Medic83's Offroad Trailer build

medic83

Observer
So I started a new trailer build. This time from scratch! I learned so much from the last trailer. I basically retrofitted an old caltrans trailer. It was way more work than I wanted but still a great experience. I have to have this thing done for a Moab trip June 1. At least rolling, registered, and tent mounted! Along with last minute fixes on the truck. So far I have the frame done, welded. Base of the box cut and will be welded tomorrow. It should have been a roller but etrailer sent the wrong Timbren stuff! I'm open to tips as I know there are some very experienced trailer builders here. Here are some specs...

Frame.. 75" L 50.5" W.
2x3x .120 wall
2.5x2.5x1/4 wall running all the way through

Total length is 11' 6" I think....I will be adding a swing away receiver for storing. Not set on tongue length yet.

Box. 1 3/4" x .120 wall DOM box frame. (I wanted .095 HREW but I have 4 sticks of this laying around). Weight is approx 20-30lbs total....the box is welded to a 1"x 2" x .120 wall frame that bolts to the trailer frame..the one I designed is a bit tall. I'm messing with frame height as this Timbren suspension keeps things low. My rear bumper receiver is approx 30" tall. The mock up I have has the frame around 23-24". It will be here tomorrow so I will bolt it up then. I really don't like the 30" frame height to match the receiver. It will make for a small box to keep COG low and then I'm mounting a Huge Tepui Gran Sabana Ruggedized tent on top. I think I will be sticking with the 24" max 26" frame height. I'll know more tomorrow. My truck is on 37" tires and the trailer has them as well.

I have lots of plans for this trailer. I never took my last one into he rubicon but I wanted to. I was never confident with how it towed....and it was too tall. Didn't have brakes either.

My goal is to keep this thing low and towing great. My 4Runner is a 4th gen that is solid axle front and rear coilovers. Front WMS is 71" rear is 69". Trailer is 66" WMS. I have the 3500lb progressive Timbren axle less suspension, 6k hubs, with the 4" lift. I have drums with electric brakes for 17" wheels.

I figured this is some basic info to start the thread with. I'll try and figure out how to post pictures here. It's been a while since I've been on the forums.

medic83

Observer
Mocked up the suspension, packed the bearings and hubs, installed brakes and tires. I decided to weld up the suspension. It's tacked up for now. I added a piece of 2x4 under the frame to get more height. I think it's gonna be perfect when it's done. Decided to stick with the lower frame. My goal is about 26-27". I will add plating and some more reinforcement for the suspension tomorrow.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

medic83

Observer
Sorry...I don't know why the heck the pics are posting sideways. If a mod can fix them that would be great. Thx

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Great start. What Tent you going with? I'm looking for something for,the top of mine. I'm already about double what I thought my build would cost so I'm considering the new Smittybilt XL RTT. I've heard for the money it's hard to beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

medic83

Observer
I went with the Tepui Gran Sabana Ruggedized. I had the regular gran Sabana on my other trailer. I sold it with the trailer tho. I'm pumped because I loved the other one. These Ruggedized ones are awesome

medic83

Observer
Made some good progress on the trailer. Frame fully welded. Suspension fully welded. I know it can be bolt on, I didn't feel like making brackets and drilling a bunch of 5/8" holes. Got the box done, and fully welded. Tekonsha P3 electric brake controller, marker lights, tail lights will be here tomorrow. I'll get that stuff done hopefully. I'm waiting on my new max coupler. I can't tow it without it. I sold my other one with the old trailer. But once I get the lights done, I will tow it to my buddy's shop for skins. Then off to DMV for registration!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

medic83

Observer
Thx man! My max coupler will be here tomorrow. I'm dying to take it out! I'm gonna take it out on the trails behind my house and see how it dies. I ft the tekonsha brake controller mounted and wired up. Was pretty easy, luckily my 4 runner came factory with a harness plug....I ordered the Toyota plug with the controller.....plug and play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179