Medium Duty Ambulance FAQ (Freightliner, International, GMC, Chev)

RiderBloke

Observer
I would still like to hear about Duramax 6.6 motors. They seem to have good power and torque and the 4500 trucks have a lot of spare payload as I read the figures. I have looked at one here in mid Michigan with less than 100K miles and looks in good nick priced at $12k. But is the Duramax a good investment?
I want it as an RV and also to pull my RV.

Dirtfarmer515

I would still like to hear about Duramax 6.6 motors. They seem to have good power and torque and the 4500 trucks have a lot of spare payload as I read the figures. I have looked at one here in mid Michigan with less than 100K miles and looks in good nick priced at $12k. But is the Duramax a good investment?
I want it as an RV and also to pull my RV.

I've got an '08 4500 MDA with a 6.6, it's been good to me, about 140,000 miles, doesn't use oil, plenty of power. There are a lot of 6.6 out there, mine has an Allison transmission, it does great on the highway and great in the hills. Sounds silly, but it's got a stock exhaust brake on it, I use it all the time, very handy.

RiderBloke

Observer
Ok I am going to pimp one of my trucks here. Checkout my signature line for the 1999 FL60 for sale.

Yeah I know Bevan but I am not in a financial position to buy at present. My wife went to our Credit Union earlier this year and they said 'What's a Freightliner? It's not in our book.'
So we bought our leased Tundra (or rather the CU did.)
But I did look at a Duramax C4500 nearby at a very good price with low miles but I'm not game to take the financial risk at the moment. (I still like your yella fella though.)
Hope it finds a good home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just in case you were wondering. An Onan 2500/2800 W generator fits between the frame rail at the back of the module.

994560c09e4b6586e29cb06408eda4d1.jpg

1291a1a48ea8125bfaeac100cfcf2caf.jpg

dd6014fd3d55f0c2be633d8932711e51.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
12 volt power is a challenge when it comes to plugs and sockets. The standard cigarette lighter plug is a pretty flimsy connector, yet it shows up all over the place. The European cigarette lighter plug and socket are much heavier duty, but they are an interior design, and not intended for wet locations. They show up fairly often in ambulance modules, though.

I found another option, and it's one that I have decided to use for any plug-connected 12 volt equipment in my ambulance. The connector is available in 2,3 & 4 pin configurations, it's rated at 20 amps, and it's designed for weather exposure. It's a standard for plug-connected solar equipment as well.

The plug has a cable connector that can handle up to about a 7/16" OD cable as well, plus it has a rubber cable grip incorporated in its design. The receptacle has a rubber cap for the connector's sockets as well.

It's available from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JJHPZ5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
plug-socket.JPG

DSCN2046.jpg

DSCN2053.jpg

DSCN2054.jpg

cjken

Explorer
I remember some talk on here about a hydraulic front axle for MDT’s.
Anyone have any experience with that??
If it is a possible way to turn a MDT 4x4 I could be a good option for medium duty ambulance conversions.
I think it was called the trutrac or something like that.
There does not seem to be a lot of options for 4x4 medium duty ambos other than the Kodiak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78