Maybe a Disco?

Pushbutton

Ok, I have read multiple times that if you dont need a land rover get something else, but I still have to ask. I am looking for an SUV that will be with me for a max of 3 years. All it needs to do is provide space for survey equipment and camping gear, have a good on-road ride for long trips on the highway, and be a 4x4 that can tackle decent trails without too much modification. (small lift and tires at most) The reason for this is that I am an archaeologist and my job is taking me out west for 2-3 years. It also takes me to Belize every year. Most of the sites I work on are in areas that require at least a semi-competent 4x4 to get to.

So at first I looked at LCs, they would be perfect, but I'm looking to try and do this as cheap as possible. I'm really a sports car kind of guy, but I need a good 4x4 and if I am still going to be in the states after the next 3 years (may be moving to London) then I will be looking into something more expensive and permanent at that point. With that said, the Disco crossed my mind because they are a dime a dozen on the used car market right now and they are cheap. Now I know they have problems, but I dont mind wrenching at all. I also really like the look of the Disco, it has always appealed to me, it is just there are a few turn offs that kind of get me. Mainly the V8 that has tiny power and a great thirst. I know it needs premium (which doesnt bother me, I use it anyway) but how bad is it to use lesser fuels such as you would find in Central America?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is would a Disco work for my needs for the duration I need it? Also, what should I look for? I figure a Disco 1 as new as I can reasonably get, but how much higher are maintenance costs on a Disco II? What should I be aware of when looking at Disco 1's? I know a good maintenance record is a key thing to have. I generally require one with any used car purchase I make anyway, but what things should I look for when inspecting the car? My only other choice in the price range is a Montero and they are a pain to find. I refuse to purchase anything made by an American company. (besides the fact that parts for them are a pain to source in Belize, at least Land Rovers have been there for a little while....) And one last thing, what upgrades should I factor into the cost to get a Disco trail worthy. Now I have read the forums and have a general idea, but what else would be suggested for hauling a few hundred pounds of equipment while doing it? Thanks for all the help!!

And who knows.... Maybe I will end up getting bit by the LR bug too.... :wings:

jham

Adventurer
A disco would work for what you need it for. It's not the only vehicle that will work for that purpose, obviously, but it would fit your needs just fine.

If you're storing gear and doing lots of on road driving, look at an early D2. I just bought one with a brand new engine for $4500. They are out there. The D2 is longer, and all the extra space is in the rear storage area. DII behaves better on the road, too.

Look for a 99 D1 or a 2000ish DII with a CDL. If you want serviceability, try to find one with no ACE or SLS. I don't have experience with those, so I may be wrong. However, it seems to me that coils on all corners leaves less to go wrong.

Look at service history. A rover with a good service history will serve you well with minimal headaches. I can name 10 people right who are approaching 200k miles with no major breakdowns. With a Land Rover, its about preventative maintenance. If you are unsure about the service history, walk away. A poorly treated rover is a nightmare you don't want to deal with.

That's my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, and good luck in your search.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Agreed.

Maintenance records are a must, especially with an aluminum block.

Have you considered a LWB Range Rover? They have quite a bit of room and have a larger engine - the 4.2, which is more powerful than the 4.0 in the Disco.

But be very very careful... once Lucas has you in his grasp, he never lets you go.:ylsmoke:

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Also the Rangie comes with too much sophistication like full electronic air suspension and all. I would try to avoid that on an expedition vehicle.

I would go for the best and latest Series1 Discovery I could get my hands on. I've got one of the very last '98 Discovery1's, it's a 300tdi manual. It's as basic as can be, a 2door on steel wheels, electric windows and aircon is all it has. No sunroofs or anything. That one is in South Africa, I don't want something with too many electrics in it. I've looked at a DII as well, a V8, but stepped away from it because of the self levelling air supsension in the back and all the extra sophistication. Sure they ride and handle better, but I want something that's easy to fix if it goes wrong, and the less there is, the better it is!

A D1 will make an awesome vehicle. But if you take if offroad fairly regulary I would take the anti-sway bars off. It does increase body roll but you get more articulation out of the suspension.

A full service history is almost a must if you take it away from civilisation for a longer time. You just don't want it to break down..

Good luck in your search, and above all, enjoy!

Koos

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Coil conversion is easy and cheap.:ylsmoke: As a former DI owner, I would never go back from Rangie to Disco. But I do like the Discos.:smiley_drive:

Very true, that can be done. But it's also all the electrickery that controls practically everything else in there. It's got an ECU to control the seats...

I do understand your point, Rangie's are awesome, incredibly comfortable and all. But in the case of this person, he wants to carry lots of stuff as well. A D1 has a more practical interior than a Rangie, it's much taller. I know the LSE Rangie's have an 8"longer wheelbase, but still. I reckon the D1 is more practical. And a bit simpler.

And if you were to change the air suspension on the Rangie for coils, than it rides pretty much the same as a D1 anyway.

Koos..

cruiser guy

Explorer
My only other choice in the price range is a Montero and they are a pain to find. I refuse to purchase anything made by an American company. (besides the fact that parts for them are a pain to source in Belize, at least Land Rovers have been there for a little while....)

Land Rovers and Belize....

http://www.adventurefamily.ca/CurrentTrip.htm

Check out from Day 19, Jan. 3 and tell me how easy Land Rover parts are available in Belize! That sounds like the kind of trip that you don't want to do twice!

I have travelled in Belize and there are not alot of Land Rovers there or anywhere else in Central America. Your first thought is easier to find parts for though, with either one you're screwed in Mexico.

Jwestpro

Explorer
A D1 will make an awesome vehicle. But if you take if offroad fairly regulary I would take the anti-sway bars off. It does increase body roll but you get more articulation out of the suspension.

He did spec long road trips so removing the sway from a DI would not be a good idea, they are awfully capable with even just slightly oversized tires like a 245/75x16 bfg at and a cheap enough spring&damper kit will ad 1.5-2" and not hurt the hwy handling at all.

I have run my 96 disco for 175k miles so far, total 216k on the odometer, with no troubles but have replaced lots of worn out things. Never stranded though.

If you have a little more $ an 04 disco II can be had for $10k-$15k sometimes with the couple mods you want already done. Much, much better road trip ride and almost "sporty" engine and handling compared to the DI.

I know, I have both and have traveled far with each and run them through rough and deep trails too. DI for best trail toy, 04 DII for best all around.

Pushbutton

Land Rovers and Belize....

http://www.adventurefamily.ca/CurrentTrip.htm

Check out from Day 19, Jan. 3 and tell me how easy Land Rover parts are available in Belize! That sounds like the kind of trip that you don't want to do twice!

I have travelled in Belize and there are not alot of Land Rovers there or anywhere else in Central America. Your first thought is easier to find parts for though, with either one you're screwed in Mexico.

Thanks for the info everyone! It has been really really helpful. As for no Land Rovers in Central America, well I cant speak for Mexico or Guatemala, but the convoy we will take to a few places in Belize usually has no less than 6 Discos, 2 Defenders, and a Range Rover. There are many more then you think down there, but they are in the great minority to the insane amount of Land Cruisers that are around.

That site was great tho. Nice reading about someone elses experiences in Belize, although he did not sound really prepared for what life in Belize is like! I know Graham personally and yes, outside of San Ignacio anything is hard to find. Lucky I'm based out of San Ignacio.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
As a former DI owner, I would never go back from Rangie to Disco. But I do like the Discos.:smiley_drive:

My sentiments exactly. I regret selling my 1988 RRC on a daily basis. I cant quite put my finger on it but off road the RRC was just better, they both had CDL and the RRC even had the 3.5 as opposed to the 3.9 but it just walked all over the Disco.

marc olivares

Adventurer
you dont "need" a land rover. i'd say a mid 90's toyota pickup would better suit your needs and would not be as much of a theft target once your out of the us. toy pickups will also blend in and are easier to get parts for.

spikemd

Explorer
Your worst nightmare would be buying a RR and then putting tons of money into it for repairs or just general maintance to make it trail-worthy and semi-reliable. If you get a solid 80 or 100 series that has the basic maintenance done, it should last the 2-3 years without too much worry. They are solid, reliable, easy to work on and parts should be available. Also, with a Land Cruiser, it may cost more upfront, but you will definitely get more back in resale value. over the next 3 years, a good 80 or 100 series LC will not drop in value as dramatically as a LR. And if you have to put in a bunch of money to a D1, D2 or RR, you will definitely not get that back in resale value. Look long term and overall maintenance/resale costs, not just short-term acquisition costs.

I would also recommend a fourth generation 4Runner as it is the same platform as the Prado/FJCruiser. Very capable, comfortable and reliable. A 2003 right now is more affordable then a 100 series but has the same reliable engine (V8), better tranny and updated. I have seen some 2003 4Runners for less than $12K.

:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Buy any Toyota that fits your needs, Rovers are great but they are more a hobby. My Toyota 4runner was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, I only reason I sold it was because I got bit by the Rover bug. I love Rovers but am not blinded by the fact that there are tons of other vehicles out there that are cheaper and more reliable. By what makes you happy.

Scott Brady

Founder
Buy an Isuzu Trooper, put gas in it - Done

It is perfect for what you want to do, and there is repair/support for these trucks throughout the Americas. They are 9/10ths Toyota reliability and super cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior