Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Nashorn101

Observer
I wouldn't say they need any more maint over all than any other vehicle...but they can and will cost more to fix when they do need parts. The 404 and the 1300 are pretty different, the 1300 feels a lot more modern, is a lot bigger and a ton of fun. I would recommend starting with one that is in the best possible condition, a low hr well maintained unit will be less headache and $$$ in the end.

Hodakaguy

Since you owned a 404 in the past - could I please get your opinion again?

Because, the 1300 is just ************* ************.

But, honestly I'd rather have a simpler and smaller Unimog. And the 404 troop carrier falls into that category.

The only problem is that the 404 is pretty limited to what it can carry and tow - which good carrying and towing capacity should be one of the benefits of buying a Unimog in the first place. But with the 404, in this respect, it seems like it's more like a Jeep than a truck.

What's your opinion on the pros and cons between the smaller 404, and the bigger 1300?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Sounds like a 404 might be a good fit for you, I would suggest finding one in your area that you can maybe get a ride in and even drive if possible. 404's are a lot of fun as well, parts are smaller and easier to work with and cost a lot less as well. The 404's are also a lot louder in the cab and a lot more cramped, but that is part of the fun! The 1300 pulls hills a lot better than the 404 and depending on axles and engine is slightly faster. Do you really need to haul a lot of weight? If so I'd buy a truck that will haul whatever it is your looking to haul. The 404 is a lot of truck for the money!

Hodakaguy

Nashorn101

Observer
Sounds like a 404 might be a good fit for you, I would suggest finding one in your area that you can maybe get a ride in and even drive if possible. 404's are a lot of fun as well, parts are smaller and easier to work with and cost a lot less as well. The 404's are also a lot louder in the cab and a lot more cramped, but that is part of the fun! The 1300 pulls hills a lot better than the 404 and depending on axles and engine is slightly faster. Do you really need to haul a lot of weight? If so I'd buy a truck that will haul whatever it is your looking to haul. The 404 is a lot of truck for the money!

Hodakaguy

Sounds like it yes!

From my research, the difference between price for parts seems to be huge; the 404 seems to be much more economical; am I correct?

The 404 with the M130 engine has a gross weight of 5,000kg - 2,900kg empty weight = 2,100kg (4,600lbs) carrying weight.
When you owned one, what was the most you towed with it?

I don't need to tow a lot or carry a lot, but part of why I wanted a Unimog was to use it, indeed like a pickup truck; a utility vehicle to throw my tools in the back or throw all my camping stuff in the back and just go! I really don't need a 1300 for that. But, does the 1300's benefits outweighs the 404's benefits? In your opinion?

There was a 404 with a Diesel engine made. However, I am assuming these are very rare? I haven't found out how many were made through research.

Thanks!

Coachgeo

Explorer
Sounds like it yes!

From my research, the difference between price for parts seems to be huge; the 404 seems to be much more economical; am I correct?

The 404 with the M130 engine has a gross weight of 5,000kg - 2,900kg empty weight = 2,100kg (4,600lbs) carrying weight.
When you owned one, what was the most you towed with it?

I don't need to tow a lot or carry a lot, but part of why I wanted a Unimog was to use it, indeed like a pickup truck; a utility vehicle to throw my tools in the back or throw all my camping stuff in the back and just go! I really don't need a 1300 for that. But, does the 1300's benefits outweighs the 404's benefits? In your opinion?

There was a 404 with a Diesel engine made. However, I am assuming these are very rare? I haven't found out how many were made through research.

Thanks!
So rare it is only rumored and never actualy seen. There is many who converted their 404 to diesel turbo and it makes a WORLD of difference. I once had one. There more recent conversions have used a VW Turbo diesel transplant. The oft tried and true conversion method uses the OM617A Turbo diesel along with clutch parts from a G wagon that had a 617 engine also.

Nashorn101

Observer
Roger that. I bet it makes a HUGE difference! My Jeep weighs 3,300lbs and it has 197hp. I can't imagine a 6,300lb vehicle with 110hp. But, the 404 does have a 7.56 gear ratio...

How abysmal are they to drive on the highway? That's where i'd be driving this thing the most. I don't care how long it takes to get up to 50mph (i'd stay at 50 and never go higher due to transmission lubrication issues), just, does it still have get up and go?

Thanks!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Roger that. I bet it makes a HUGE difference! My Jeep weighs 3,300lbs and it has 197hp. I can't imagine a 6,300lb vehicle with 110hp. But, the 404 does have a 7.56 gear ratio...

How abysmal are they to drive on the highway? That's where i'd be driving this thing the most. I don't care how long it takes to get up to 50mph (i'd stay at 50 and never go higher due to transmission lubrication issues), just, does it still have get up and go?

Thanks!

A 404 will roll down the highway, I drove mine from AZ to WA state....but don't be in a hurry lol. If you come to anything that even resembles a slight incline your speed will drop rapidly, I was down to 25mph going over a couple mountain passes. That being said just be at peace with rolling at MOG speed and you'll have a blast. The 404's are also VERY loud on the freeway, you'll need either ear plugs or do like I did and run aviation headsets so you can talk to your passenger :)

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Bed almost finished with paint, gates are done just have to finish up the sides of the frame with matching Quicksand. The underside of the frame will be Blitz Black.

P5051913.jpg

Starting to work on some of the smaller bits. First part to be re-assembled is the overhead console. The console will house the numerous light switches, stereo and speakers. Glad I went with color matched paint on the console, I was thinking about powder coating it black originally.

This paint is somewhat of a chameleon when it comes to taking pictures, inside under florescent light the greenish tint really shows up...natural light it looks more tan. Looks less greenish inside in person than it does in pics....weird. Loving the color!

Inside shot of the painted overhead console.

P5051918.jpg

And assembled, with both florescent lighting and indirect natural lighting.

P5051925.jpg

P5051929.jpg

P5051932.jpg

Installing the new seal on the vent hatch.

P5051934.jpg

P5051937.jpg

P5051908.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

Nashorn101

Observer
A 404 will roll down the highway, I drove mine from AZ to WA state....but don't be in a hurry lol. If you come to anything that even resembles a slight incline your speed will drop rapidly, I was down to 25mph going over a couple mountain passes. That being said just be at peace with rolling at MOG speed and you'll have a blast. The 404's are also VERY loud on the freeway, you'll need either ear plugs or do like I did and run aviation headsets so you can talk to your passenger :)

Hodakaguy

Well I can certainly make do with that! My Jeep is slow as hell and with my 33" tires I can't hear a damn thing going down the highway.

I would like a 404...but now I'm leaning towards a 1300 again. I want a Diesel engine, a tilt cab, and a more comfortable interior.

This is going to be a tough choice. Considering that the 1300 is ungainly compared to the 404, which of your Unimogs do you favor? I know it's a hard comparison. But if you had to choose one, which would it be?

And, that overhead console looks sweet!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
They are both great trucks and you will have a blast with either. If I had to choose one I'd stay with the 1300, its an absolute blast and a little more modern/comfortable. Shoot me a private message and I'd be happy to explain more differences etc.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Time to get the truck back to the house and get this project moving again!

Picking the truck up from the paint shop, I backed the truck into the booth so I could assemble a few parts before heading towards home.

P5061908.jpg

P5061909.jpg

Here I'm getting ready to install the front fenders and the plastic guides for the hood to keep it from rattling on the drive home. I'll be painting the red areas of the firewall with blitz black paint.

P5061914.jpg

Getting the fenders ready to bolt up. You can tell my son is excited to get the Mog back...he's playing games on the phone lol.

P5061917.jpg

P5061930.jpg

Stopped at a car wash on the way home to wash the undercoating and frame. The undercoating on the cab is red and will be painted Blitz Black. Feels good to be driving it again!

P5061938.jpg

And back home, really liking this color!

P5061946.jpg

P5061954.jpg

P5061943.jpg

With the truck back in the shop it's time to start the re-assembly process. Installed the blinkers back into the truck and here I'm prepping the guards for install. I installed a piece of 3M Scotchguard paint protection film between the guard mounting tab and the truck as a cushion.

3M Rock Film

P5061959.jpg

And trimming to fit on the mount tabs, this film is really good stuff.

P5061961.jpg

Drivers side blinkers and guards in place.

P5061963.jpg

P5061965.jpg

Installed a few other items...emblems, handles on hood and a few misc items. Long way to go....

P5061964.jpg

That's it for today...more tomorrow.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
My father and I put in a full day on the MOG today.

Started the day by installing the passenger side blinkers/guards then installed the windshield light brackets. I kept the original rescue sticker on the windshield from it's former life as a fire rescue truck.

P5070040.jpg

Removed the front grill in preparation to start installing the bumper.

P5070039.jpg

Bumper going together

P5070047.jpg

Headlights going in.

P5070056.jpg

Headlights installed and on to the brush bar and driving lights.

P5070062.jpg

After playing with the idea in my head all day I finally painted the Mercedes Badge to match the powder coating on the truck. I think the black just fits better with the whole scheme. 20" light bar installed, I'll do the wiring on all the lights once the truck is back together.

P5070067.jpg

Getting the side ladders prepped for install. Here I'm applying Butyl sealant tape on the back side of the ladder mounts, I also applied gasket maker to the threads to ensure a water proof connection to the truck.

P5070074.jpg

And installed on the truck, the rubber squeezes out as you tighten down the bolts and you have to keep tightening in stages until it's fully tight.

P5070076.jpg

And the excess trimmed, water tight connection at this point. Waiting for the gasket maker to harden then I'll rub off the extra around the bolt heads.

P5070077.jpg

Well that's all the progress for today...it was a long days worth of work. More to come soon.

P5070084.jpg

P5070086.jpg

Hodakaguy

Jostt

Adventurer
Very nice Job, It is amazing how do you take care about details, I have a question, how the lihgts work compare whit the std ones, as a power, I dont want to lose on that side, did you add some more extra lights for that? Thanks and congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998