Might check out a used Phoenix

contento

Observer
Possibly looking at a 09 Phoenix pop-up for a long bed in the next couple days.

Anything in particular I should look out for?

They seem to be pretty well made from my research. The build process on their website looks pretty thorough and well thought out.

One thing that does concern me, and keep in mind this is just from pictures, is the lift mechanism looks WAY too "lightweight" for a pop up roof. The upside down U-shaped bars that fold up look to be very small in diameter and it appears to have a tiny fitting(like something from a bimini top on a boat) held into the frame with only 2 screws or bolts. But I also haven't found any evidence of their roof supports failing, so it may be stronger than it appears.

Love to hear from actual owners, good or bad.

Thanks!

1stDeuce

Explorer
I don't think the phoenix roof is very heavy. The camper I looked at recently that had the same lift mechanism, and the lift rods that you push on were bowed in the middle. I think if you put the roof up the way they recommend, one side at a time, that wouldn't happen... They (big) guy that owned the camper I was looking at just put his shoulder against the roof and pushed up and out on the middle of both bars at the same time. I could see how that might bend it. Once it was up, it seemed just as stable as the crank up roof on my Hallmark.

If you do it like Phoenix does in their video, one side at a time, I wouldn't worry about it. I think Outfitter is using a very similar system on the new Caribou Lite too. If it works, it works. :)
C

docdave

Aspiring overlander
The Phoenix camper roof is pretty light, and not really intended to carry a heavy load. Rob seems pretty strong in his opinion that weight up high is bad....a minimum of ovh cabinets, limited roof top storage. The Phoenix roof is not made to carry an air conditioner either. I think the lift mechanism should be ok to lift a roof, just not a lot of other stuff.

DanoT

Observer
I find the lift mechanism plenty strong on my Phoenix. You can safely drive up to 60 mph with the top up.

contento

Observer
Well thanks for the varying opinions, I'm looking at it tomorrow.

I've seen guys like Pest use internal bed-mounted tie-downs(similar/same as what FWC uses I assume), but this guy had his tied down with the "traditional" style fast guns and frame mounted tork-lift.

I don't have frame mounted tie downs and would prefer not to have them, so hopefully the camper has access panels so I can use the bed mount style.

yokuts1

I've owned a Phoenix since 2007. Never had a problem with the strength of the lift bars ( No Bending) and the roof is very strong. I wanted air conditioning so I had Rob put it in the rear. See Pics. I currently have this for sale..

DSC00008.jpgDSC09557.JPGDSC09616.JPG

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I likely have the same lift mechanism in my 1988 "other brand" camper. It does just fine. I think I prefer it to the track&gear systems--they always seem to strip teeth.

MINO

Adventurer
I'd say beef up the hardware on those fittings to be safe.
One of mine failed just the other day. Ripped right out of the wall as I was lifting it "one side at a time". Had one side mostly up, then as I went to do the other, it failed and collapsed.

I ended up drilling straight through the wall with longer bolts, washers and cap nuts. I'm going to add an aluminum plate for extra support.

Mind you, I've got a custom Phoenix with a large north/south bed. Practically a king bed cabover. More weight and leverage on mine.

IMG_3193.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears