MG Metalworks Van Build

tgreening

Expedition Leader
^^ that motor is quite de-rated from the factory. A chip and a blower will turn it into a beast. A mate of mine had one in a Superduty and it hauled ***....

Not sure I get the logic there. A 7.3 idi is quite de-rated from the factory but a turbo kit and a couple grand in other stuff will turn it into a beast.

Doesn't change the fact that from the factory it's a slug. A 5.4 against the 6.8 is a slug as well. It works fine in an F150 or something, but in a Superduty against another Superduty with a 6.8, it's no contest. I had that combo, at the same time. An F150 with the 5.4 and an F250 with the 6.8. Start loading them up and it was no comparison.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I picked up a 1994 E350 RB with the 460. It was getting 13 loaded with 8 people on the freeway, 65mph max. Funny how that old 385 series engine pulls very similar mileage.

Back to the awesomeness that is MM, isn't there a 5BT? I swear I saw one for sale once locally. 5 cylinder. Seems like a perfect engine.

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I picked up a 1994 E350 RB with the 460. It was getting 13 loaded with 8 people on the freeway, 65mph max. Funny how that old 385 series engine pulls very similar mileage.

Back to the awesomeness that is MM, isn't there a 5BT? I swear I saw one for sale once locally. 5 cylinder. Seems like a perfect engine.

I don't think Cummins makes a 5 cylinder on-road engine. They do have a fantastic new 5.0L V8 that would fit perfectly in a van though... That's the engine that I'd think would be very popular if their crate engine program takes off.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Had both. Similar issues/ maintenance costs. In anything resembling a work or heavy duty vehicle, the V10 hands down.

^^ that motor is quite de-rated from the factory. A chip and a blower will turn it into a beast. A mate of mine had one in a Superduty and it hauled ***....

Not sure I get the logic there. A 7.3 idi is quite de-rated from the factory but a turbo kit and a couple grand in other stuff will turn it into a beast.

Doesn't change the fact that from the factory it's a slug. A 5.4 against the 6.8 is a slug as well. It works fine in an F150 or something, but in a Superduty against another Superduty with a 6.8, it's no contest. I had that combo, at the same time. An F150 with the 5.4 and an F250 with the 6.8. Start loading them up and it was no comparison.

First, no 7.3 IDI in a SuperDuty (where 5.4 and 6.8 and 7.3 PSD were available). I don't think that's what you were saying just making it clear for those following along.

Second, did your F150 and F250 have the same body-styles, transmissions, R&P ratios, tire sizes, etc? If not this is hardly apples v. apples.

Third, yes, a 6.8 will outperform a 5.4. If that surprises you, get a clue. The reasons they were purchased instead of other powerplants include the fact they were the standard engine (not an extra cost option), were more common in dealer inventory (no special ordering required), had higher EPA mpg estimates, had lower maintenance costs (8 vs 10 spark plugs, coils, etc).

Finally, ****** does this have to do with MG's van build? GTFO with all this blabbing. If this was PBB I'd have double birds *here*

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Finally, ****** does this have to do with MG's van build? GTFO with all this blabbing. If this was PBB I'd have double birds *here*

Thanks for handling the dirty work. :)

I'm as guilty as anyone for going off-topic here. I'll do my part to stay focused from now on.

Like this! Stainless hard lines for the Allison trans cooler!

I am not 100% in love with the routing but this will at least get me running. I can always change them out later.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for getting us back on track MG, sorry for the derailment. I was googly-eyed by the dismal 5.4L MPG's.
Lines look great!

packmule

Observer
MG, it would be amazing to know the estimated total hours invested in the Cummins swap by the time it's done. There are so many aspects to the build, including research, many flavors of engineering, custom wiring and electronics, system integration, powertrain fitment, and on and on. The complexity of it all is incredible.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
MG, it would be amazing to know the estimated total hours invested in the Cummins swap by the time it's done. There are so many aspects to the build, including research, many flavors of engineering, custom wiring and electronics, system integration, powertrain fitment, and on and on. The complexity of it all is incredible.

I think Ujoint's estimate is a little high but it certainly feels like that amount. It's been a quite a project from both a scale and complexity perspective. I essentially have to reconfigure the entire van to get everything to work. I've been hoarding 2009+ E-series modules when I find deals on Ebay just so I have some extras to play around with configurations. The time really goes into not only figuring out how to make things work but more so into making things work simply. I'm doing everything I can to simplify systems and wiring so everything is easy to maintain and easy to troubleshoot. Wiring a Dodge system on top of a Ford system is just a headache waiting to happen. Instead, I'm breaking things down into their fundamental operations and stripping away unnecessary circuitry and/or CAN modules. That ******t takes a lot of focused time...

I'm getting closer to "go time" though (the point at which I pull my perfectly fine, 18,000 mile 2013 van apart to put in a new drivetrain). It's happenin' soon.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think Ujoint's estimate is a little high but it certainly feels like that amount. It's been a quite a project from both a scale and complexity perspective. I essentially have to reconfigure the entire van to get everything to work. I've been hoarding 2009+ E-series modules when I find deals on Ebay just so I have some extras to play around with configurations. The time really goes into not only figuring out how to make things work but more so into making things work simply. I'm doing everything I can to simplify systems and wiring so everything is easy to maintain and easy to troubleshoot. Wiring a Dodge system on top of a Ford system is just a headache waiting to happen. Instead, I'm breaking things down into their fundamental operations and stripping away unnecessary circuitry and/or CAN modules. That ******t takes a lot of focused time...
I'm getting closer to "go time" though (the point at which I pull my perfectly fine, 18,000 mile 2013 van apart to put in a new drivetrain). It's happenin' soon.

5cc3a6d818a2e3865e5f75fc722947e7.jpg

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I've become a bit of a van parts hoarder as of late. Last night was no exception.

I picked up a set of no-windows rear doors for great deal; thank you Craigslist!

rear doors.jpg

I kinda like this style of door. My rear windows never stay clean enough to see through anyways so maybe I'll make the switch. I don't have any immediate plans to use these but I can envision some cool interior cabinets on the doors. I mostly picked them up because they're not too common (especially in good shape) and they were a fraction of the cost I was quoted at the wrecking yard.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Weren't you talking about doing something with the small sidelight windows in the rear as well?

Yep! I have a few ideas for those. pretty useless as windows but they'd make for cool access doors to a sealed compartment. I think it would be a cool place to have the outdoor shower plumbing. would also be a good place to have outside access to a fire extinguisher or some recovery gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78