Micro 4/3 kit

ThomD

Explorer
My evolution in cameras has been a trend toward smaller and smaller cameras. The big ones (Canon 1 series, than a 40D) just were too much hassle to transport. I've never loved using a camera more than a 1D2 with a 70-200/2.8 lens, but that was a beast of a setup.

I'm fully in the m4/3 camp now, with some pocket-able cameras to augment my setup.

The whole kit weighs under 8 lbs in the backpack. Obviously the Pelican 1450 case adds a bit of weight. I no longer have to pick and choose which lens to bring. I can hike all day with the backpack setup with the camera on a wrist strap.

So, here it is left to right, top to bottom.

tripod
blower bulb
Metz Flash
100-300 lens (200-600 equiv)
Filters
14-140 lens (28-280 equiv)
.75 Wide angle adapter for the LX5 (gives an 18mm equiv)
LX5
Memory cards
TS2 waterproof camera
Panasonic G2

camera-gear-01-M.jpg

Everything fits easier in the backpack than it does in the Pelican.

camera-gear-02-M.jpg

The G3 is not yet available, so I don't know if I'll upgrade to that. I don't shoot video, so the GH series does nothing for me.

ywen

Explorer
When you're hiking with the backpack, where do you store your day-hike things? Food, water etc.. ? If you take the Pelican you wouldn't be carrying it much on your body so the extra bulk of the Canon system would not be felt right?

That's my dilemma still with the m4/3 setup. For large lenses other than the kit zoom and the pancakes, the kit still require a fairly large bag to transport. I know I'm being unreasonable, expecting a camera with good quality and compact enough to be not noticed.

For my upcoming overseas trip, I'll be taking a GH1 + 14-42 Olympus ED zoom, and a 20mm f/1.7. Everything fits into a tiny bag that can go into my day pack. Even at this size, is still a bit big to fit into my Mountainsmith Tour fanny pack.. I might pickup a padded lens bag to put the GH1 + 20mm into for when I don't need the zoom.

unled1lms.jpg
(GF1 pictured)

Sure I'll miss out on the longer reach zoom. I'll have to make that determination after this trip.

Last edited:

ThomD

Explorer
The wife carries some of the stuff (e.g. first aid kit) :) The bag is a Tamrac 5371 - it is tiny. I do need to add a water bottle carrier. For hiking I don't usually bring the TS2. Wife caries the LX5. With the G2 and a lens on the wrist, there is a good amount of room in the bag and its small outer pockets in the flap. The side mesh things are useless.

I may move to a mid sized camelback like a Blowfish for hiking. I picked the Tamrac primarily as the travel bag.

ywen

Explorer
I guess our approaches for the m4/3 system are different.

It looks like you are using the system as DSLR replacement. I'm using it more as a P&S replacement. In the context of the P&S replacement, the large zoom lenses are problematic, as it totally eliminates the compact advantage of the m43 bodies.

ThomD

Explorer
I guess our approaches for the m4/3 system are different.

It looks like you are using the system as DSLR replacement. I'm using it more as a P&S replacement. In the context of the P&S replacement, the large zoom lenses are problematic, as it totally eliminates the compact advantage of the m43 bodies.

Yup.

I'm sure you know that you face the classic link of sensor size to zoom lens size. I'm selling my Pany FZ-50 because while I love the zoom, the sensor just doesn't cut it.

Good luck in the search. Let us know if you find the "perfect" camera.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I have gone totally m4/3 as well ... Oly EP-2, Panasonic 7-14mm, Pan 20 1.7 and Leica 45mm 2.8.

Reminiscent of my beloved days with Leica M and Contax G2's. Used it for about 90% of my work the last six months or so I was at the newspaper. Carried an EOS with 70-200 in case I needed something longer.

Love the kit and have few complaints. I chose the Oly over the Panasonic because of the electronic viewfinder, which is excellent, and the ergonomics for me.

For my personal style of shooting, 90mm is usually long enough, so this kit is small and first class ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior