Maybe it's the excessive price tags

Grassland

Came across this article today

Considering a Cherokee Trailhawk with the luxury package is 58K CAD locally and they don't want to deal, might have something to do with it.
Same thing with the Ram 1500 classics. It's a high MSRP for a design that launched in 2009.
One lot has dozens of them in the remote storage parking a block from the dealership.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Not gonna lie my neighbor has a Renegade that has a full overland build and it's pretty rad. I kind of have a crush on them, they're like the cute petite next door neighbor lol

Looked at a 90K fully loaded platinum Expedition this past weekend. Right next to it was a 88k Badlands Sasquatch bronco. Next to the bronco was a 76k F150 Lariat.

So insane.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Not gonna lie my neighbor has a Renegade that has a full overland build and it's pretty rad. I kind of have a crush on them, they're like the cute petite next door neighbor lol

Looked at a 90K fully loaded platinum Expedition this past weekend. Right next to it was a 88k Badlands Sasquatch bronco. Next to the bronco was a 76k F150 Lariat.

So insane.
Last month Ford was offering a $4,750 rebate on F150's. Must've just changed for June.

Grassland

So insane.
I was looking at used ones as a "cheap" commuter that can be used for bush camping as well when I'm not with my wife and the trailer.
Used Trailhawk were like 30k and new ones were around 40k or something. I forget. It was far too high, especially with their mediocre reliability

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was looking at used ones as a "cheap" commuter that can be used for bush camping as well when I'm not with my wife and the trailer.
Used Trailhawk were like 30k and new ones were around 40k or something. I forget. It was far too high, especially with their mediocre reliability
Been a couple neat builds here:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Tried to buy my wife one so I could play with it lol - no dice (baby Jeep)

I had two Samurais in a previous life and the places those things would go! Easy to unstick too

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Covid allowed EVERYONE to raise the MSRP on new vehicles 20+ percent in the last 2-3 years.

There is still LOT'S of price room to deal IF and WHEN the OEM's need to.

Rebates and finance deals are already in place on slower moving vehicles.

It's just a matter of time on the more popular models.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I was looking at a 1500 Classic Warlock, loaded up for $50k CAD ($37,250 USD) that was languishing on a local lot with (over $18k off MSRP) and just when I thought “forget it, I’m gonna go see what kind of deal I can get” the dealer was sold to another conglomerate dealership and the same truck has gone up to $56k last I looked.

Nope.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Covid allowed EVERYONE to raise the MSRP on new vehicles 20+ percent in the last 2-3 years.

There is still LOT'S of price room to deal IF and WHEN the OEM's need to.

Rebates and finance deals are already in place on slower moving vehicles.

It's just a matter of time on the more popular models.
Titans are starting to be up to 10k off msrp

Grassland

Titans are starting to be up to 10k off msrp
They don't even sell those up in Canada anymore, and I've yet to see more than two frontiers on a lot at once at any given time.

55k for a Ram Classic is not worth it at all and it can sit on the lot and rust. Especially at 5-8% finance rates.
58k for a Cherokee is ludicrous. I'd consider one for 40, maaaaybe 45. Sure wouldn't pay in the 40s for a Renegade.

In my industry, we've been slammed with shortages, delays, increases. We've raised prices to cover cost increases. Margins the same. Job we would do for $3600-3800 in 21 is now $4000-4200.
If we applied vehicle mark ups/increases to our work it would be $4500-4750 or even more.

Fiddled with the build and price, 2022 Ram classic Warlock ended up around 55K, 2022 Cherokee Trailhawk was 51k, 2022 Renegade Trailhawk was 41K.
Might be why they aren't moving

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, prices are high, my son just bought a 23 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, loaded, with 11,000 miles on it, ($65K). It has a turbo 4 banger, 2300 in think he said. Short trip he go 30 mpg! Dang!

That thing is not a small vehicle, I drove it and it was more like my F 150, but quicker, more responsive and a nice ride. His is a rag top, dual air was nice and heated seats. For that money it should come with a fridge!

Then I started thinking, I sure saved a lot of money buying a 2020 F-150 4x4 and his Bronco really can't haul much.

I WILL NEVER BUY A CORE DRINK, EVER!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
They don't even sell those up in Canada anymore, and I've yet to see more than two frontiers on a lot at once at any given time.

55k for a Ram Classic is not worth it at all and it can sit on the lot and rust. Especially at 5-8% finance rates.
58k for a Cherokee is ludicrous. I'd consider one for 40, maaaaybe 45. Sure wouldn't pay in the 40s for a Renegade.

In my industry, we've been slammed with shortages, delays, increases. We've raised prices to cover cost increases. Margins the same. Job we would do for $3600-3800 in 21 is now $4000-4200.
If we applied vehicle mark ups/increases to our work it would be $4500-4750 or even more.

Fiddled with the build and price, 2022 Ram classic Warlock ended up around 55K, 2022 Cherokee Trailhawk was 51k, 2022 Renegade Trailhawk was 41K.
Might be why they aren't moving
Do you need the Trailhawk?
The Cherokees are decent little rigs. We had a North with the V6 and tow pkg.
I often thought about a small lift and meatier rubber for it. But never pulled the trigger.
I think they are being phased out after '23?

13575775_10209173573163986_1911230519143758850_o.jpg

kahos

Yeah, prices are pretty wild from a Canadian perspective.

It feels as if the domestic automakers have raised their prices across the board a lot more significantly than their import competitors. More so for models that haven't received significant upgrades or changes.

It looks as if Chrysler has got it worse than the rest. The most inventory with the highest price increases for the same product?

I "get it" for trucks as they weren't able to keep them in stock for a while and there was very strong demand down south.

But with the pricy cost of borrowing it's a one-two punch of silly prices.

A 56k CAD Cherokee trailhawk doesn't compare very favourably to a 42k CAD forester wilderness IMO (unless you really need the extra off road capability/ low range transfer case. And base to base the price delta is even more significant between a vanilla forester and vanilla cherokee. Wrangler pricing is just straight up gouging.

I bought a leftover '19 F-150 STX that stickered for "52k" for just under 40k before a few weeks covid hits. The "same" truck now has an MSRP of "65k" and minimal discounts. It's not $20 000 better. If anything it got decontented some.

That's more expensive than a nicely appointed 302A XLT used to cost a few years back. So I bought a used one instead.

I think with the 2024 refresh and the inventory buildup we might see some better pricing at the end of the year / next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan