MB truck owners in North America - is it worth it?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Very good point. And if my alternator is more likely to be pooping the bed in West-Armpit, Alabama, USA rather than in Eastern WhereTheHeck-istan, I reckon I'll have much better luck getting a replacement for a 10-year-old Dodge/Ford than a 30-year-old Mercedes.

Although...

"What is the difference between an old hose and a new sensor?"

I have a better chance at temporarily patching an old hose with the rubber tape I have in my toolbox, than I do at whipping out my lap-top and trying to re-flash one of the silicon overlords under the hood to ignore a sensor input...
Reminds me of an old Cold War joke. Guy arrives in Moscow, asks which car to buy. Told to get a Lada (or some other brand.) It immediately breaks. "Thought you said this was a good car!"
"Let me show you ..." Russian takes hammer, hits car, it runs again.

In my case, it was the starter that burned out because the first owner of the truck changed the fuel tank and someone left paper towels in the tank; which plugged the fuel line and starved the engine.

The real challenge has been a very expensive new speedometer and the inability to replace a drag link. Grrr!

Also, conversion to single rear wheels requires the use of an extremely stiff tire - way over the weight rating. (Of course - no flats to far!)

A lifetime in Africa makes me a big fan of long travel, soft suspension, with stiff shocks. The other part of dirt road survival is the strength of your camper box and proper internal bracing with every wire and hose properly secured and protected against chaffing, etc.

tonydca

A lifetime in Africa makes me a big fan of long travel, soft suspension, with stiff shocks. The other part of dirt road survival is the strength of your camper box and proper internal bracing with every wire and hose properly secured and protected against chaffing, etc.

I believe that the closer to the ground that the bumps and rattles can be smoothed out, the better (i.e. wherever practical, using the tires is better than using the suspension which is better than using the subframe/cab mounts which is better than using air-ride seats). Reduces stress on all the things - not least of all the driver!!

For this reason, I'm very interested in the Kelderman air suspension for domestic full-size trucks that @Healeyjet is using on their rig - I get the impression from their posts that they are happy with it - one more tick box in the "Buy Local" column for me..

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I believe that the closer to the ground that the bumps and rattles can be smoothed out, the better (i.e. wherever practical, using the tires is better than using the suspension which is better than using the subframe/cab mounts which is better than using air-ride seats). Reduces stress on all the things - not least of all the driver!!

For this reason, I'm very interested in the Kelderman air suspension for domestic full-size trucks that @Healeyjet is using on their rig - I get the impression from their posts that they are happy with it - one more tick box in the "Buy Local" column for me..
See also, Liquid Spring. No experience with either.

As I know from the Sahara, low tire pressure can lead to tire failure. :cautious:

103074606.iyfFn7b9.pbaseSahara197456.jpg

lucilius

I read this MB forum often because the MB owners tend to have a lot of experience with maintenance and driving bigger campers, good, practical DIY experience, etc., a good deal of which translates to anyone driving with a camper bolted to a full size truck. I've been going the F550 route for the past 15+ years in an Earthroamer. The advice I see above is sound. I have been looking to go a little larger in order to spend more time traveling & living aboard vs what we've been doing which is mostly shorter trips <month. I am currently leaning towards Bliss, just looking for a good truck to put it on with seating for five and a pass through. The older MB's I've seen are impressive and built to a different requirement than the US trucks which for a variety of reasons seem every year to gain hp & ft lbs but harder to keep running and with a shortened lifespan....maybe soon they will all be biodegradable. As near as I can tell MB designed the trucks we can legally import (25+ years old?) to perform on&offroad, to last a long time and to carry heavy loads easily, simply and relying on proven technology & engineering in extreme terrain & conditions. If there was a reliable US-based source of MB truck parts and some decent MB shops with trained mechs for some of the big/complex jobs, I'd already have gotten an MB. Haven't yet found that to be the case and still thinking over whether to dive in to the commitment. I try to do most of my own wrenching but not looking for a part-time job as an apprentice MB mechanic with nothing much more than the internet for a teacher. My 2cents:
1. I would really focus on what you're looking to do travel-wise, the length of your trips, where you are going and how much space you will realistically need. IME, the Earthroamer is great for short to multi-week family trips but lacks the "living room/office" space needed for long term travel if you are accustomed to living in a real house. It is warm (or cool), comfortable and dry in all weather, a great base for all sorts of backcountry adventure, can negotiate any paved or decent dirt road you'll find and will be more mobility-limited by vehicle height than any other factor. Practically speaking, it is also a great hotel on wheels.
2. Think hard and honestly about whether or not you are going to spend the vast majority of your time on road or in easy to access campgrounds/sites in the USA/Canada. It is easy to have a dream about being in a relaxed zen-state churning up a mountainside talus field on your portal axles and huge tires, getting to a remote campsite by a mountain lake, then firing up the espresso machine or cracking open some cool daddies and admiring the commanding views of the Cordillera Huayhuash as you and the Mrs. pore over a mapset to find more unobtanium camping on your way south to the Carreterra Austral and more adventure...the reality is often Walmart parking lot listening to the teens doing donuts, smashing bottles and random acts of inhumanity in the parking lot at 2AM as you contemplate poorly-aimed gang-banger 9mm zipping through fiberglass camper walls or racked and stacked at a $150 a night RV "campsite" with 4' separation between rigs, everyone has a campfire going in the middle of summer and some kind of domestic drama/howling dog/drum circle/music on too loud/etc. as you drive through urban terrain en route to more mundane outings like getting to an early out of town dentist's appointments for your kids, etc. where camping was a great alternative to hotels.
2. True offroad will require a vehicle specifically designed for it (certain MB, Iveco, MAN, LMTV-type rigs all come to mind) having a high endurance/durability offroad setup designed for the full-time WEIGHT of a camper...things like the right gearing, locking diffs, CTIS, appropriate axles/GAWR, etc. IMO.....and of course wherever there is a will there is always a way....but IMO, newer (than 7.3 and 5.9 generations), camper-loaded F550/5500-type chassis trucks are great but not really designed to be field-repairable and not really [no matter what wheels/tires and shocks non-OEM hodgepodge you equip them with] well-designed for much rough offroading, deep mud&sand or solo travels deep into the North American bush, even less for 3rd world bush for a multitude of reasons, unless you have a wealthy Frenchman's approach to your time and money. That said, these US chassis trucks when not overloaded from the factory are great for the North American highways, decent on dirt roads and can clamber into a nice backcountry campsite with proper planning and a little patience. One of their real strengths is that they are great for getting around in winter with the right tires (and some chains at the ready). I'm conservative with trip and route plans, have spent more than enough time overseas not in a camper and roam the US and Canada exclusively, and have never had a real issue getting into some great spots in an F550.
3. I would visit some of the companies who make the rigs you think fit your budget and goals and spend time in them, maybe try to rent one or something similar and see what you like and don't like. Really look through all the systems and see if they pass the sniff test. There always seem to be great campers for sale on this site and others that clearly were purchased, used on a few trips and then the owners realized it was the wrong rig, wrong lifestyle, etc. and now selling. Save yourself this and take as close a look as you can at what's out there.
4. Other things that are easy to overlook are things like camper size, parking, etc. unless you plan to live on the road. Do you have a big flat driveway space, maybe even a garage with 14' RV door to keep your rig out of the weather? If it's going to live outside, do you have safe parking? A lot of neighborhoods, towns and counties have rules about parking campers that can be problematic-impossible to work around. If you are mostly going to be in North America and do end up going the 6.0, 6.4, 6.6, 6.7 newer US diesel route with an F550/5500, I would try to find a gently used rig that fits your spec, take a close look at how much it weighs...ideally you are a good deal under front and especially rear GAWR loaded for a trip because for some reason US chassis truck engineers determined that having ~2x the load on the rear axle vs the front is what they figure a loaded 550/5500 should be. I do not think they had much offroad in mind with this design and without chains or at least dedicated siped tires, going downhill on ice can be exciting as the rear end really wants to swap places with the front....but no problem with patience/chains/etc. If you want a simple and effective suspension, make the day trip to Pohl Springworks in Spokane Valley WA...they will make short work of dialing in some custom shocks, coils and leaf springs that should last as long as the truck (I am going on 6 years trouble-free driving with zero maintenance other than keeping stuff clean and rust-free). There are a LOT of folks having good luck with kelderman on F550's and the new Liquid Spring seems pretty amazing as well. For me the real question is how much more capability do you get for the money and reliability, neither kelderman nor liquid spring was an option on my truck. You can look at my profile pic and past comments (search "315/80r22") rel to tires. If you are worried about the motor, check out DFC up in Edmonton or one of the many other reputable engine reman companies. Drop in a new motor spec'd to what you want and you'll be good for a long, long time, especially in Canada.
If I make the decision to start spending a lot more time on the road in the future, I would probably try to go the Bliss route (or maybe pre-owned Unicat) with an importable MB crew cab/doka, chiefly because I would want more room and travel in the winter so I need 4x4 plus I'd want a pre-Def, etc. motor....at which point I would just have to dive in on the parts and maintenance challenge as well. We'll see.

Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I read this MB forum often because the MB owners tend to have a lot of experience with maintenance and driving bigger campers, good, practical DIY experience, etc., a good deal of which translates to anyone driving with a camper bolted to a full size truck. I've been going the F550 route for the past 15+ years in an Earthroamer. The advice I see above is sound. I have been looking to go a little larger in order to spend more time traveling & living aboard vs what we've been doing which is mostly shorter trips complex jobs, I'd already have gotten an MB. Haven't yet found that to be the case and still thinking over whether to dive in to the commitment. I try to do most of my own wrenching but not looking for a part-time job as an apprentice MB mechanic with nothing much more than the internet for a teacher. My 2cents:
1. I would really focus on what you're looking to do travel-wise, the length of your trips, where you are going and how much space you will realistically need. IME, the Earthroamer is great for short to multi-week family trips but lacks the "living room/office" space needed for long term travel if you are accustomed to living in a real house. It is warm (or cool), comfortable and dry in all weather, a great base for all sorts of backcountry adventure, can negotiate any paved or decent dirt road you'll find and will be more mobility-limited by vehicle height than any other factor. Practically speaking, it is also a great hotel on wheels.
2. Think hard and honestly about whether or not you are going to spend the vast majority of your time on road or in easy to access campgrounds/sites in the USA/Canada. It is easy to have a dream about being in a relaxed zen-state churning up a mountainside talus field on your portal axles and huge tires, getting to a remote campsite by a mountain lake, then firing up the espresso machine or cracking open some cool daddies and admiring the commanding views of the Cordillera Huayhuash as you and the Mrs. pore over a mapset to find more unobtanium camping on your way south to the Carreterra Austral and more adventure...the reality is often Walmart parking lot listening to the teens doing donuts, smashing bottles and random acts of inhumanity in the parking lot at 2AM as you contemplate poorly-aimed gang-banger 9mm zipping through fiberglass camper walls or racked and stacked at a $150 a night RV "campsite" with 4' separation between rigs, everyone has a campfire going in the middle of summer and some kind of domestic drama/howling dog/drum circle/music on too loud/etc. as you drive through urban terrain en route to more mundane outings like getting to an early out of town dentist's appointments for your kids, etc. where camping was a great alternative to hotels.
2. True offroad will require a vehicle specifically designed for it (certain MB, Iveco, MAN, LMTV-type rigs all come to mind) having a high endurance/durability offroad setup designed for the full-time WEIGHT of a camper...things like the right gearing, locking diffs, CTIS, appropriate axles/GAWR, etc. IMO.....and of course wherever there is a will there is always a way....but IMO, newer (than 7.3 and 5.9 generations), camper-loaded F550/5500-type chassis trucks are great but not really designed to be field-repairable and not really [no matter what wheels/tires and shocks non-OEM hodgepodge you equip them with] well-designed for much rough offroading, deep mud&sand or solo travels deep into the North American bush, even less for 3rd world bush for a multitude of reasons, unless you have a wealthy Frenchman's approach to your time and money. That said, these US chassis trucks when not overloaded from the factory are great for the North American highways, decent on dirt roads and can clamber into a nice backcountry campsite with proper planning and a little patience. One of their real strengths is that they are great for getting around in winter with the right tires (and some chains at the ready). I'm conservative with trip and route plans, have spent more than enough time overseas not in a camper and roam the US and Canada exclusively, and have never had a real issue getting into some great spots in an F550.
3. I would visit some of the companies who make the rigs you think fit your budget and goals and spend time in them, maybe try to rent one or something similar and see what you like and don't like. Really look through all the systems and see if they pass the sniff test. There always seem to be great campers for sale on this site and others that clearly were purchased, used on a few trips and then the owners realized it was the wrong rig, wrong lifestyle, etc. and now selling. Save yourself this and take as close a look as you can at what's out there.
4. Other things that are easy to overlook are things like camper size, parking, etc. unless you plan to live on the road. Do you have a big flat driveway space, maybe even a garage with 14' RV door to keep your rig out of the weather? If it's going to live outside, do you have safe parking? A lot of neighborhoods, towns and counties have rules about parking campers that can be problematic-impossible to work around. If you are mostly going to be in North America and do end up going the 6.0, 6.4, 6.6, 6.7 newer US diesel route with an F550/5500, I would try to find a gently used rig that fits your spec, take a close look at how much it weighs...ideally you are a good deal under front and especially rear GAWR loaded for a trip because for some reason US chassis truck engineers determined that having ~2x the load on the rear axle vs the front is what they figure a loaded 550/5500 should be. I do not think they had much offroad in mind with this design and without chains or at least dedicated siped tires, going downhill on ice can be exciting as the rear end really wants to swap places with the front....but no problem with patience/chains/etc. If you want a simple and effective suspension, make the day trip to Pohl Springworks in Spokane Valley WA...they will make short work of dialing in some custom shocks, coils and leaf springs that should last as long as the truck (I am going on 6 years trouble-free driving with zero maintenance other than keeping stuff clean and rust-free). There are a LOT of folks having good luck with kelderman on F550's and the new Liquid Spring seems pretty amazing as well. For me the real question is how much more capability do you get for the money and reliability, neither kelderman nor liquid spring was an option on my truck. You can look at my profile pic and past comments (search "315/80r22") rel to tires. If you are worried about the motor, check out DFC up in Edmonton or one of the many other reputable engine reman companies. Drop in a new motor spec'd to what you want and you'll be good for a long, long time, especially in Canada.
If I make the decision to start spending a lot more time on the road in the future, I would probably try to go the Bliss route (or maybe pre-owned Unicat) with an importable MB crew cab/doka, chiefly because I would want more room and travel in the winter so I need 4x4 plus I'd want a pre-Def, etc. motor....at which point I would just have to dive in on the parts and maintenance challenge as well. We'll see.
This ought to be the sign off document for any major overland vehicle purchase.

I'll chime in here.
I am in Joe's old 1993 "heffalump" and likely the least mechanically experienced of the group. I've been traveling/living in this truck for just over 2 years now. Roaming between the PNW and Baja. I spent several years considering a long term home after traveling in all sorts of vehicles. VW Westafalia, Subaru WRX wagon, Freightliner fl60, etc.. I don't think there is a right answer for what type of rig is best for traveling. The Westy was fun, but it could not support extended days/weeks in the winter (snowboarding is my favorite sport) and the brakes were no fun while traveling in Gautemala and some of the mountains of Mexico.

The big drawbacks of these larger rigs is size, speed, and by far, parts availability.
1. In my experience, many shops in the USA won't touch them. As it turns out, I've had better luck seeking out latin owned shops who familiar with making diagnosis without an ECU or diagrams. Getting parts can be a pain and some of the N. American vendors have really capitalized on their rarity.
2. These are slow as ********. That has huge impact on traveling for me. I don't make 1 day trips anymore. And what can be done in a 12 hours in a regular vehicle often becomes a multi-day trip for me. I typically won't travel more than 200-300 miles per day now.

Pros.
1. They are for the most part robust. In my case, I've inherited a mix bag. In someways, it's been tried and true. But there are what appears to have been countless roadside repairs which were in some cases never resolved 100%. There So I've been dealing with several gremlins. Some of the systems are also quite dated so there have been costly system upgrades.
2. Size can be an issue when trying to fit in some places. The sidewalls and roof have battle marks that can testify to that. However, I can say I've taken this thin in places where my other vehicles could not venture. I can't count how many times I've been axel deep in sand/snow. I've been stuck many times, but always been able to self recover with a shovel, traction boards, modifying air pressures, and time. The slowness has drastically changed how I travel. But I carry over 97% of everything I own with me. So my timeline has also drastically changed. I am actually down in N. Baja right now south of San Felipe. I just crossed the peninsula and spent a few unplanned days exploring the desert since everything was so stunning during a full bloom. I def would not have done that in my old Westy,

I do struggle much more with the technical and mechanical side vs the average MB owner on this forum. These rigs are NOT for most. But it's become the first place I've owned that I call home. It feels warm and brings smiles to everyplace it's traveled. I've never once regretted making this purchase.
Having said all that, if you are in the market for rigs of this size. I'd also strongly consider other options. Maybe something with stronger N. American support that runs off something like a Cummins engine and Allison transmission. If you feel strongly about a MB truck, try to scope some out in person. That is what I did when I was leaning towards and Fuso or NPR. Seeing them in person changed my mind about them.

Geo.Lander

Since you’re in Canada, the real “pinnacle” MB truck (other than a Unimog) would be an 1828 Atego. From the 2000-06 era; not the earlier trucks with the 366 engines. Modern, reliable engine (906LA with 286 hp, ~820 ft-lb, superlong oil change intervals up to 1200h/60k km), maybe an autoshifting manual, much nicer cabin than a pre 98 model. No problem with high sulfur fuel.
GVWR up to 18 metric tons depending on tires.
From 2000-06. Get Euro 3 versions, avoid EGR if present in 05 or later. Though it’s easily removed.
This is great info!

Geo.Lander

Scholars differ, but my quick answer would be "no."

Understanding that my truck has spent several years traveling in the US and is now in Europe, I would go with something else.

Some comments:

-- Parts for a 1990 MB truck are an issue, even in Europe. There are lots of work arounds, but very often I am told that the parts are simply no longer available. (e.g. radiator hose, drag link, etc.) Fortunately, I have not needed many and basic filters, etc. are not a problem. But many, like shocks, have to come from Europe and a surprising number of dealers will simply not ship to the US. (Didn't see that coming in the age of DHL.)

-- Age is an issue; I have spent a lot of time and money on things that have aged out, e.g., speedometer.

-- The carrying capacity is wonderful - I never have to worry about overloading the truck. But, the suspension is not designed for dirt. If you want to spend any time on bad roads, be prepared to import new springs/shocks from a speciality shop in Europe. (Vermonster has, I believe, been happy with this.)

-- The cab view is wonderful, nice when driving on the wrong side of the road in UK. But the noise is noticeable and the speed severely limited. Probably the biggest annoyance in UK has been the width - the truck is about one foot wider than is comfortable to drive or park. (Got the ticket to prove the last point!)

All in all, our previous vehicle, based on a Chevrolet 3500HD, was simply a joy to drive compared to the 917AF.

Building on a North American platform, I would look at 5500 or heavier - which introduces its own problems.

All FWiW, YMMV, ask other opinions, check our blog, etc. ;)

Great info here, and I know you wanted replies from fellow yanks but I have to say, the OM366 engine parts are mostly generic, esp fuel system, air fittings, belts and hoses. These engines are also in most CLAAS machines and parts lists online in the EU are quite hard to find, mostly of course in German but the parts do exist in a good number, if you know where to look.
I have found several NOS interior and cab fittings I thought would be impossible to find, AV in the UK are also experts at finding the impossible. So parts can be found and the "main" engine components are by far the most numerous in the EU and Africa of any truck.

So as usual, where are you planning on visiting?

Joe917

Explorer
We had the Heffalump for about 9 years and lived in it for about 5 of those.
The previous owner had lived in it full time for 18 years.
If you full time in one of these trucks speed becomes less of an issue than if you are doing 1 or 2 week trips. You will probably have to wrench a lot yourself but they are fairly simple. Sometimes you may get stuck waiting for parts, at least you have somewhere comfortable to live!
Not for everyone. Go into this with your eyes open, when we sold the Heffalump I spent a lot of time going over systems and detailing all known issues. They will amaze you where they can go. They are expensive and time consuming but... driving a vehicle like this opens so many doors. People are fascinated by it and just want to show you their part of the world. I cannot stress this enough how excited people get when you show up!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Nice! What dates are you planning to pass Sogndal?
Not sure. The macro plan is to ferry to the Netherlands and then work our way up to the ferry at the top of Denmark. From there, up the Norwegian coast and back down, perhaps through Sweden.
Were hoping to stick the truck in a campground near Flam, take the train up, then down to Bergen (to see if Grieg is receiving guests ;) ), and then back up the fjord by boat.

All open to change.

lost1

I am impressed with the depth of knowledge expressed here. As pretty much everything has been covered except personal choice. Being in Canada, you have the option to get a vehicle that is only 15 + years old as opposed to the US 25 years old. If you consider buying a non-domestic truck abroad, I would suggest getting as best condition a truck with as many options as you can possibly afford rather than trying to accessorize/outfit in Canada (this will save you much time and money).
Having a unique vehicle opens doors, people are inherently curious and are often inclined to approach you about your truck or travels. In my case this has led to many invitations, offers of support and just really interesting conversations. I don't get the same reaction when I am traveling with my Subaru as I do with the Unimog or Defender. Of course this also depends on your personality too. This may seem as a bit of a stretch, but I also think that a unique or uncommon vehicle is a theft deterrent.
I wanted a vehicle that could stand the test of time, be driven (albeit slowly..) for days or months on end in crappy corrugated forest service roads, would be tolerable on paved roads and wouldn't be overloaded if I wanted a few weeks of autonomy in nature.
For this I sacrificed speed, road-going comfort, ease of sourcing spares, greasy and bruised knuckles, and patience.

There really is no such thing as a best vehicle for overlanding. Each one has its merits and downsides. I used to think that my motorcycle was by far the most suitable vehicle for traveling the planet and spent years doing just that but as I am now over half a century old, the prospects of that level of simplicity are somewhat less desirable to me (and my wife..)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears