Meta Data Overview

dhackney

Expedition Leader
The purpose of this document is to educate and inform digital photographers about the basics of digital photography meta data. It seeks to explain the primary underlying causes of common meta data challenges, issues and problems.

I welcome corrections, feedback, etc.

Digital Photography Meta Data Overview

Table of Contents

1 Introduction......................................2
2 Meta Data Defined..............................2
3 Meta Data Location.............................5
4 Viewing Meta Data..............................6
5 Meta Data Types and Purposes.............7
6 The Meta Data Challenge.....................8
7 The Five Causes of Confusion...............8
8 The Customer's Perspective.................15
9 The Software Developer’s Perspective...15
10 Recommendations..............................16
11 Summary.........................................16
12 Resources........................................17

1 Introduction

Winston Churchill’s immortal description of 1939 Russia as “A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma” is equally true of the current state of digital photography meta data.

Most casual digital photographers never come face to face with meta data. They take their photos, they upload them to a web photo sharing or social networking web site, they may even print a photo occasionally, and at no time are they even aware that digital photography meta data exists. In many respects, they are the lucky ones.

Serious amateur and professional photographers wrestle with meta data as part and parcel of their daily workflow. Meta data problems, flaws, corruptions and disasters are a regular part of photography forums and discussion groups. Challenges can be as simple as one tool displaying a photo’s caption/description while another will not. Or, they can be as catastrophic as the loss of thousands of photos’ meta data, often painstakingly entered over weeks, months or years.

Meta data, defined as “data about data,” can be a very technical, daunting subject. In practice and application in digital photography, it has often been an unmitigated disaster.

Even at its young age, digital photography has experienced multiple meta data standards. Each of these standards has been ignored, corrupted or “enhanced” by digital photography software vendors. There has been no backwards compatibility or standardized mapping established to bridge from one standard to the next. The lack of standards regarding the labeling of meta data information has led to a plethora of conflicting terms used to label the very same piece of meta data, spawning mass frustration and confusion among users.

Unfortunately, there is no immediate relief in sight for serious amateur and professional photographers. If anything, the meta data anarchy and chaos created by the software vendors promises to increase.

The only hope for those tasked with unwrapping the meta data riddle lies in better understanding digital photography meta data. Only by understanding meta data can we accurately diagnose the challenges and build workarounds.

*****​

Full document is here: http://www.hackneys.com/travel/docs/metadataoverview.pdf

Michael Slade

Untitled
I was recently talking with people at Hasselblad about their new Phocus software. Metadata was a topic that came up, and I asked about 'tagging' a camera.

In my perfect world I would be able to 'tag' specific cameras with my own personal 'meta data' so that any image that comes out of the camera has my information, copyright info, contact data, etc...

They wondered why no one had done it before. I fully expect that functionality to be incorporated into their next firmware upgrade. I suspect that Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc...will also.

For the most part tagging any of my personal images for me involves way too much time for too little feedback. That along with no industry standard has kept me away from committing to spend the time necessary to tag my entire collection.

However...when I was part of the management team at Fogstock.com, we hired a dozen or so creative writing students from the Univeristy of Portland. We asked them to tag each image in our collection with a variety of keywords. Those keywords were part of our custom search solution that was written for our database of images. I would be happy to share what we learned from that excercize.

Although I have sold my portion of ownership in the company, I am on good terms with those who are left. I can put you in touch with them if you'd like to learn what the strategy is now.

Good white paper. I look forward to wading through it.

dhackney said:
The purpose of this document is to educate and inform digital photographers about the basics of digital photography meta data. It seeks to explain the primary underlying causes of common meta data challenges, issues and problems.

I welcome corrections, feedback, etc.

Digital Photography Meta Data Overview
Table of Contents

1 Introduction......................................2
2 Meta Data Defined..............................2
3 Meta Data Location.............................5
4 Viewing Meta Data..............................6
5 Meta Data Types and Purposes.............7
6 The Meta Data Challenge.....................8
7 The Five Causes of Confusion...............8
8 The Customer's Perspective.................15
9 The Software Developer’s Perspective...15
10 Recommendations..............................16
11 Summary.........................................16
12 Resources........................................17

1 Introduction

Winston Churchill’s immortal description of 1939 Russia as “A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma” is equally true of the current state of digital photography meta data.

Most casual digital photographers never come face to face with meta data. They take their photos, they upload them to a web photo sharing or social networking web site, they may even print a photo occasionally, and at no time are they even aware that digital photography meta data exists. In many respects, they are the lucky ones.

Serious amateur and professional photographers wrestle with meta data as part and parcel of their daily workflow. Meta data problems, flaws, corruptions and disasters are a regular part of photography forums and discussion groups. Challenges can be as simple as one tool displaying a photo’s caption/description while another will not. Or, they can be as catastrophic as the loss of thousands of photos’ meta data, often painstakingly entered over weeks, months or years.

Meta data, defined as “data about data,” can be a very technical, daunting subject. In practice and application in digital photography, it has often been an unmitigated disaster.

Even at its young age, digital photography has experienced multiple meta data standards. Each of these standards has been ignored, corrupted or “enhanced” by digital photography software vendors. There has been no backwards compatibility or standardized mapping established to bridge from one standard to the next. The lack of standards regarding the labeling of meta data information has led to a plethora of conflicting terms used to label the very same piece of meta data, spawning mass frustration and confusion among users.

Unfortunately, there is no immediate relief in sight for serious amateur and professional photographers. If anything, the meta data anarchy and chaos created by the software vendors promises to increase.

The only hope for those tasked with unwrapping the meta data riddle lies in better understanding digital photography meta data. Only by understanding meta data can we accurately diagnose the challenges and build workarounds.

*****​

Full document is here: http://www.hackneys.com/travel/docs/metadataoverview.pdf

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Michael Slade said:
I was recently talking with people at Hasselblad about their new Phocus software. Metadata was a topic that came up, and I asked about 'tagging' a camera.

In my perfect world I would be able to 'tag' specific cameras with my own personal 'meta data' so that any image that comes out of the camera has my information, copyright info, contact data, etc...

They wondered why no one had done it before.

This functionality is easily accomplished with Breeze Systems Downloader Pro (DLP). http://www.breezesys.com/

You can set up specific actions for every camera serial number. Upon download DLP can load a specific XMP-IPTC template file containing copyright, location, keyword, category, etc. data.

I use that functionality to embed images with our respective copyright info as I download each camera's memory cards.

Michael Slade said:
However...when I was part of the management team at Fogstock.com, we hired a dozen or so creative writing students from the Univeristy of Portland. We asked them to tag each image in our collection with a variety of keywords. Those keywords were part of our custom search solution that was written for our database of images. I would be happy to share what we learned from that excercize.

Check out the keywords available from Controlled Vocabulary. It is a very robust resource and there are versions for all Pro and serious amateur level tagging/keywording tools. http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/

I bought a copy and found it useful for images I plan to put into stock.

For everyday use I built my own set of keywords significantly smaller than CV's.

Note that if you use Lightroom (LR) you can create and manage your own keyword list and import it. LR supports embedded tags in the input file to control keyword variables. Specifically [] for the export flag and {} for synonyms. I use XL to maintain the keyword list and it works great for that task.

Michael Slade said:
Although I have sold my portion of ownership in the company, I am on good terms with those who are left. I can put you in touch with them if you'd like to learn what the strategy is now.

I would be curious to know their strategy. My last career was in data and meta data was a constant challenge. My best known quote on the subject is "Unless someone's mortgage payment depends on accurate and populated meta data there will be none."

Michael Slade said:
Good white paper. I look forward to wading through it.

Thanks, I hope you find it of value.

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Untitled
dhackney said:
This functionality is easily accomplished with Breeze Systems Downloader Pro (DLP). http://www.breezesys.com/

You can set up specific actions for every camera serial number. Upon download DLP can load a specific XMP-IPTC template file containing copyright, location, keyword, category, etc. data.

Yes, there are several ways to embed your data when downloading. Your solution is a good one. However, I am still yearning for the ability to tag the actual camera, so that when the images are not downloaded on any particular computer, the data is actually embedded with the original EXIF data. It is still a feature that I feel many will benefit from...many photographers are not in charge of downloading their images from their cameras and rely on a third party.

Additionally many images are generated from cameras that are not owned by a particular photographer, but are owned by a company or corporation...i.e. a newspaper, motion picture company, etc... Images captured on company owned cameras that are operated on company time are not owned by the individual photographer, but are owned by the corporation.

If the images from those cameras can be tagged upon creation it can reduce a myriad of hassles later on down the production pipeline.

It will be curious to see when someone's mortgage relies on metadata. The same thing was thought about ICC profiles and color management not too many years ago.

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Michael Slade said:

They wondered why no one had done it before. I fully expect that functionality to be incorporated into their next firmware upgrade. I suspect that Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc...will also.

While certainly not full metadata, you used to be able to embed copyright info into pictures directly in camera with any Canon starting with the D30. It was set in the firmware with the Canon processing software. Sorry, I haven't shot Canon for a while so I don't remember the specifics, but you plugged in the camera with a USB cable, went to the Canon software, entered your copyright and uploaded it to the firmware. All files then had the info embedded in the raw file. Pretty cool, but I don't think anyone else does it. Hasselblad/Leica/Imacon does not for sure, neither does Phase One.

Michael Slade

Untitled
When shooting tethered to my Nikon cameras via Camera Control Pro, I can embed IPTC information thorugh the software. There is still no provision for Nikon to embed information with each file directly into the camera. I was not aware Canon's product could do that. Very nice.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Michael Slade said:
I am still yearning for the ability to tag the actual camera, so that when the images are not downloaded on any particular computer, the data is actually embedded with the original EXIF data. It is still a feature that I feel many will benefit from...If the images from those cameras can be tagged upon creation it can reduce a myriad of hassles later on down the production pipeline...

Michael,

I better understand your scenario now. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly that the ability to embed a full set of copyright, etc. data in the camera is valuable and very useful in a variety of scenarios.

As Bill pointed out the Canon semi-pro and pro bodies allow for a subset of IP security meta data to be embedded in the image at the time of creation.

All we have out here is Canon gear, so I don't have visibility into the other brands' capabilities. I made the assumption, always a bad practice, that the other brands probably had some form of that capability as well.

Michael Slade said:
It will be curious to see when someone's mortgage relies on metadata.

In my experience, it is possible in a development, i.e. writing the software, scenario, but recruitment and retention in that role is challenging. It is not viewed as a glamorous assignment, or one with much of a career path.

In an operational scenario it is very, very challenging. You literally have to make someone's position, thus salary, thus their mortgage payment, dependant on the accurate population of the meta data. In my experience, if population and maintenance of the meta data is optional, it will not be populated on a sustainable basis and will never be maintained.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998