Mercedes Overland Building/Tuning

RoamIt

The truck is in Ft. Myers at Terra-Exp as of last night. They still have to get an appt. with the DMV with the customs paperwork, so it will probably be another couple weeks before I can fly down to pick it up.

But it's in-country! So that is progress.

Attachments

• InCountry1.jpg
    InCountry1.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 25
  • InCountry2.jpg
    InCountry2.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 26

RoamIt

Does anyone know if there are English versions of the owners manual for these trucks? Mine is coming with the original owner's manual all the services records. But, of course, it's in German.

It would be nice to have. I would hate to have to scan/google translate every page :oops:

RoamIt

Cool, I'll check the link. I know mine comes with the manual, but I presumed it would be in German only?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Does anyone know if there are English versions of the owners manual for these trucks? Mine is coming with the original owner's manual all the services records. But, of course, it's in German.

It would be nice to have. I would hate to have to scan/google translate every page :oops:
I found an English version of the Operators Manual for my 1017 on the UK eBay. It was about £40 with shipping to the (former) colony.
I have these in PDF, some from Bill (shared with his permission) and other sources. PM me if you want them and I'll set up a Dropbox transfer

mauals.jpg

RoamIt

I bought the workshop manual on ebay, they just send you a link to download and install it. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124959989367 (This is different from the owner's manual I think, but good to have.)
Thanks, I have that. I bought the disc's & the flash drive. I was thinking it would nice to have the actual owners manual on the truck (in English) Especially since all the controls are in German and in a few weeks I'm driving it over 1000 miles :oops:

Have not found one yet, still looking.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks, I have that. I bought the disc's & the flash drive. I was thinking it would nice to have the actual owners manual on the truck (in English) Especially since all the controls are in German and in a few weeks I'm driving it over 1000 miles :oops:

Have not found one yet, still looking.
I think the manual would also have a part number. If anyone has the English version and wouldn't mind sharing it, it might help. I would also like to have one, translating is a bit cumbersome.

RoamIt

So flying down next week to pick up the beast and driving it 1200mi back to home base, first road trip :)

But ran into an issue. Called progressive insurance, as I've seen them recommended on the forum, and they told me they can't insure it as a private truck even though it's titled as one. Said it had to be insured as commercial.

Then the commercial dept. said they can't insure it as a commercial truck, then turn it into an RV insurance once converted, because they don't do temporary policies.

So.... I'm not quite sure why they can't just insure it as a commercial truck, then I cancel the policy and re-insure as an RV when it's completed? But after being on the phone with 3 different people for 30 minutes, I declined to keep debating it with them.

Any thoughts on this? Suggestions? Perhaps I should not have said 'converting to RV'? and just asked for insurance for a 'truck'? they couldn't seem to get the right info from the VIN either.

Joe917

Explorer
The German heavy truck VINs use a different system to North America. It caused us many problems as our 1993 917AF came up as a 2001 MB car. A letter on Mercedes/Daimler letterhead solved those issues. We were unable to get insurance in our home province until it was registered but could not register it without a safety that can only be done in our home province. We ended up having to float it up here.
If you can get it insured as a commercial vehicle, do it then cancel the policy when the conversion is complete. It will be cheaper than floating it 1200 mi.
Welcome to the headaches of registering a Euro truck here. It can be done, it just takes patience.

RoamIt

Yea, the agent said it was coming up as a 1998 vehicle. I did explain the importing/VIN thing to him. I sensed a puzzled look on the other end of the line :unsure:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Any thoughts on this? Suggestions? Perhaps I should not have said 'converting to RV'? and just asked for insurance for a 'truck'? they couldn't seem to get the right info from the VIN either.
You might try Hagerty insurance as a 'collector vehicle'. That is who the seller of my MB1017 had it insured with prior to me buying it.

from their website:
hagerty.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle