MAZ Expo rig?????

Snarky

Hell Paso
IIRC correctly those are also used as SCUD launcher platforms too. I heard that the starting process for the engine is a bit complicated. I think it involves heating the cylinders like a glow plug system, but then using a pressure system to push the pistons down to start it up, kind of like a boat. But I can only somewhat recall the article on it. I think it's a 39L engine?

I think the HEMTT is nicer because it's fairly road worthy. Unfortunately they are rare in the US as surplus, but obtainable depending on your pocket book, you can probably even get the better commercial versions from Oshkosh.
hemtt_ft_1_of_7.jpg

I think the fire truck variant would make an awesome expo vehicle that would be relatively affordable to fuel.

Still, I bet the Scud Trucks are more obtainable. You can probably even get a missile too, you can probably pick one up in any Eastern European Country. Like the ad said, $40,000 per truck.

smote

While we're daydreaming:
id_lvs_mk17_700_01.jpg
Having gotten more than a few of these un-stuck, one gets to appreciate the articulation, plus the diff and axle locks.
Not sure how practical an overlander it would make, though.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The width of the MAZ would be an issue - 2975mm or about 10 feet?

I'd take a Tatra 813 or 815 over that or the HEMMIT...

6x6pinz

Adventurer
more realistic is the Ural 4320's. I can't believe I let one slip through my hands a few years back. Taller tires and a tuned diesel, it would cruise comfortably (as a military truck can) at 70mph. The truck had the radio box and managed a whopping 12mpg.

d67u57

Adventurer
MAZ7907_4.jpg

holy crickey.

but i dont see this going well over a nice steep hill with that solid and mile long chassis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12