Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

K9LTW

Hmm... I learned something today! Apparently the reasoning for lower octane at high altitude came from a 1942 study, while a 1987 study (still far from recent!) concluded that the octane need for modern (1987) engines dropped by only ~0.2 points per 1,000 ft, so at 5,000 ft 85 octane is about like 86 octane at sea level.

Oddly, the great majority of internet sites show no references, but are parroting the conclusions of a 1942 study!... ie, "low octane at altitude is fine"

This doesn't mean that 85 octane will hurt your engine, but efficiency and power will be reduced due to timing retard. Turbo engines are more greatly effected as well.

I've pretty much always used 85 octane in my truck, and never heard a hint of knock, so if it's correcting it's very quick. I also get better MPG at altitude, but that's surely due to lower air resistance.

Interesting...and, sadly, not all that surprising. Though having combed through countless scientific studies related to both performance nutrition (I mean...fuel for the body, so related...ish), and strength/hypertrophy a lot of advice that still stands today is based on old studies that don't hold water currently. Good find.

It's infuriating that the cost of gas has increased disproportionately and fluctuates unevenly as well. Diesel should be cheapest...it's been more than premium until fairly recently around here. It used to be 10 cents difference between regular, mid, and premium each. Suddenly that exploded with premium being 50 cents to a dollar more a gallon not too many (relatively speaking) years ago and will never go back. And, no...this isn't a political post, so don't let it devolve into one. Now manufacturers are increasing recommended octanes more often than not from what I've seen. Though with what seems like higher compression/lower displacement engines and more and more forced induction, it's not a surprise.

Dougnuts

I the Tremor is already at the dealership because the transmission or engine is making a high pitch high frequency whine noise at low speed.

Don't be surprised with a conclusion that the noise is normal. The newer trucks make transmission noise at parking lot speeds.

Also, if you're on Facebook, there are a couple +21 F150 groups you could join.

Last edited:

Dougnuts

Now manufacturers are increasing recommended octanes more often than not from what I've seen. Though with what seems like higher compression/lower displacement engines and more and more forced induction, it's not a surprise.

The car manufacturers have previously asked the Government to raise the octane ratings sold in the US (similar to Europe, where the common minimum is about equal to our 91) so they could design engines that achieved better fuel economy. The Government said "no".

phsycle

Adventurer
Of course, with all that said, the Tremor is already at the dealership because the transmission or engine is making a high pitch high frequency whine noise at low speed.
I am punshing myself in the face for buying used. Whoever is gonna buy my Bronco is the luckiest person ever. Impeccable engine break in, premium gas only, 5 tire rotation and oil change every 5K miles, touchless car wash only, screen protector from day 1, hell I even refused the « free gas tank » from the dealer when I picked it to make sure they didn’t put bad fuel. Never ate in the car. Makes me cringe when I see people have their skis sit on the side of their vehicle at the ski resort parking lot. I would never do that and risk a scratch.
Yes I treated the Bronco like I would keep it a lifetime, yes I am crazy.

Appart from that it’s incredible how quiet and spacious and comfortable the F150 is. It feels like way too much space right now, but hopefully when baby comes it feels the right choice.

Is yours an Ecoboost? Both my F150’s had a high pitch noise from the turbos. Only detectable with the radio off.

rruff

Explorer
Diesel should be cheapest...it's been more than premium until fairly recently around here. It used to be 10 cents difference between regular, mid, and premium each. Suddenly that exploded with premium being 50 cents to a dollar more a gallon not too many (relatively speaking) years ago and will never go back.
The car manufacturers have previously asked the Government to raise the octane ratings sold in the US (similar to Europe, where the common minimum is about equal to our 91) so they could design engines that achieved better fuel economy. The Government said "no".
It probably isn't a conspiracy, but rather an artifact of refining domestic crude. It may be difficult for them to adjust how much gas and how much diesel they can get out of a barrel. So they basically produce what they can, and let the demand in the market set the price.

products_from_barrel_crude_oil.png

Diesel is less refined and "should" be cheaper... but it is also more efficient as a fuel and prized for big trucks and farming especially, and since these applications are willing to pay more for diesel vs gas, the price is high.

Regarding octane it may be that demand for premium which is readily available, is already pretty low. There is nothing stopping manufacturers from requiring premium except that consumers will end up paying more for gas... and won't like it. The efficiency improvement would be small compared to the price increase. Based on my local prices, even 87 octane is ~10% higher than 85.

Dougnuts

Regarding octane it may be that demand for premium which is readily available, is already pretty low. There is nothing stopping manufacturers from requiring premium except that consumers will end up paying more for gas... and won't like it. The efficiency improvement would be small compared to the price increase. Based on my local prices, even 87 octane is ~10% higher than 85.

The government is pushing gasoline CAFE and emissions requirements to the point that the internal combustion engine is reaching a wall. A point of compression increase is worth about 4% more efficiency. Given the standards that automakers are being held to, that is a huge opportunity.

Assuming that resetting the octane spread higher (85-93 vs. 90-98) would require more expensive refining, the only thing that politicians care about more than their theology is getting re-elected. It seems the government could care less about consumer cost increases when they are hidden, but this change would be an increase directly tied to them, so now we likely know why the automakers didn't get their request. A number of people in government don't want more efficient engines, they want no engines. Interesting side note; even the new Camry (hybrid only) has the power rating based on using premium grade fuel (although not required).

Back on subject, here's a good comparison of a Tremor vs. a new Tacoma. As much as Toyota stretched the body work out on the Tacoma, there's a noticeable size difference when viewed in person. The cabs, specifically, look very different in size. I think OP did the right thing by purchasing a full size.

53690406852_20c82632d2_b.jpg

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
News flask: Oil companies could care less what drivers want or dislike and auto makers could care even less. Politicians just laugh. Gotta understand, everyone acts in their own best interest, until people go vote.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
@Todd n Natalie

I have enjoyed all of the above which could be the reason a few synapse send signals to the right index finger instead of the left, thinking a four letter word is necessary for this site that begins with the letter F instead of the letter N. Such mistakes are common from those having decades of experience using those fine products you displayed.

Dougnuts

@Todd n Natalie

I have enjoyed all of the above which could be the reason a few synapse send signals to the right index finger instead of the left, thinking a four letter word is necessary for this site that begins with the letter F instead of the letter N. Such mistakes are common from those having decades of experience using those fine products you displayed.
But have you been to where each one is made? There's at least one perk to living in central Kentucky. 😎

Missing from that image is my favorite....Knob Creek single barrel.

Bonus points to @Todd n Natalie for making the image a link. :LOL:

85_Ranger4x4

Back on subject, here's a good comparison of a Tremor vs. a new Tacoma. As much as Toyota stretched the body work out on the Tacoma, there's a noticeable size difference when viewed in person. The cabs, specifically, look very different in size. I think OP did the right thing by purchasing a full size.

53690406852_20c82632d2_b.jpg

As it should be, midsize trucks have ballooned enough as it is. A Taco shouldn't be the same size as a F-150, that is what the Tundra is for.

Perspective also does not favor the Taco for what that is worth too.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
But have you been to where each one is made? There's at least one perk to living in central Kentucky. 😎

Missing from that image is my favorite....Knob Creek single barrel.

Bonus points to @Todd n Natalie for making the image a link. :LOL:
Huh. How the hell did I make the image a link? It wasn't even intentional.

And agree, Knob Creek is my go to for Bourbon. I also recently tried Bothers Bond Bourbon and though it was good. It's a little milder than Knob Creek.

bb_bottle3.png

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
As it should be, midsize trucks have ballooned enough as it is. A Taco shouldn't be the same size as a F-150, that is what the Tundra is for.

Perspective also does not favor the Taco for what that is worth too.
It would be interesting to see that Tacoma parked next to say a 1998 chev K1500 Ext cab, 2001 Ford f150 SuperCrew or Gen 1 Tundra.

I bet the size difference wouldn't be that huge.

I recall looking up the dimension of a 2024 Ranger Crew Cab vs a 2001 SuperCrew F150 and they weren't that far off.

2001 f150 SuperCrew dimensions:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 090145.png

2024 Ranger Crew cab dimensions:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 090335.png

2024 Tacoma Crew cab 6' box dimensions:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 090718.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78