Microwave for truck camper

Dave in AZ

There is a new type of microwave that is better for off grid, an "inverter microwave ", as instead of cycling full power, say 1500W, on and off at different rates to adjust power levels, it actually changes the wattage up and down. So uses a lower wattage. And also less power.

Here is a youtube video on it, which has a link in description for the Panasonic inverter microwave.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
So I've been thinking about putting a microwave in my truck camper but am having a hard time giving up the space for it. I've looked at all the box stores and they all have cheap microwaves and some are pretty small but I imagine they won't last.

One that I just looked at at Target was about $50, was only 700w, weighed only 26# and was 17"x12"x10". Most are much bigger and heavier. I'm sure you get what you pay for but I don't want a 40# space hog. Reviews on these 'cheap' microwaves aren't all that favorable (for what it's worth). Is it worth it for a bigger one with 1000w?

So for those who've added microwaves to your rigs, where did you put it, did you mount it or does it float around, and what type did you get? I should be able to power it from the inverter in my truck if I'm not hooked to shore power. What do you do with the turntable when you travel?

We have a 2 month old and a 3 year old so this would be really handy for those quick heat up tasks or the evening bag of popcorn.

Here's the deal, you need to figure out what you're cooking and how often if you're off grid.

IMO, absolutely go with 1000 watt unit, or more! A 1000 watt unit may have 5 or 6 power settings, and if you want to fix frozen foods the defrost and then high setting will actually use less power in a shorter period of time than, say a 700 watt with fewer cooking levels.

Just because it can do 1000 watts doesn't mean you have to blast Jiffy Pop on high.

I'd suggest you have a large inverter, 2000 watts or more and more batteries unless you want to push start your vehicle after launch. I use a 2200+1200 Buletti and a 1000 watt GE microwave.

Consider a generator, 2kw or larger. Microwaves will require a "surge" power, like an AC, they kick on and off a bit as they operate, so you'll need more juice than the unit's high capacity.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
That's a great video, thanks for sharing Dave.

The cheapest inverter microwave I see (on Amazon) is a 900 watt Emerson at about $110. I am willing to pay that for the technology but I've got to answer a question asked by the OP many years ago. It's hard to kill a $30 Walmart 700 watt microwave. I have two of them that won't die. I've had one of them for many years of daily use in my rough riding work truck. If/when one dies I'll definitely go this route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12