Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
I don't know about light(it is steel) but yes it is attached to the vinyl bellows and clips onto the box. The vinyl is much thicker than tarp material.Noise is fine in the cab,you can have a normal conversation while driving. The walk through size is super. The door stays closed when camped. when it is cold we open the heater valve to the engine 1/2 to 1 hour before we depart and start a hot engine with instant heat. Once running thyese engines make plenty of heat as you know.

Great! I'll talk to my local upholsterer, show him my doors and your setup and get him to size the job up. Cheers again.

Sitec

Adventurer
That is why I am curious if you leave one pin out so that it becomes a 3 point and see how well the last pivot remains aligned during frame flex. If it is then it carry the load of the box without causing other unhelpfull stresses on chassis or box.

What is your time frame to get to the USA? I will put some beer in the fridge.

Johan

'That coach' would make a mammoth but awesome project! Once the truck is out and running I'll do that pin out test. Re the beer... I'd love it to be next week, but in reality it'll be 2023/2024. :)

pairospam

Observer
I have been looking for 3 years now in South America. It would appear that a crazy truck builder from Chile got the last one.

Luckily I have a bag of tools, a balaclava and I know where he lives.

Watch out Pairoa, It would look better on my truck

Neil

Christ!

Dear Neil: I swear that the next snorkel I find I will send to you wherever you are.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I too would like to see that YouTube video! I think it'd be an instant internet sensation! The 'Mission impossible' music springs to mind!

Jon, re that Snorkell, yes, if you speak the lingo please contact the fella.. What little I understand I believe it's 'Joern' who imports them. I'm after an NG/MK/SK snorkel for the RH side. Thanks! :)
Just put out a request to the original poster about the snorkel. I do not know German but Stephan who helps run the board knows English and German and helps me out. Been a good source for LN2 specific info.

Sitec

Adventurer
Just put out a request to the original poster about the snorkel. I do not know German but Stephan who helps run the board knows English and German and helps me out. Been a good source for LN2 specific info.

Thanks fella! Much appreciated.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Hi fella. So, I'm making two doors that open upwards into each compartment. Both will be openable from both sides, and lockable from both sides. Both will be keyed alike. Both would be locked when leaving the truck. Re latch types, that's still open to suggestions... I was going to look at/consider some decent household barrel and plunger locks and a pull handle on either side of each door. Push in place and lock, as they're either open or closed... Re weather proofing, I plan to have some overlapping rubber deflectors that form a crawl thru 'tunnel', and then have some rubber overlay on the outer side of the cab to deflect the worst of the weather... Also open to thoughts on this too.... :) Sketch below of what I'm planning...

View attachment 583409

Just curious, why the need for double doors? We only have one sliding door (like a "pocket" door) that slides open and shut for the habitat. It can be open or closed while camping or while we are on the road. I haven't found a need for a second door, maybe you have a good idea?

We do not have a latch system currently, but have been contemplating options for installing one to keep the sliding door locked closed while camping (insulation / safety) and latched open while traveling on the road and rough tracks. The insulation and heater in the truck is fine in the winter, we just shut the sliding door and the cab heats up nicely. Especially with the Espar coolant heater getting the engine up to temps with a push of a button.

I am looking at options to replace the seal between the cab and the habitat. Pretty much settled on rubber bellows as the solution. I have seen this used on several other trucks and it looks nice and clean but still able to handle the flex of the Mog chassis. I will have to re-design and fabricate the opening flanges for each opening to accept the rubber bellows. Ahhh - another project!!!

Sitec

Adventurer
Just curious, why the need for double doors? We only have one sliding door (like a "pocket" door) that slides open and shut for the habitat. It can be open or closed while camping or while we are on the road. I haven't found a need for a second door, maybe you have a good idea?

We do not have a latch system currently, but have been contemplating options for installing one to keep the sliding door locked closed while camping (insulation / safety) and latched open while traveling on the road and rough tracks. The insulation and heater in the truck is fine in the winter, we just shut the sliding door and the cab heats up nicely. Especially with the Espar coolant heater getting the engine up to temps with a push of a button.

I am looking at options to replace the seal between the cab and the habitat. Pretty much settled on rubber bellows as the solution. I have seen this used on several other trucks and it looks nice and clean but still able to handle the flex of the Mog chassis. I will have to re-design and fabricate the opening flanges for each opening to accept the rubber bellows. Ahhh - another project!!!

Hi Loonwheeler.

So, the idea behind two doors is that the habitation area can be sealed and locked at night and to keep the heat in, but then by having a door on the cab too it can also be closed so as to not hear the noise from the engine and drivetrain etc. The trucks I drove in Africa had an open access through and there was a lot of residual noise etc coming in from the back of the cab. In the colder days all that heat disappeared through the gaps. I'm making both doors removable so if it works out well, the cab door won't be needed and can be left off. With the cab access, it would be easy later on to remove the door seal and hinges etc and then carpet/trim the frame so the door was never there. I have our local canvas/upholstry guy coming for a look tonight to see what he can do for the crawl thru tube/bellows... :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi all.

On with the cab mods! Last night I had our local Upholsterer over to have a look at the job of the 'sock' as he called it, between the two crawl thru doors. He has some thick truck tarp that he works with. He assured me it flexes, welds and folds well, so would be weatherproof as well as Mozi proof. For the cost of making it, he said he'll make two 'socks' so we can carry a spare. I just have to make two frames to match the door frames which he can work too. At the moment I'm making the two side uprights that will tie the roof rack in with the cab and body. The left hand one will have a ladder hidden behind a 'cover sheet' that's removable. First up is to fabricate the two upright sections. Here's one welded, and one in 'Ikea' form!! ;)

Cab Mods 5.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Next up, an hour of sanding to make them look like they're all one piece, and shaping of the rounds that'll form the ladder. These rounds are offset to the back of the ladder, so the cover sheet can sit over the top of them hiding the roof access. If you are wondering why I have used galvanized pipe, it's because it's sold in thinner wall thickness than the plain steel. Here's the LH roof rack support that will become a ladder.

Cab Mods 6.jpg

Cab Mods 7.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
With the left upright 'ladder' all welded up, and the right upright welded, it was time to look at the top section. The roof rack will be self supporting on the gutters of the cab, but to get it's position exactly right, I have to work backwards and use the uprights as support and locators. Here's making the end sections of the roof 'basket' and fixing them to the uprights.

Cab Mods 8.jpg

Cab Mods 9.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
With the first pieces of the basket ends bolted securely, I could clamp the uprights in place, and then transpose the roof shape onto the rear uprights of the basket sides... Have you ever tried to keep square and weld a round item!? Not easy!! Ignore the incorrect treatment of my square.. Needs must! ;)

Cab Mods 10.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
By the time it had got dark and cold last night I had one frame end tacked up. Here it is in position. At the moment it's not quite long enough to cover/protect the top of the snorkel... but without the snorkel fitted, it looks too long... hence the idea of two snorkels so it all becomes uniform.... It is only tacked at this point...

Cab Mods 11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179