Merkabah: MB 2626 AK 6x6 tipper to expedition truck conversion

pairospam

Observer
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

The next step was to get a sand-blasting chamber. I went to the nearest shop and bought a 2x3 metres chinese garden gazebo, then I bought a few meters of polyethylene and sticking tape for a few bucks. I assembled the gazebo by the side of the truck and then I hung the plastic sleeves from the frame, and voilá!... the sand-blasting chamber was complete and ready to be used, with enough place to work around the axles. I hoped that it would be enough to contain the sand and the dust from spreading all over the workshop.

1431.JPG

The especial sand used for industrial sandblasting was too big for my father’s device, with a minimum request of half a ton. I ended up in the riverbed of the Aconcagua river with a shovel and spent a couple of hours sifting sand.

Dressed like the abductor of ET and sweating heavy I tested the sandblasting bloody thing. The compressor worked non-stop and the blasting was unequal but, no matter if it was a non-expert sandblasting (or worst), the most difficult corners were freed of rust, at least enough to trust that the primer and the new paint would adhere firmly.

1434.JPG
1440.JPG

In the meantime, I reasoned that resurrecting the Terrano would have consumed too much of my scarce time, so I started to look for a 4x4 to replace the venerable japanese. I told before that I love the japan-made 4x4 of the nineties, and I liked pretty much the design of the Montero, so I aimed to get one in good shape. Difficult task.

Carmen, Eduardo and his wife and I made a trip to inspect some prospects and, for a lot of unreasonable reasons, we went very far, almost 500 kilometres south to check a special one. Too expensive to make it worth, we came back with no car… but with a little hope.

At some unexpected moment, more than one month later, the guy called to finally accept my offer and sold me the Montero. Eduardo and I made a flash-crazy trip and came back driving the 4x4. The vehicle was in very good condition for its age and mileage.

1441.jpg

The weather was getting colder and colder every day. Rain was expected and it would be a problem with painting. Hmm… I decided to start cleaning and servicing the second axle and, with a little luck, I could paint both axles on the same session.

I washed the axle with gasoline to remove the grease and the dirt off the surface and the corners of the axle just to be able to approach it. I then removed the aft short shaft to change the retainers that leaked. The bearing was in good condition and the retainers had been ordered so it was a matter of cleaning and waiting.

1453.JPG
1455.JPG

The front shaft presented no major problems except when trying to get the proper socket to remove the locknut. Though I just had to ask three workshops before one guy borrowed it to me.

The retainers that had been ordered arrived a few days later than expected, as usual, and guess what… one of them was wrongly labelled and did not fit in the front shaft. I ordered the right one and I reassembled the aft shaft with the correct retainer.

I had to dedicate many afternoons to the servicing of the Montero, changing oils, filters, tie rod ends, the tappets, fixing the heater and the starter and so on, so I did not have much time left for the Merkabah.

When I could I continued with the toilette of the second axle. I began to powerbrush it like crazy. Finally the holly retainer of the front cardan shaft arrived. I dressed up, put in the retainer and with the last gram of clean sand I blasted the corners and angles still left untouched.

Of course the sand was not enough and I had to recycle it, which took a lot of time. I also had to move the trestles, but firstly I had to get there with the portable winch among all the pieces and parts and stuff. Many, many hours spent.

Then came the boring phase of powerbrushing the belly and the brackets of the axle; many hours of noisy and uncomfortable work with the electric tools but also with manual tools. I worked until very late every evening when I could.

1460.JPG

The result was pretty satisfying in the end, but…. Ah! the never wanted “but”, when I looked again at the other axle, the third axle, supposedly ready for painting, I found that in comparison with the recently cleaned axle it surely needed more attention and care, I mean, to leave them even. I know… but this disease has no cure.

1470.JPG
1472.JPG
1475.JPG

Last edited:

pairospam

Observer
So, up with the third axle and prepare for brushing it all, again. After many hours, the next Saturday morning, I finished to clean both axles right like I wanted. I still had to replace the silentblocks of the superior strut so I left it apart. I prepared the washprimer for both axles, I thought enough of it, and sprayed the third axle first. After a little it was evident that my calculations were wrong and I was short of primer, but at least I could give one hand to the second axle. Hmm…

1485.JPG

Hurried for it was late, after a couple of self-inflicted imprecations I shrugged and emptied the paint gun. I then cleaned it as fast as I could (I hate it, you know), took a couple of pictures and went home flying on the Africa Twin. I arrived at 4:30 P.M. Carmen was waiting for me, with her incredible smile, to help her to put the table and to prepare the pasta. Oh… I love her. It was a pretty good lunch.

Once both naked axles were primed there came the less inviting stage of preparing all the braking and traction elements in order to assemble and put the axles back in the frame.

When it comes to clean and prepare pieces I fortunately have tons of patience, so I picked them and started one by one with the known boring routine of the gasoline bath, the brushing and the power brushing. I started with the slack adjusters taking care of not letting gasoline come into the mechanism because they were sealed and I did not want to replace them. I do not know how many bolts and nuts followed the adjusters but seemed quiet a bit amount of them, and also there were the supports of the brake cams that were so dirty that I had to wash them twice just to be able to handle them.

1489.JPG
1492.JPG

Then I worked with the brake cams and the brake shoe brackets. After a while I could manage them more easily and with some twisting and hitting I could take out the caps and the old retainers. They were the original ones so you can imagine the quality of the grease remaining inside.

1494.JPG

The ball-and-socket joints were in pretty bad shape, stuck by rust and dirt. I let them soaking for a whole day before attacking them. I then spent many hours until the joints looked like they could maybe have looked like once, who knows when.

I continued with all the bolts and the nuts, bought lots of metallic brushes for the power drill and for the power grinder and dealt with the job, with a half hearted smile, while friends and curious passing by stopped and stared at me like saying: This guy is really nuts!

After cleaned and brushed all the parts looked pretty well, though.

1495.JPG
1503.JPG

Why to bother with all this restoration stuff? Just ask how much these pieces and the repair kits cost here in Chile and you will have a guessing, and only if they are in stock.

I went back to the designing screen from time to time, and corrected and changed some aspects of the living Box, putting folding steps, changing dimensions and placement of the cabinets and stuff like that. I also began to plan and distribute the systems of the Box, electricity, heating, hot and cold potable water, alarm, ventilation, drainage, lighting, gas, etc., for which Sketchup is pretty cool. Cool but slow, at least on my supercomputer.

1516.jpg

The cleaning of the moving elements of the rear axles was a job that was left for the last. If you remember the state of them and the amount of oil and dirt you will know why. Anyway, after many days, many hours of washing, scratching, brushing, more washing, a couple of overalls and many liters of kerosene and gasoline the bell hubs, the wheel hubs and the gears were left at least in a decent state. It was a really dirty and heavy job counting with the brake soot, the old oil, the dirt, the myriad of crannies and all the kilos per piece.

1518.JPG
1519.JPG

To finish with the rear axles affaire I went also with the brake drums. The first was the one that was soaked in oil from the spill of the second axle and it was very hard to clean, and to move. Of course, in the end Pairoa won and after the usual cleaning cocktail and two washes with grease remover the piece of steel looked pretty good. The rest of the drums were not that dirty and the job was a little easier. All of them were in good working condition.

1520.JPG

java

Expedition Leader
Amazing amount of effort your putting in! It will be new when your done. Or better!

sojourner

Observer
This is amazing, makes my 1 ton axles look like their for a matchbox. How long did it take for you to do all 3?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

theburtseoni

Observer
You are an amazing person to tackle such a big job, and do all the excellent cleaning, painting, etc!:) I really enjoy reading about your work, and other aspects of life waaaaaay down south!
There is just one thing I wonder about however- your truck is going to be so nice when you are finished that you will be reluctant to use it very hard so you won't scratch, dent or hurt it!:rolleyes:

Never the less, you are to be commended for a job well done!!

LoRoad

Adventurer
Wish I had you're kind of time....love watching though.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions between the axels? (front, center, rear) Thanks.

D

Deleted member 9101

On thing is for sure, you'll never overload it..lol.

biotect

Designer
pairospam:

Great thread, and really interesting build.

I was struck by the strong contrast between your childhood visions of a fully integrated, 6x6 motorhome, versus the vehicle on which you are now working, which is a much more conventional sort of “cab-separate-from-camper”, non-integrated design. And yet even relatively recently – around 2008 or 2009? – it seems that you also produced an elevation for an expedition motorhome that was also fully integrated. Whereas the vehicle on which you are now working is not integrated.

When did you decide to go in this direction instead, and why? After you saw Edy's Robusto? Or once you began the build?

For a fuller explanation of the question, please see the thread, “Fully Integrated MAN or TATRA 6x6 or 8x8 Expedition RV with Rigid, Torsion-Free Frame”, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page22 .

All best wishes,

Biotect

pairospam

Observer
Sorry for the delay in the updates.

@ LoRoad: the distance from the front axle to the second is 3,25 meters, and in between the tandem axles is 1,35 m.

@ biotect: what a huge amount of research, effort and words have you put on your thread! The answer is very simple: I follow my visions but I use what I have at hand.

I didn’t even start to build a fully integrated 6x6 because the buses that were the basis for the build doubled the price in quiet a few months, and the technical challenges for adapting a 6x6 drive train and suspension on a frame built for gently carrying people from one to another point of the city were too big that the idea sunk by its own weight. An already working 6x6 truck was the natural option, even if it took me 6 months to find mine.

From my poor and humble point of view, that has a little of experience on the matter, integrate driving and living cabins is, apart from being difficult from the technical and aesthetic point of view, not appropriate if the truck has been conceived as a vehicle without such an arrangement. You put a lot of stress on the frame/suspension doing that and things become damaged sooner or later.

This, obviously do not apply to the 6x6 and 8x8 Tatras with independent suspensions or to any truck with rigid-conceived main frames.

Let me say also that a cab-over-engine truck is more fun and easy to drive in all-terrain conditions than a cab-behind-engine from my point of view (but it is always fun), allows for a longer living cabin, and the added roughness and soundness can be managed with air seats and appropriate noise insulation. But, hey! concepts are quiet different and anyone has its own preference and this is precisely what these threads are all about.

1785.JPG

1781.JPG

2587.jpg

2590.JPG

Whatever your particular idea of the most appropriate vehicle for going around the corner or travel the world with will always be okay.

I will update the thread later. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Pairoa

P.D.: who knows why the URLs don't show directly as images? What did I do wrong?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior