MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
The Cummins project...that's what is taking so long. :)

Considering this is a suspension thread, I'll keep this short. The feedback I've got from people far and wide is that having the bedding stored up in the pop top (and some small amount of storage up there) when the top is down is more of a priority than super low profile. It may not be everyone's opinion but it is the overwhelming majority of comments I get when talking about pop tops.

oh I know. I was just being a ******** :D

what your describing is exactly what I love about our setup. the bedding is always in place and not stowed elsewhere. the bed can be completely setup before top has reached full extention. we have plenty of additional storage above the front seats for crap too. seems to be what others that pop into our rig comment on that they like as well. that and the ability to stand up when top is down comfortably. my wife can walk around np (5'5"). I just have to tilt my head down a bit (5'10"). from the comments here, maybe you need to start a thread about tops to start getting wants/needs/desires sorted and prioritized ;) you know. in all your spare time, hahahaaha!

wheres that beehive at? poke, poke, poke :D

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
maybe you need to start a thread about tops to start getting wants/needs/desires sorted and prioritized ;) you know. in all your spare time, hahahaaha!

Yeah really, we are all chomping at the bit. :)
I cant stop imagining, since you mentioned aluminum, the riveted together uhaul trucks....
24m4wox.png

But considering your track record I don't think it would be your style to put the top portion of a box truck stuck on our vans so....
Can we have a hint or even a clue? ;)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Considering this is a suspension thread, I'll keep this short. The feedback I've got from people far and wide is that having the bedding stored up in the pop top (and some small amount of storage up there) when the top is down is more of a priority than super low profile. It may not be everyone's opinion but it is the overwhelming majority of comments I get when talking about pop tops.

+ another for this.

HINT The MG tops will be beautiful, engineered, functional works of art.

Indeed!!

Ranchero

Wanderer

Having lived in both a Sportsmobile and VW Westy, I can tell you that the Westy has far more headroom with the top down than the SMB does. Would love to see more headroom for stealth camping.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
For those who are thinking about one of these conversions but are on the fence because you might not have the right tools... Autozone (and other auto parts stores) have good "loan-a-tool" programs that can help you get by. During the most recent conversion I was working on, my pitman arm puller gave up on life and I was forced to find a different solution. Harbor Freight tool didn't last a second against my impact wrench and then I remembered Autozone...

I went and got this...

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...y-pitman-arm-puller/209523_0_0/?checkfit=true

and in a few seconds the pitman arm was off. No cost to me, other than driving back and forth to the store.

It's easy to forget some of the resources available around a lot of cities/towns for those who don't have big shops with lots of tools.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Yeah really, we are all chomping at the bit. :)
I cant stop imagining, since you mentioned aluminum, the riveted together uhaul trucks....
24m4wox.png

But considering your track record I don't think it would be your style to put the top portion of a box truck stuck on our vans so....
Can we have a hint or even a clue? ;)

That's a damn good looking truck, I can't wait to build one into my next toyhauler!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
For those who are thinking about one of these conversions but are on the fence because you might not have the right tools... Autozone (and other auto parts stores) have good "loan-a-tool" programs that can help you get by. During the most recent conversion I was working on, my pitman arm puller gave up on life and I was forced to find a different solution. Harbor Freight tool didn't last a second against my impact wrench and then I remembered Autozone...

I went and got this...

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...y-pitman-arm-puller/209523_0_0/?checkfit=true

and in a few seconds the pitman arm was off. No cost to me, other than driving back and forth to the store.

It's easy to forget some of the resources available around a lot of cities/towns for those who don't have big shops with lots of tools.

The loan a tool programs are helpful, especially for some of the rarely used tools. The last time I borrowed a tool was a fan clutch water pump tool.

djbonsu

Adventurer
^^Agreed! I persued the same route when removing my pitman arm and most recently when changing the clutch and coil on the a/c compressor of my wife's car.

Congratulations! Glad you were able to find a new axle!

Oh the second axle I got was messed up too. When they picked the front end of the truck up to remove the axle, they caught the tie rod with the fork lift and shaped it into a rainbow. The yard monkey didn't tell the boss and they shipped it to me anyways. The boss wasn't happy. The boss got a quote of $700 from Ford to build a new tie rod and refunded me $725 of the $1500 I paid. The ends feel super solid and I am going to try to get away with replacing just the center link of the tie rod with a Moog part and pocket the rest. It will help defray some of the $250 I am out from the first bent axle in the form of shipping that pos back and the por15 I put on it. Never mind my time...

I'm gonna have one hell of a story to tell once I start my build thread. The good news is how easy MG's kit was to install. I'll post some more on that later this week. MG has been flat awesome helping me from afar on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179