MG Metalworks Van Build

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
DUDE!!! I'd be all over that offer if it weren't for the fact that the Optima Batteries SEMA van will be at my shop later this week. I have 45 days to do A LOT of stuff on that van before it heads south for several events and then the SEMA show in Vegas. I don't think I'll even have time to sleep until early October.

Get on it!!!!!!

SHAFT

Observer
that's suuuuuper rad. might be worth the drive to you just to see the latest UJOR creation and what you've got in store. good on ya for getting that!!!!

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Can you share a list of the work you'll be doing to the SEMA van?

Well...
-I'm almost done with the '08+ Super Duty truck power fold/telescope/heated side mirrors (and if you're wondering...no, not any easier the second time around. Still very tedious and time consuming)
-Front seats will be replaced with '15 Sienna recliner style seats (Chestnut color) and a set of my conversion mounts (with swivel on passenger side)
-Custom floor. I'll post pics as it comes together. No specifics to share yet.
-Side door galley/cabinet
-Custom bench seat/bed
-Driver side interior cabinet/storage/countertop
-Audio components and various other electronics installation

The van is intended to be more of a mobile workspace than a camper but with two beds, it should be able to pull double duty pretty well. Lots of work ahead. Unfortunately I had to clear the Cummins project out of the shop for this so no updates on that until later this year.

screwball48

Explorer
I have at least 2 hours of sleep a night that I would gladly donate to you so you could have a 26 hr day. If you figure out a way to make it happen let me know and they are yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I have at least 2 hours of sleep a night that I would gladly donate to you so you could have a 26 hr day. If you figure out a way to make it happen let me know and they are yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would happily take those two hours off your hands. Thank you!

Barike

I just wanted to drop a line to say THANK YOU for the technical details that you put in. They may be a bit over my head, but I understood fairly decently I think. To me, you strike a good balance between simple explanations and enough details to keep the interest.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
It may seem like I'm bouncing around a little here but there is a method to the madness. So many things have to be done on the van while it is conveniently torn apart for the Cummins swap that whenever I have a spare moment, I try to get smaller projects lined up as best I can. Here are some examples....

The F-series head light switch fits in the van dash with the added bonus of a pull-on switch for a set of fog lights. Same connector as the van, just a few additional wires to add in for factory look headlight/fog light switch. (stock van switch on the left, F-series switch installed).

View attachment 285305

I found another switch that looks just like the factory headlight switch but with the additional pull-on fog light feature. Factory switch on the left, new switch on the right.

DSC_0863 (800x503).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater