MG Metalworks Van Build

njtacoma

Explorer
I'm not saying I'm impatient, but it seems like you posted about an update YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!

I'M WAITING!!!

seriously, can't wait!!!! This is the mostest epic build.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Say what! I thought I was following this thread closely. This is getting out of hand.

It got out of hand a long time ago man... Where have you been? :)

I'm not saying I'm impatient, but it seems like you posted about an update YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!

I'M WAITING!!!

I'm waiting too! I'm sitting here waiting for a phone call that my spare van body is stripped down and I can come out and cut it up. Hopefully this weekend I'll have possession. Patience my friends.

DzlToy

Explorer
Very cool build sir.

I thought GM and Dodge both used 29 spline inputs for their respecitve transfer cases? (NV261/263 and NV271/273)

Dodge manual trans used a 23 spline at one time, but all the autos that I know of were/are 29. Maybe you had a manual case or I missed something. The case on the 273 is slightly different also to allow for the actuator motor instead of a lnkage/cable type setup.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Very cool build sir.

I thought GM and Dodge both used 29 spline inputs for their respecitve transfer cases? (NV261/263 and NV271/273)

Dodge manual trans used a 23 spline at one time, but all the autos that I know of were/are 29. Maybe you had a manual case or I missed something. The case on the 273 is slightly different also to allow for the actuator motor instead of a lnkage/cable type setup.

Thanks!

Yes, GM and Dodge have the 29 spline inputs. I put the Dodge NV271/273D 29 spline input shaft in the Ford NV273F (same could be done with the NV271F too). I suppose you could use the Dodge t-case if you really wanted to but some of them have slip-yoke outputs. I started out with a NV271F but along the way I found a deal on a new-in-the-box NV273F so I changed plans. Now I don't have to fuss with custom shift linkage, just custom wiring.

"Slightly different" is a generous term given that the NV273 has more (and different) machining than the NV271 to accommodate the shift motor. They might start out as the same raw casting but in the end one is not the other that's for sure. :)

DzlToy

Explorer
Did not realise that you had a Ford 273, that makes sense now...

EDIT: if you ever find the need for them, JB Custom Fab makes really nice transfer case shift cables. (no custom wiring required ;-)

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I wasn't able to get my mock-up van body this week... schedules just didn't align and I was playing general contractor finishing up a big home project for the kids...
DSC_0811 (1024x685).jpg

BUT.... work on the van continues in this heat. I cut out the rear cross-members and started fooling around with the monster fuel tank positioning. Looks like I'll still have a little room in the back for some storage though that is not a high priority at the moment. The 4" exhaust has plenty of room to get up over the axle and out to the side of the van. Now I'll spend the rest of the day drawing up some custom cross-members in Solidworks. This is forcing me to get some of my rear bumper design done too since I plan on tying in some bumper supports into the rear cross member.

DSC_0812 (1024x647).jpg
DSC_0813 (1024x685).jpg

The tank hangs down less than my spare tire does now. Obviously with an EB, overhang is an issue on gnarly trails so I'll be attaching a skid plate to the rather beefy tank straps and make some skids along the bottom of the frame, likely integrated into the hitch/bumper. We'll see what makes sense when I get to that point.
DSC_0814 (1024x685).jpg

Speaking of exhaust... I rounded up a bunch of parts to make my own 4" stainless system. I'm stoked that I found some pre-formed hanger rods. I'm also in love with the V-band clamps. Nice and tidy and everything can come apart easily if needed.

exhaust (1024x573).jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I wasn't able to get my mock-up van body this week... schedules just didn't align and I was playing general contractor finishing up a big home project for the kids...
View attachment 295565

What the heck? Where's that been hiding? Totally out of view. Looks awesome MG! Tell us more about the "flooring" material.

Regarding van, rear bumper yes please! :chef:
Is that the 55gal tank?
Mmm, v-bands, that's the ticket. You going to do Wiggins clamps on your boost hoses? :cool:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
What the heck? Where's that been hiding? Totally out of view. Looks awesome MG! Tell us more about the "flooring" material.

Regarding van, rear bumper yes please! :chef:
Is that the 55gal tank?
Mmm, v-bands, that's the ticket. You going to do Wiggins clamps on your boost hoses? :cool:

Haha! Hiding in plain sight apparently! You didn't see the slab the last time you were out here? The surface is snap-together plastic tiles. It feels forgiving vs. the concrete and the grip is good. Same stuff that you see in some garages. Goes by many brand names. Very easy to put down and trim to fit.

Yes, that is the 55 gallon tank. It's a beast. I hope I never have to take it out of the van once it's in there. :)

I'm not sure I need the Wiggins clamps on this project. They are nice though. I'll stick to the silicone boost hoses and t-bolt clamps.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Haha! Hiding in plain sight apparently! You didn't see the slab the last time you were out here? The surface is snap-together plastic tiles. It feels forgiving vs. the concrete and the grip is good. Same stuff that you see in some garages. Goes by many brand names. Very easy to put down and trim to fit.

Yes, that is the 55 gallon tank. It's a beast. I hope I never have to take it out of the van once it's in there. :)

I'm not sure I need the Wiggins clamps on this project. They are nice though. I'll stick to the silicone boost hoses and t-bolt clamps.

Stealthy...nice! :snorkel: I was in van mode so much, wasn't keeping my peeps peeled for sport court construction it seems. Way cool MG. You're such a great dad(not only because of this project, because I see it in your family's smiles). Kids are going to love it, great place to ride their bikes too.

Thanks for doing the recon on the 55gal for when I want the same stuffed in mine, although you have an EB and I an RB . ;)

What's an uber Ford Cummins swap without some Wiggins? (kidding, t-bolts will hold fine I'm sure)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Love the court MG! Can't wait to see it in person. My schedule is finally clearing out, so let me know when you have some mid-week time off, and I'll make the trip down.

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
[QUOTE= I'm not at all happy with the quality of this purchased cast bellhousing adapter part...

I'm wondering what you didn't like about the casting. Was it too rough, weak, or was it that you just prefer the billet look. Seems like a lot of work to go through unless there was a major flaw in the casting or the design. Never the less, your commitment to top quality fabrication is amazing, can't wait to see where this goes.............A/T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater