Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
That would do it...if there was a shorter model. Can we buy from them being here in the USA? I didn't see any prices or any way to order products.

You have to download their catalog, no English version available but you can copy the writing and use google translate to read it. Looks like the ladder is $1600 plus shipping.

Translated from the catalog: Expedition vehicles are very high, so the question arises, how do I get into mine
Construction? The stairs should be immediately available, light, need little space and one
Safe tread. With our staircase, these features are combined. It is under
The assembly is pulled out and, if necessary, the lowest stage is still folded out. The so
Reached height is suitable for Unimog and Co.
Mounting width: 500mm
Built-in depth: 790mm
Height 1: 630mm
Height 2: 860mm
Weight: 13.8 kg
Unimog pull-out staircase
Stainless steel pull-out staircase Art.No. UA5-TR1 1489,00 €

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

Wyuna

Observer
This is my new favorite build thread.

It's looking good, I've waiting since Iain finished his Unimog build for someone to start a build like this.

I love seeing awesome fabrication work, Iain's build was great and this is looking like its going to be special as well.

Keep up the good work Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
You have to download their catalog, no English version available but you can copy the writing and use google translate to read it. Looks like the ladder is $1600 plus shipping.

Translated from the catalog: Expedition vehicles are very high, so the question arises, how do I get into mine
Construction? The stairs should be immediately available, light, need little space and one
Safe tread. With our staircase, these features are combined. It is under
The assembly is pulled out and, if necessary, the lowest stage is still folded out. The so
Reached height is suitable for Unimog and Co.
Mounting width: 500mm
Built-in depth: 790mm
Height 1: 630mm
Height 2: 860mm
Weight: 13.8 kg
Unimog pull-out staircase
Stainless steel pull-out staircase Art.No. UA5-TR1 1489,00 €

Hodakaguy

Thanks for the info, but at that price I'll have to look for something else. That's more than I paid at the auction for the entire ambulance.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Well this morning I looked at the options for getting the rack to clear the cyclone filter assy, modifying the corner of the rack or cutting down the snorkel. After some measuring it was clear that cutting down the snorkel wouldn't work as there would still be some interference and I'm not willing to go any higher on the rack itself so that leaves modifying the corner of the rack.

First up rolled a chunk of flat bar.

P1270212.jpg

Cutting out the corner and setting the angle to match the flat bar.

P1270213.jpg

Welded and blended.

P1270214.jpg

P1270216.jpg

Rack back on the truck to check the snorkel clearance, should work nicely. When standing at the front and looking at the rack the round filter assy makes your mind fill in the missing corner piece and the rack still looks proportional side to side.

P1270241.jpg

P1270231.jpg

Cutting the foot pads for the front mounts, they will be installed on the stronger boxed section of the cab directly behind the windshield.

P1270237.jpg

P1270245.jpg

First of the mounts tacked in place. The mounts are angled backwards to allow clearance for the lights that will go under the front edge of the rack. There will also be another support leg that will tee off the back side of the front mounts and will have their own support pad with through bolts to add extra security and weight distribution.

P1270255.jpg

P1270259.jpg

Hodakaguy

Wyuna

Observer
Well Hoda,

I just spent the last 5 hrs going through your Westy Build,

I'm starting my VW T6 Campervan build in 3 weeks, its almost here, just waiting for the ship to dock and go through compliance, and i'm moving into my industrial shed at the same time, i'm looking forwards to it.

I should point out, you do things right the first time, it was a great build and hell of a read, The Unimog is my dream vehicle, but as a Para, they are little hard to get into, lol

looking forwards to the Unimog build.

thebigblue

Adventurer
This just gets better and better, and so it seems to me that only the sky is the limit on this beauty - in my mind this will be the coolest MOG on planet earth.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Well Hoda,

I just spent the last 5 hrs going through your Westy Build,

I'm starting my VW T6 Campervan build in 3 weeks, its almost here, just waiting for the ship to dock and go through compliance, and i'm moving into my industrial shed at the same time, i'm looking forwards to it.

I should point out, you do things right the first time, it was a great build and hell of a read, The Unimog is my dream vehicle, but as a Para, they are little hard to get into, lol

looking forwards to the Unimog build.

Thanks, the VW build was a lot of fun and we enjoyed it on several trips, it's now living with it's new owner in Arizona. What's your plans for the T6? You going to start a build thread?

Hodakaguy

dwm

No much new things to say about your amazing skills guys (you and your father).

Changing the subject: I like the the propeller you have on the wall. Nice detail! (I am a pilot).

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
No much new things to say about your amazing skills guys (you and your father).

Changing the subject: I like the the propeller you have on the wall. Nice detail! (I am a pilot).

My father and I are Pilots as well. The propeller is a 1943 unit off a Fairchild 24 with the Ranger engine, I love aviation art. I have some radial engine cylinders and pistons I need to make something out of one of these days....to many projects lol.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy.

Wyuna

Observer
Thanks, the VW build was a lot of fun and we enjoyed it on several trips, it's now living with it's new owner in Arizona. What's your plans for the T6? You going to start a build thread?

Hodakaguy

The owner has got a great Van, hope they look after it.

Having that powder coater, looks like it made things a lot easier and cheaper than sending it out.

My Plans for for the T6 are to make a wheelchair "Para" friendly Campervan to travel around Australia and in 2020, i'll be looking at shipping it over to Europe for a year long trip with my wife.

There is nothing available locally that really works for me, so i though stuff it, i'll make my own, plus i'm too damm picky and i expect perfection to let anyone else build it, so i'll be building this full time from the start of March for hopefully a end of June completion.

I am Cabinetmaker by trade, then moved onto Fine Furniture Design and Architectural Drafting, so all the cabinetry should be easy enough, Wiring is simple enough, plumbing isn't a hard thing to do.

I'm starting a 10 week part time welding course on Wednesday to improve my welding, as i'm lacking in that department, i never needed to really to learn as i had a retired grandfather that was a great on the stick and was alway wanting to do something, so just gave him the metal work jobs on other builds.

Mechanically speaking its a brand new LWB mid-roof with a twin turbo diesel engine with 132kw and 400nm, that i special ordered though VW as 3200kg GVM model over the standard 3000 kg GVM here, So i won't need to muck around with the driveline too much, I'll be Lifting it with Seikel HD Suspension from Germany and will be running it on some AT tires, most likely BFG KO2.

I think i'm more excited that i'm getting a new workshop in a few weeks than building the camper, i've had all my tools in storage since I've been back (apartment living) so i'm looking forwards to getting them out and setting up a new workshop, although the full shed fit out will be after the van build and the trip I've got planned at the end of June to August.

All up, it's going to be a bit of a challenge, but it'll take me a bit more time and cursing. The hardest thing is that i've had to import a lot of stuff from Europe and the UK, as i haven't been able to find some items locally, and that slows things down a little with shipping and for items that i've forgotten to order, or went I've had the wrong item sent. i think my wife is going to happy once I've got all my van build up crap out of the spare bedroom.

I'm tempted to buy another Can Am Commander and go nuts on it again (sold my built up 2014 model when moving back to Australia) and drag that around Australia behind the T6 for exploring the Trails and rough offered tracks, i might look into it for 2018 as i've already got a set of hand controls custom made for the Can Am and that would give me time to build a trailer for it over summer.

I might do a van build up thread, i'll just have to see how much time i have.

Keep up the good work and i'll be watching this build with envy.

Cheers

dwm

My father and I are Pilots as well. The propeller is a 1943 unit off a Fairchild 24 with the Ranger engine, I love aviation art. I have some radial engine cylinders and pistons I need to make something out of one of these days....to many projects lol.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy.

you can do a table for the whole family with the radial engine as a frame with a round piece of glass on top, and the pistons could be used as whisky glasses, haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior