Midland MXT100 GMRS Mini Review

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Stay tuned! I hear the MXT series is going to deliver a lot more power this year.

The MXT-115 seems like it would be a decent choice, still small but 15 watts, repeater capable and weather.
The MXT-400 though seems a bit high priced ($249.99) considering you can get a TYT TH-9000 (Identical radio) for $125 on Amazon and could program the GMRS channels into it. Not type certified I realize.....

I am glad they are expanding the selection and still think trail/convoy comms should migrate to GMRS. Unfortunately many offroaders are stuck in their ways and can't seem to separate themselves from the CB.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I am also glad to see GMRS getting more legs. I do prefer Ham Radio and have been licensed as a ham for a long time. I think GMRS is a good all around service. There are some areas with repeaters and some REACT units monitor for emergencies on some channels. The kicker is when in the middle of no where (a great place to be) and you need help having at least one ham with a proper HF in the truck will go a long way to getting help before GMRS usually does. Also I have noted that shared FRS/GRMS frequencies get really crowded on nice days, holidays, and other just popular days for activity on some trails. While that helps with coordinating between different convoys, it can also be a headache when trying to contact someone in your own group or hearing your spotter as you overcome an obstacle. Another reason for something other than GMRS in the truck.

I will be adding a basic FRS/GRMS to the truck eventually since that is popular with one of the groups I ride with. The other uses more CB so gotta have that. In the end, will still fall back on the ham radios since that is a factor in why I get out of dodge :)

Ripper

Adventurer
This is great! GMRS is absolutely the way to go for vehicle to vehicle while on the trail. An absolute must upgrade. The sooner it catches on widespread the better.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I wonder why the MXT-400 doesn't have the weather channels...I use that feature a lot on my other radios.

7echo

Adventurer
^^^^^

My question as well. The top of the line is missing a feature that seems like it would be very popular? Maybe there is a way to get them added?

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I wonder if the MXT-400 would be computer programmed? It looks just like a the Baofengtech UV-5001 and the TYT TH9000.. if so you could program the weather channel.

Reason weather wasn't included maybe price vs feature. GMRS frequencies are UHF and Weather is VHF. It maybe that in adding VHF receive capability would have over priced, an already high priced radio, for the market it is designed for.

Kinger

Observer
So I'm going to go ahead and ask the stupid question: would these Midland units allow for communication with, say, the Motorola Talk About walkies?

Kind of a noob to GMRS. We use the handhelds a lot for work so between trail and work use these units have had my attention.

Zeep

Adventurer
Very interested in this as well. Now they have 3 models available. MXT100 is replaced by the MXT105.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Reason weather wasn't included maybe price vs feature. GMRS frequencies are UHF and Weather is VHF. It maybe that in adding VHF receive capability would have over priced, an already high priced radio, for the market it is designed for.
I dunno, some CB radios have NOAA WX so it can't be that costly to shove a wider band receiver in there.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
So I'm going to go ahead and ask the stupid question: would these Midland units allow for communication with, say, the Motorola Talk About walkies?

Kind of a noob to GMRS. We use the handhelds a lot for work so between trail and work use these units have had my attention.

They operate on the same GMRS frequency/channels so as long as you are on the same channel and Privacy tone they will work.

dstock

Explorer
The Motorolas work a little differently then the Midland radios where the privacy tones are concerned, CTCSS 1-38 are the same on both radios so as long as you stay on those you should be good.

Interesting video for more info:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan