Micro adventures of the NW rockies

Psycmeistr

It was a great adventure, Darrin! One I'll certainly remember for the rest of my life-

Here's a picture I took at Kintla~

WP_20140706_20_53_52_Pro.jpg

MT6bt

Rock hound
That was an awesome adventure we had. Glad u got a pic of that evening on kintla. It was incredible

MT6bt

Rock hound
Very cool! Trona is actually where they used to film (still do?) StarTrek types of movies. Last time I stayed there about 6mos ago I saw lots of reflecting eyes in those pinnacles/hills at night, it was kinda cool. My best guess is they're foxes and such.

Doesn't look it due to the long exposure but this was taken at around 9pm:
IMG_2739cSmall_zps706f3acd.jpg

Page 67 of my build thread has that trip if you're looking for ideas where to go around there.
It's quite eery out here!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well the trip into death valley was awesome! I had a great time and felt incredibly blessed to partake in a well thought out adventure thanks to powerwagner and Jynxx on every aspect of the trip.
Anyways, onto the trip...my apologies for the limited dialogue, as I am currently preparing for another 5 day expedition that will include the algodones dunes, chocolate mountains, and ending up with the historic Mojave road. I am very excited for this trek as i've heard there's a lot of history and is proclaimed to be a "must" for any adventurer.
Day one
We begin at trona road, heading up and over the slate range...here's a nice view from the top. the pass was easy, although very time consuming.
854.jpg
856.jpg
855.jpg
857.jpg
858.jpg
Some pictures of the beginnings of mengel pass. It wasn't too technical with help from jynxx's spotting skills.
860.jpg
861.jpg
862.jpg
863.jpg
As you can see, the entrance to the sketchiest part of mengel pass has a pretty interesting off camber pitch. Doesn't look like much to the naked eye, but then try that with a top heavy rig such as my own and the pucker factor is increased! hah! Unfortunately I do not have any pics of me going through this part as I was just concentrating on not breaking anything...
Eventually I made it through, suffering a small dent in my right rear quarter panel from my muffler pushing up against it. Not too bad, I can live with that!
868.jpg
Several miles after mengel with dusk fast approaching, we decided it'd be best time to find a good camp spot for the evening. Our first option was a modest miner's cabin that has been well maintained over the decades by passers by. I found it intriguing that people are kind enough to leave provisions for those who may have run into unfortunate circumstances, such as water, canned food, motor oil, toilet paper, etc...

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
View attachment 262766
View attachment 262767
Skis...in death valley?
With hopes of the nearby russel camp having nicer accomodations, jynxx went out for a recon mission and found it to be much nicer.
View attachment 262768
View attachment 262769
Watch where you place your unmentionables, the consequences would be...memorable, to say the least!
After a frigid evening, warmed up by several layers of clothing, carne asada tacos, some ridiculously spicy sausages and a little moonshine, it was time to hit the hay.
View attachment 262770
View attachment 262771
A few wild asses.
The next day, we swung by warm springs, an old mining area turned resort town...(?) I believe this area was also once an oasis, until a massive flood destroyed much of the crops. However, a short hike up the draw above the ghost town reveals an orchard full of fruits including the still present fig trees and grape vines. And also the aptly named spring itself, with waters hovering around a pleasant 80 degrees...
ebc190e11ca9a42a324778e939fb9963.jpg

7e570a15daefcd40464d0b419f032a49.jpg

The ever photogenic Elwood striking a pose on the steep rock face just above the spring.
4d69d91fd9da6244680e378822df8a77.jpg

9b029fc593cc61e932a9a1344e2be5f4.jpg

Adjacent to the abandoned resort town/springs is the old Pfizer talc mining area.

For more pictures from this trip, check out this thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/135631-Death-Valley-12-26-thru-12-28/page5 by powerwagner. He's got some more pictures of these fascinating areas...

Last edited:

PowerWagner

Explorer
Great pics. Yeah, kinda mummed I didn't take more pics on Mengal myself. Some of the attachments you posted are not valid for some reason...

MT6bt

Rock hound
Great pics. Yeah, kinda mummed I didn't take more pics on Mengal myself. Some of the attachments you posted are not valid for some reason...
Fixed, thanks for the heads up. looks like it'll be a bit chilly for the next trip. can't wait! leaving this evening around 6pm to algodones dunes then onto the Mojave road.

FrankB

I've enjoyed reading this. The descriptions of the places you've been, the pictures, and the pups, have been great. Looking forward to seeing more.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I've enjoyed reading this. The descriptions of the places you've been, the pictures, and the pups, have been great. Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks frank, I appreciate the feedback. I've been really busy lately finally finding some fulltime work down in Newport beach and have dedicated the next month to training everyday at a world class Brazilian jujitsu academy. It is great getting back Into the sport but the amount of time involved with preparing for classes, work, and playtime for my dogs, I've got my hands full! I'll have some time soon enough to update this thread with my most recent trip on the mojave trail.

Ah, crossovers: car like off-road capabilities, minivan looks, and truck fuel economy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179