Mega Mule too BIG?

mikelite80

Adventurer
Hi guys. New here and love it! Recently got a 2001 4runner which has begun a slow transformation into my expedition vehicle.

My next mid-priced mod is the roof rack. I was looking and planning on a Yakima Load Warrior with extension. But then I found the Mega Mule which seems all around better for less money.

I'm just wondering if you guys think 48'' is too wide on a 4runner. I've seen a few of the rigs up here with the larger roof racks and I'm wondering how you like them? Do they stick out too far, do you hit your head on them getting in and out of the back seat?

Thanks guys!

Mike

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
That 48" width if fine. It should equal the width of your roof. I have been using mega warriors for years and really like it. Are you planning on running aftermarket crossbars? My big suggestion is to make sure you have a minimum of 3 crossbars for a basket with an extension. It will really increase the stability of the basket and spread the load of the factory tracks attached to the roof.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
I put the regular Mule on my 98 4runner, because I thought the Mega Mule looked too big. The MM would definately give you more storage space.

Jacque

mikelite80

Adventurer
Crap tied 50/50! Doing the math the Mega Mule would stick out about 3'' or so on each side before anything was mounted on the side....hi-lift, shovel, etc. The regular Mule is the same width as the factory roof rails. What we need is a Mule with an extension!

Nullifier....I'm not sure my cross bar plan yet. I'd like to run some yakima cross bars but 3 of them is just so darn expensive. I was thinking about hitting a junk yard and maybe picking up another pair of stock bars, but not sure how a basket would do on curved bars. My local guy is out of stock on the Mule for a couple weeks so I have some time to surf ebay and craigslist hoping to find a deal.

Thanks guys!

Mike

mikelite80

Adventurer
Thanks, but trying to save the shipping. I will probably be buying some switches and other stock toyota parts from you here soon though.

Mike

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I went with the regular one, the overallwidth is perfect when you add a shovel and hilift either side. The Mega was just TOO big for my taste and with our tight forests here in the NW it wouldn't have lasted long if it were wider than my roof/body sides. Now I need the middle extension and to hard mount it through my roof to get it lower and further back on my truck.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12