Military medical boxes

Triumphdog

Adventurer
I picked these up from a Army surplus shop. The sound of my gear being hauled inside these things on the trail was aweful. So I prepped the insides and sprayed them with a truck bed liner. Then added tie down hoops to the top. It makes them easier to pull the lid off, and also gives me something to strap onto. When I have them secured on my roof rack the are impossible to get into. Which is great for security!! They are also water/dust/theft proof. There is a rubber seal around the lid to prevent dust, or water from getting in. I'm making a latch so I can lock them to the roof rack. And all for under $80!

Attachments

• box1.JPG
    box1.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 51
  • boxes3.JPG
    boxes3.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 44
  • boxes.JPG
    boxes.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 41
  • boxes2.JPG
    boxes2.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 42

4lowdean

Observer
If you store the same items in the boxes, I would suggest getting the packing bags of expandable foam and throwing a couple of them in as a bottom/side layer or protection. Since the foam in contained in the bag it's a "no mess" option and you can conform the bags to the contour of the items and to the sides of the box. Once the foam sets up it should help quiet things down a little. They would also be removable in the event you reorganize the box(es) and swap out and/or upgrade gear.

Another option would be to apply Dynomat or similar acoustic insulation. If the bed-liner alone isn't enough.

Just a thought.

ktrout01

I have three of the larger size and they fit my Forester roof basket perfectly. I bought them NOS and they were pristine ! I painted them Krylon white to reflect heat and strap them down so they don't go anywhere. They are somewhat of a pain to open and close so like you, I don't worry about the random sneak thief. I do run a cable lock through all of them and padlock them to the basket if we're someplace with the car out of view. Could not beat them for the price and ruggedness.

D

Deleted member 9101

You coudl always use automotive carpet on the inside...lol.

roberto

Adventurer
I have three of these boxes and love them, they are stout but you are right they need some kind of sound deadner

R

4RunAmok

Explorer
Get them Rhino-lined, I did that to my action packers, and can't hear anything rattling around inside them.

jronwood

Adventurer
I must have 75 of these here of various sizes and configurations, started buying them 15 years ago for a "Outward Bound" style ed program (I was equipment manager), I bought a bunch for myself for my outdoor gear (keeps mice out of my $$$$$ gear when stored) I recently bought 40 or so more from GL, I use them for home business, luggage (dental kit size), LOVE them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jronwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998