MG Metalworks Van Build

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I did not do lizard skin on the doghouse. I filled in all the gaps in the factory sound deadening mat then put a layer of dynaliner over that, then replaced the foil faced insulation.

Great, thank you. I also have a question regarding your rear fuel tank cross members. Is it possible to slide them any further forward without the tank hitting the rear end under compression, or the front cross member binding in the upward bend for the rear axle? The reason I'm asking is that I'm curious if your tank will still allow for a rear mounted winch? Is a rear winch one of the considerations of your bumper design?

Top notch work as usual.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Great, thank you. I also have a question regarding your rear fuel tank cross members. Is it possible to slide them any further forward without the tank hitting the rear end under compression, or the front cross member binding in the upward bend for the rear axle? The reason I'm asking is that I'm curious if your tank will still allow for a rear mounted winch? Is a rear winch one of the considerations of your bumper design?

Top notch work as usual.

Thanks!!

The custom cross members I made were sort of designed around the lift pump I needed to mount back by the tank. The tank could come about 4-5" farther forward without the lift pump in the mix but that would be a different set of custom cross members more than likely. There's a body mount in the way that would make cross member installation pretty crummy (with the body on or off). May have to do a two piece design to get it in there. The frame is a funky shape there too. As it is now, there's about 7" between the cross member and the face of the bumper mount. Depending on the design of the bumper, you could fit a winch back there. I was planning on a winch back there though I haven't put much effort into the design yet.

I got the fuel lines and brake lines in early this morning so I started running the frame wiring harness. I made a quick trip to the Pick n Pull to get some connector bodies and then came home to build a jumper harness that connects the lift pump and fuel tank level sender into the factory harness. Now my lift pump is powered by the van's original fuel pump circuit vs running a separate harness with relay.

Starting to look more complete every day...

Last edited:

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Superb!

MG, your work is really brilliant! Before you mount the body, I was wondering if even a slight body lift would be beneficial? For example, I can think of at least 3 reasons (besides tire clearance), that a 1" body lift on a 7.3 diesel van would be a big plus. I know you're using the Cummins/Allison, but it is so nice to have every inch you can get in the van engine bay! The biggest reason for me is easier maintenance and repairs, like removing valve covers or injectors. It has been successfully done by simply adding1" x 3" dia. billet pucks with 3/8" holes. Only 2 of the factory bolts have to be lengthened. All of the rest have that much extra thread on them.
I personally would rather look at your great front end engineering and epic drivetrain than the finished van. It's almost wrong to cover up this kind of work with body panels! Cheers!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I can see the benefit to the extra room on a 7.3 or 6.0 or V10 van but the crowded part of the engine compartment with this Cummins is up front (and all that can be removed). The sides and back have really good access. There is a sensor on the Allison that might interfere with one of the floor braces but I think I have a way to run without it so it won't be an issue. I'd only consider a body lift if it was absolutely necessary. I wouldn't hesitate to lift the body off again if repairs were serious enough. I'm not putting in a 6.0 though so that probably won't be needed. ;)

Jasper Jones

Observer
Are those battery boxes MG specials or did you order them? Source? Thanks.

Looks like the factory Ford units to me. I found mine on eBay, I think they are from ambulances and dual-battery optioned vans. It is an Econoline item, though.

MG, amazing work as always. I always look forward to your updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78