely.

Not that I'm advocating breaking regs, as I'd NEVER [cough] do that, but really, it's not a huge deal. I know buddies who travel to Cabo and Cancun all the time on leave without anyone saying anything. If you're caught, I'd guess that your likely punishment would be a written counseling statement from your commander or NCOIC. A filed letter of reprimand from an O-3/O-5 is probably the worst you'd face, and even then, I'd think it would be a slim chance of happening.

Best of luck. Hope to see you down there!

PS> I am not a JAG officer, and none of what I've stated is to be taken as official advice. Just commentary. Don't blame me if your CSM tears you a new butthole.

PSS> For those of you who are military and do choose to come, I have some travel tips. I bet TacoDoc does, too. Bottom line: No one down there needs to know you're military. It's your business, not theirs.

Follow-up to above:

NORTHCOM Message, Force Protection Directive, 25OCT2011

Bottom Line: "THIS DIRECTIVE APPLIES TO ALL DOD PERSONNEL OVER WHICH COMMANDER USNORTHCOM HAS FORCE PROTECTION RESPONSIBILITY lAW THE UNIFIED COMMAND PLAN (UCP) AND IS VALID UNTIL 01 APR 2012.

"COMMANDER USNORTHCOM DIRECTS THAT ALL ROUTINE NON-OFFICIAL TRAVEL (LEAVE AND PASS) IS PROHIBITED TO THE STATES OF MICHOACAN, TAMAULIPAS, CHIHUAHUA, SINALOA, DURANGO, COAHUILA, NUEVO LEON, SAN LUIS POTOSI, JALISCO AND ZACATECAS.

"THIS TRAVEL DIRECTIVE APPLIES TO ALL ACTIVE COMPONENT PERSONNEL AND READY RESERVE PERSONNEL OF THE RESERVE COMPONENTS (NOT TO INCLUDE MEMBERS OF THE NATIONAL GUARD). IT ALSO APPLIES TO DOD CIVILIANS, DOD DEPENDENTS, ALL OTHER MEMBERS OF THE RESERVE COMPONENTS (WHEN ORGANIZED UNDER TITLE 10 OF UNITED STATES CODE)."

So, it appears that all DoD personnel who fall under USNORTHCOM for North American Force Protection (which is most of us) are prohibited from particular states. This includes reservists who are in Ready Reserve "drilling" status under Title 10. (So, I guess I was wrong with my statement above: most reservists are prohibited, too. Oops.) Standby Reserves and Retired Reserves are not included in this group. Guardsmen are not, either, as long as their particular state hasn't ruled on this, too.

Unfortunately, the Mexican states that are listed would pretty much kill a drive, as it would require a trip through them. Fortunately, this directive ends in April, long before the Maya Rally kicks off. Let's hope it fall off the radar and is not renewed! (Yeah, right.)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Talked with my XO as well and he didn't seem to think it was going to be a problem. YMMV

This. I spoke with my CO (O-6 type) and his interpretation is that it's up to the discretion of the unit commanding officer, O-6 or higher can sign the ********. All ATFP pre-reqs etc etc must be met.

Vamanos! :costumed-smiley-007

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
How are teams being handled? Meaning can a team of 2-3 or more vehicles win the event together? Or is just one team per vehicle? Have you considered people from Central America countries participating and them driving up for the event rather then us driving down? So I guess I am asking is this more of a N. America specific event when it comes to how points will be acquired. Are points going to be acquired anywhere in the region of Mexico and Central America or will these be specific items or places I have to visit to score points?

I realize it is hard to answer tall these questions now or even before the mailing of the package with details, however depending on some of these details may depend on how I planned my trip as well as how I prepared my vehicle for it. I get that you guys are going for no designated routes and I like this but if I need an item from a specific location or area I have to travel there to get those points!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
How are teams being handled? Meaning can a team of 2-3 or more vehicles win the event together? Or is just one team per vehicle? Have you considered people from Central America countries participating and them driving up for the event rather then us driving down? So I guess I am asking is this more of a N. America specific event when it comes to how points will be acquired. Are points going to be acquired anywhere in the region of Mexico and Central America or will these be specific items or places I have to visit to score points?

I realize it is hard to answer tall these questions now or even before the mailing of the package with details, however depending on some of these details may depend on how I planned my trip as well as how I prepared my vehicle for it. I get that you guys are going for no designated routes and I like this but if I need an item from a specific location or area I have to travel there to get those points!

One team per vehicle, but as many people as you want in the car. I think we even have some points allocated for that...

To be honest, I don't expect many people driving up, but if that happens we'll sort out something. Good point.

Points will be acquired between Guanuajuato (where we have a pre-departure optional party) and the final location, and possibly Belize too. We want people to drive away from the Mexican border as fast as possible and start the fun a bit further down, although some of the things to gather could be done before Guanujuato.

So really, they only designated area you should plan on hitting is Guanuajuato/San Miguel and the final Maya ruin. Belize will be optional.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
One team per vehicle, but as many people as you want in car. I think we even have some points allocated for that...

To be honest, I don't expect many people driving up, but if that happens we'll sort out something. Good point.

Points will be acquired between Guanuajuato (where we have a pre-departure optional party) and the final location, and possibly Belize too. We want people to drive away from the Mexican border as fast as possible and start the fun a bit further down, although some of the things to gather could be done before Guanujuato.

So really, they only designated area you should plan on hitting is Guanuajuato/San Miguel and the final Maya ruin. Belize will be optional.

Sounds good. Thanks for clarification Christian. I looked at Guanuajuato on the map and the date for the meet there being roughly 10 days before 12-21, this helps a lot with planning.

cheers

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
that would suc* if you guys can't drive to Mexico.

Based on the travel restrictions we have, that seems to be the case. Right now my command is in burn mode on even the slightest infraction (a company commander was just relieved for something idiotic) so I'm putting off bringing this any higher on the chain of command. I hope that if we are traveling in a group (SoCal team!) and can come up with a defined route and plan I'll have ammo to use in my argument.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Have these been answered already?
Re #1; You've mentioned a meeting in Guanajuato and obviously the finish party. Anything else?

I'm new to this type of rally, can you give me/us an idea of how points are earned?

We are trying to build this event so you get to discover and do some fun stuff while accumulating points.

One example is for instance: 10 points for an unopen bottle of Mezcal from an obscure distillery in Oaxaca.

The team who accumulate the most points win (for each category).

In addition to the existing contributors, I just "enlisted" Luis from LostWorldExpedition, who spent many many months in Mexico to help us with putting this list together.
It's already shaping up to be quite fun.

In addition to this, we are also preparing a really nice goodies package for the participants. I spent many hours last night talking with Charlie at Expedition Apparel...

:)

One last thing, after the rally we will most likely head to Belize for some relaxing time on the beach. This will be totally optional.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I hope that if we are traveling in a group (SoCal team!) and can come up with a defined route and plan I'll have ammo to use in my argument.

I believe that is the plan. I've been in contact with a few members and am willing to lead down to GJ. We'll see if this comes together ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan