MDC TRAILER

TGK

Anyone familiar with MDC Trailers? Seem to be out of Australia. USA website is mdcusa.com. Appears to be dealer direct with 3 “showrooms”. I had never heard of the until a short while ago.

rehammer81

Based on my research and following of the off-road trailer market for several years, MDC is primarily manufactured out of China along with brands like Black Series, Opus, etc but branded out of Australia I guess you could say. You will notice they are damn near identical designs with minor fit and finish differences. I believe USA sold MDC trailers undergo final assembly in the United States. I have no firsthand interaction with an MDC.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ScottReb

Adventurer
There are a lot of australian trailers and tents/awnings "manufacturers" that are not upfront with their country of origin. Doesn't make them bad but just don't appreciate not having transparency. We use imported awnings and offer import tents, and are building a wedge camper with an imported wedge tent. And most of us are typing these posts on imported computers or phones. LOL

rehammer81

There are a lot of australian trailers and tents/awnings "manufacturers" that are not upfront with their country of origin. Doesn't make them bad but just don't appreciate not having transparency. We use imported awnings and offer import tents, and are building a wedge camper with an imported wedge tent. And most of us are typing these posts on imported computers or phones. LOL
Yep. I don't mention that to condem those brands. Just a matter of fact. We all use tons of stuff produced all over the world. The key is how each company works to ensure quality control when trying to manufacture using cheaper resources. I want these Chinese mfg trailer brands to be open open their production and show me how they ensure quality. Why should I not have that negative cheap quality connotation in my mind when I think of their brand. If you choose to buy one of these brands, understand and accept what you are choosing to buy. You are choosing to buy the $50k trailer instead of the $100k trailer. That typically comes with repercussions to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

So MDC USA that has several company owned direct to customers brick and mortar stores across the US has started bringing on retail dealers in the US. I am curious why they would want to hire local rv dealers so close to thier corporate retail stores. Maybe they plan to close the corporate stores? Maybe they just want to flood the market? Dealers are being vague about them being Chinese manufactured. That bugs me

CORVDealers

This website will let you look at a bill of lading, which shows they ship from Weihai China, which is the same city/province that Black Series campers are made

Runmorun

Anyone familiar with MDC Trailers? Seem to be out of Australia. USA website is mdcusa.com. Appears to be dealer direct with 3 “showrooms”. I had never heard of the until a short while ago.

Here is the link to their manufacturer. Can order direct for way less cost than buying in the US if you are willing to do the importing work.

Here is the link to their manufacturer. Can order direct for way less cost than buying in the US if you are willing to do the importing work.

Hey runmorun do you know what other brands this company makes other then MDC?

MDC USA is specing these out with some quality componets like Truma and Thetford. Do you know if these brand name parts are shipped to the factory and installed in China or if they actually do modifications and assembly in US?

I have watched a few videos where MDC USA reps actually say " made in Australia " how is that not a lie?

Last edited:

I think ROA is trying to offer rigs that are less money then Xplore and Pause. These MDC are speced much better then the OBI's are but they also cost more. According to MDC FB page they have some sway and other issues. Great warranty if that matters. I truly hope for ROA's sake these don't go the way of BS, OBI and Tribe.

Runmorun

Hey runmorun do you know what other brands this company makes other then MDC?

MDC USA is specing these out with some quality componets like Truma and Thetford. Do you know if these brand name parts are shipped to the factory and installed in China or if they actually do modifications and assembly in US?

I have watched a few videos where MDC USA reps actually say " made in Australia " how is that not a lie?

All the parts are coming through China including the truma and thetford products.

What is likely hapening is they are sent to the US without the suspension and wheels attached. Then those are attached here and they do some basic connections and its assembled. In the US if it says "made in the usa" it must contain all us made parts. Other countries may not have the same regulations on saying it is made there.

All the parts are coming through China including the truma and thetford products.

What is likely hapening is they are sent to the US without the suspension and wheels attached. Then those are attached here and they do some basic connections and its assembled. In the US if it says "made in the usa" it must contain all us made parts. Other countries may not have the same regulations on saying it is made there.

Great insights. Would you say the RONGCHENG factory is more of a mass produced Elkhart type operation compared to the njstar explorer factory? Also is the mdc the only brand they build for? Do they build for Black Series, obi, tribe or opus?

Last edited:

Runmorun

Great insights. Would you say the RONGCHENG factory is more of a mass produced Elkhart type operation compared to the njstar explorer factory? Also is the mdc the only brand they build for? Do they build for Black Series, obi, tribe or opus?

Nothing like Elkhart from what I can tell. It looks like a nice place from the videos of their factory. Same with Ecocampor, they make the opus products if I remember correctly. Both use almlst no wood except in the livong areas for trim. Best thing for anyone wanting one of those models is to get on Alibaba.com and use their buyers assurance program. It works similar to Ebay with their guarantees of the products and verification of the manufacturer certifications. The benefit in ordering direct is you can customize everything down to the colors and level of trim including upgrading everything.

Njstar is a smaller operation, they do lower volume and more customized orders. Build quality for offroading the NJStar can't be beat until you start spending 75k plus on a US model. They have a customer who drove from Shanghi to Denmark over Asia and Europe towing my model. No functionality issues for the entire trip. Majority of their customers are mainland China. In China domestic trailers are required to have a useful life of 15 years minimum to be sold and licensed on their roads.

If I remeber correctly most trailers built here are built for an 8 year usefull life, assuming 30 days of use per year on road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior