Might be moving back to NorCal after all

At1Maverick

Hey guys, I'm new here, and was from the Easy bay area. I've only been here in Vegas less than 2 year and it seem like I will be moving back to my adoptive home. Having picked up a 96 Mont SR, I will have to tow my '03 Mustang with it. and that kinda concerns me since I haven't really "tested out" the mont. That said, I am an experienced auto tech, and can pretty much fix most anything, however, don't really have any recent experience with these vehicles. What are some of the known trouble spots of these vehicles?

I am about to tackle the timing belt, water pump and seals for peace of mind. pretty much all the fluids have been replaced and belts are new as well. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Replace your crank bolt with the current upgraded bolt from Mitsu.

If you're getting blue smoke at start up or after idling for 5-10 minutes then you may need to replace the valve guide seals (can be done without removing the heads).

Flush the transmission versus just draining and refilling it.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Towing the Mustang will be outside your Montero's GCW rating. While others folks do to loads in excess, because the Montero will do that, public safety concerns overrule in this instance.

At1Maverick

Cool, I have read about the towing thing, and yes, I guess I would have to do back to back trips if I do end up moving back, which kinda suck but I do get to "enjoy" the open road.

And as far as the smoke, yes, I do get that, but it only it the first few times I started the mont. I was concerned at first cuz I thought it was the rings, but the leak down test looked pretty decent except for a couple of cylinders.

And Offroader, I can't seem to find a TSB about the crankbolt, is that a common failure?, for what I can see though, it seems like mine has been replaced recently. I thought someone had rounded the original one or something.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Cool, I have read about the towing thing, and yes, I guess I would have to do back to back trips if I do end up moving back, which kinda suck but I do get to "enjoy" the open road.

And as far as the smoke, yes, I do get that, but it only it the first few times I started the mont. I was concerned at first cuz I thought it was the rings, but the leak down test looked pretty decent except for a couple of cylinders.

And Offroader, I can't seem to find a TSB about the crankbolt, is that a common failure?, for what I can see though, it seems like mine has been replaced recently. I thought someone had rounded the original one or something.
The smoke is a common problem.
The crank bolt is under $20 from a dealer and is fully accessible when doing the timing belt. I suggest going ahead and buying the replacement bolt and replacing the one in there on principle cause if it breaks you could end up doing a full rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman