Mercedes Benz r320 turbo diesel all wheel drive

iamdanwoody

Observer
I know this may not be the most common vehicle for camping or overland but my wife picked one up for a steal with a warranty to 205k miles. I could not help but love the long haul travel potential. It came with a rack rated for 400lbs, not enough for a rtt but that could be a lot of crap. We are averaging 28mpg highway with 400lb/ft torque. Supposedly there is more room in the back than a Tahoe. Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

machine1

Explorer
The driveline is rock solid, but the oil cooler tends to leak on those (It's under the intake manifold). The rear air suspension is also known to leak down while parked and sometimes explode. The battery for the ISM shift motor will go bad causing a battery warning on your driver display. We've seen some ISM motors lock up (Shifts the transmission into gear), it requires a tow truck. Good thing you have the warranty.

Those are the only major recurring issues I've seen with the 251 chassis. It's closely related to the 164 chassis (ML320). We had a 2011 ML350 (traded it in at 51K miles) and now have a 2014 ML350. Just took a 3600-mile trip in it, very comfortable luxury vehicles.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
... It came with a rack rated for 400lbs, not enough for a rtt but that could be a lot of crap...

That is plenty for a roof top tent (RTT) as the rating is for a load while driving - not stopped. The forces involved when moving are much more severe compared to when stopped (usually ;) ) so I wouldn't be concerned about putting a RTT up there...

Last edited:

iamdanwoody

Observer
That is plenty for a roof top tent (RTT) as the rating is for a load while driving - not stopped. The forces involved when moving are much more severe compared to when stopped (usually :wink:) so I wouldn't be concerned about putting a RTT up there...

I read something similar after I posted this. That makes it an even better find.

machine1

Explorer
Don't worry, I only see all of the bad that comes in. Most of the ones with the issues are the gasoline engined R350's.

Does yours have the middle-row captain's chairs or a full bench?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
It came with a rack rated for 400lbs, not enough for a rtt but that could be a lot of crap.
Don't worry about that. The 400lbs is the moving weight, the static weight is probably way higher than that. The limit posted on all roof racks is the moving weight. On mine the moving weight is 150lbs, static 500lbs. The lightest roof racks are still rated at 120lbs moving, so pretty much any roof rack system can handle an RTT.

iamdanwoody

Observer
Don't worry, I only see all of the bad that comes in. Most of the ones with the issues are the gasoline engined R350's.

Does yours have the middle-row captain's chairs or a full bench?

It looks like a bench but they are individual captains chairs with a flip down center seat.

battery

Another thing to remember about the R class (251) chassis is that the vehicle battery is under the right front seat, and difficult to get at. You have to mostly remove the front seat (or loosen all mount bolts and lean it way back). Be sure to take the tools necessary if you go out for a long trip. There are jump start posts under the hood, but to replace the battery is some work. I second the oil cooler comment. We reseal them all the time ( labor intensive, and about $2k I think). Be sure your warranty will cover it, because if it hasn't been done, it will need it sooner or later. Also watch your power steering rack, the head on the rack sometimes leaks on ML and R class vehicles.
Great road vehicles with lots of room.

machine1

Explorer
Another thing to remember about the R class (251) chassis is that the vehicle battery is under the right front seat, and difficult to get at. You have to mostly remove the front seat (or loosen all mount bolts and lean it way back). Be sure to take the tools necessary if you go out for a long trip. There are jump start posts under the hood, but to replace the battery is some work. I second the oil cooler comment. We reseal them all the time ( labor intensive, and about $2k I think). Be sure your warranty will cover it, because if it hasn't been done, it will need it sooner or later. Also watch your power steering rack, the head on the rack sometimes leaks on ML and R class vehicles.
Great road vehicles with lots of room.

Oh how much I hate that battery location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78