McVick's NX650!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Here it is! A 1988 Honda NX650!
3854219513_9f1afe4667.jpg

Single cylinder, air cooled, 4-stroke, 644cc engine with dual exhaust.
86" long, 35" wide, 48" tall with a seat height of 34" and a wheel base of 56".
Front suspension travel is 8.7". Rear suspension travel is 7.7"
Curb weight is 370 pounds with 4 gallons of fuel including reserve.
3855008218_c1b32892eb.jpg

This bike is 22 years old and in great condition. The last two owners did a great job with maintaining it, one of them was a mechanic so I know it has been cared for.
3854219267_3644fefdd2.jpg

On top of that the NX650 has a solid reputation for being a reliable dual sport and has gained quite a following of satisfied owners.
3855008404_ba057de51f.jpg

As the new owner I am working on starting the maintenance schedule fresh. So far I have cleaned and oiled the chain, greased all the zirk points, and changed the oil. Next will be checking the air filter and re-jetting the carb for an altitude somewhere between Phoenix and Flagstaff, maybe around 3500 feet. The bike is currently jetted for 8,000 in Flagstaff but down here at sea level the engine is just a bit rough at low rpm.

Very Exciting! :victory:

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Those are great bikes Brian!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now that you have yours, what is Amy getting?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Now that you have yours, what is Amy getting?

Amy is still trying to decide what she would like. She is planning to ride this bike as well for a while until she has a better idea of what she likes or doesn't like. She is just as tall as me and all muscle so this bike fits her well too.

Brian

RHINO

Expedition Leader
great bike, if you dont know already google honda dominator for the non USA NX (kinda) still being made. find her another nx so you can match, or better yet find her a tengai, always liked those too.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Amy is still trying to decide what she would like. She is planning to ride this bike as well for a while until she has a better idea of what she likes or doesn't like. She is just as tall as me and all muscle so this bike fits her well too.

Brian

Uh-oh. You better hope she doesn't decide that *she* should have the NX. You might have a fight on your hands.

Of course, if it does come down to that, let us know when and where you're going to throw down. We wanna watch!

:elkgrin:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Just took the bike out for a little spin. Some stop and go clutch and brake work along with a few turns.

There was a considerable amount of chuga chuga while going slow with low rpm. I'm thinking I may need to re-jet the carb for Phoenix altitude sooner than later.

A very comfortable and well balanced bike, I'm looking forward to the miles ahead!

Now to read up on the carb. :coffee:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The only Honda carbs I have ever monkeyed with are on my rat-bike (circa. 1980)...but it is simple enough to move the metering rods up to get more gas through.

GSer

Congratulations, that is a great bike! :bike_rider:
I had a 1987 XL600R, and I bet that it had a similar engine and running gear. I had it when I lived in CO and it was fun, simple and reliable.
The XL600Rs I have seen lately are very worn out, so you made a great find.

Here it is! A 1988 Honda NX650!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I read through the shop manual this afternoon and found the idle adjustment screw on the carburetor. I took it back to its zero setting to try and smooth everything out but I think it will still need new carb jets for this altitude. The throttle is very touchy and it still surges a bit.

Brian

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
IA flip of the petcock and I switched over to the .6 gallon reserve and headed to the fuel station.

Gotta love the reserve fuel!

Brian

Ehh. A manual pet cock and a reserve is OK, but I prefer a guage that tells me when I am getting low. That way it doesn't go through that little stumble and stall ordeal when you have the throttle pinned 1/2 way up that crazy-azzed hill climb...

:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12