Mildew/Mold removal from Camp Chairs....

yotes65

Observer
On one of my recent camping trips it rained a bit,,, When I got home I opened up my tent to air out however I forgot to remove the items from my trailer... like my camp chairs, my Browning Table & another fabric folding table. I cannot remove the fabric from any of these items. Any recommendations on what I can do to remove the mildew? What should I use to clean the fabric?

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
If I were in Arizona, I'd put them out in the sun to kill the mold. Then for cleaning I think I'd try something like Fantastic, or dehumidifier cleaner, that had benzokium (spelling?) chloride or another QAC disinfectant. They've worked well for me for cleaning mold/mildew. Chlorine bleach would probably work too, but might damage the fabric. Steam cleaning might work, too.

Travelling Man

Aiming To Get Lost
Steam clean the fabric. Because you don't want to damage the fabric

Sent from the road (or the sofa) using Tapatalk

jdillard

Observer
Sunshine alone might do the trick. If not, then put some alcohol - rubbing or ethanol, doesn't matter - into a spray bottle and soak the fabric, then leave it in the sun. might take 2 or three rounds, but it works. Test it first, obviously, to make sure it doesn't make the color bleed. This method sounds harsh, but it was actually recommended to me as a way to de-mildew delicate fabrics. I used it on a really nice handmade wool sport coat with a silk lining that had gotten soaked, and it worked like a charm - no damage at all to the fabric, wool nor silk, or the shape of the jacket and not a trace of mildew odor remained.

Last edited:

Advmoto18

Observer
Toss them in a swimming pool for an hour. Chlorine will kill and clean anything on them. Would not let them sit in the pool too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78