MG Metalworks Van Build

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Way to push through, MG! Looks great. I've been curious to see you working out all these tedious details. There's a-lot to think about in a small hood opening...transmission dipstick tube, a/c, access to fill reservoirs, etc. Not easy but that Cummins layout looks pretty sweet in there! It'll be great to see your intake shoot straight into the battery free fender area! Are you putting + & - terminals somewhere under the hood for jump starting (someone else of course)? Most shade tree mechanics have no idea what it takes to pull something like this off!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Way to push through, MG! Looks great. I've been curious to see you working out all these tedious details. There's a-lot to think about in a small hood opening...transmission dipstick tube, a/c, access to fill reservoirs, etc. Not easy but that Cummins layout looks pretty sweet in there! It'll be great to see your intake shoot straight into the battery free fender area! Are you putting + & - terminals somewhere under the hood for jump starting (someone else of course)? Most shade tree mechanics have no idea what it takes to pull something like this off!

Thanks! Obviously you've been around a big project before. There's still a ton to do but everything will work out one way or another. I'm planning on jump terminals down by the batteries but I might run a pair of wires up to the front bumper too.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Hey MG, since Agile took care of my Ambo and you're into classics maybe I should drop by with my '65 Econoline :)

Keep it coming, love your work!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Can we put an EcoBoost in the '65?! :Mechanic:
ecoboost-3-5l-v6.jpg

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Thanks! Obviously you've been around a big project before. There's still a ton to do but everything will work out one way or another. I'm planning on jump terminals down by the batteries but I might run a pair of wires up to the front bumper too.
Nice! Good thinking on bumper location! Maybe just use snowplow or big winch weather tight quick connects for both the winch or jumpers to avoid wiring redundancy. With the extra wire saved, you could do front and rear!
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ontent=38849&gclid=CKD3i6iChc8CFQONaQodCNMIMw

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...FIdzdT8a0Q==&gclid=CMPdl5KDhc8CFQ6maQodCWQGXw

limatangobravo

Observer
The body is down! Not for good, just to show me where the problems are. Couple of things to address but nothing major. Nothing will stop this train now that I'm this far! Especially not some silly A/C lines in the way of the intake!

and it is about that time to start putting on the important stuff...

That has got to be a moral booster with the body down. The stance is pretty slick, nice MG.

DzlToy

Explorer
Hell, the 2.7L EcoBoost from the F-150 makes 325HP and 375 foot pounds of torque. You really should not need much more than that in a RB van. If you do, there is a huge aftermarket already supporting that engine. The 3.5L makes 365 HP and 420 TQ with bolt on mods returning 400 HP and 500 TQ. So, unless you are towing 20,000 pounds, there is no need for a big V8 in a van or 1/2 ton pickup anymore.

Small city trucks like Sprinter vans and Isuzu NPR's could easily get away with a stock 2.7L, as they don't have anywhere near 325 HP now.

Who will be the first to put an Ecoboost into a van? Sure would make service easier....

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Sorry if this has been asked before but do you have a ballpark idea how many hours you have into this build thus far?
Just curious

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Sorry if this has been asked before but do you have a ballpark idea how many hours you have into this build thus far?
Just curious

I don't really know at this point. It is hard to distinguish between the time I've spent actually working on my van and the time I've spent developing ideas for van stuff. So much of the time I spend on my van is proving out an idea I have for something or some service to sell. If I were to do another of these conversions, I have a good idea what it would take labor-wise. Total cost all depends on what you pay for the parts though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78