military or custom

frumpy

Explorer
well it took just over 3 hours to drive down, just over an hour to get the trailer and look at his M38 and over 4 hours on the way back due to down pouring rain and driving through deer/moose country.

Overall I'm happy but there were 2 things I was kind of disapointed. First was I asked if it was set up for 12 volt and he said yes but I have to explain it to you. Well what he meant was I could borrow his magnetic lights for the drive back and he has the cable to convert it to 12 volt (apparently its about $150). Second was he said the tires were new(er). One has a bad spot that I didn't notice on it while picking it up and I guess I should have looked better. Also, the hitch wont clear with the spare tire but I am going to try to lower it a bit because it sits high right now and then try to trim the plate part that rubs.

and now for a ton of questions
What bolt pattern are the hubs are? I have a set of muds on TJ rims (5 on 4.5) but I'm assuming they won't fit.
Has anyone put a 2" receiver tube on the back for accesories? Any advice on doing this?
Where can I find a tarp cover to fit it?

Attachments

• trailer 1.jpg
    trailer 1.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 9
  • trailer 3.jpg
    trailer 3.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 6
  • trailer 2.jpg
    trailer 2.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

rezdiver

Adventurer
well it took just over 3 hours to drive down, just over an hour to get the trailer and look at his M38 and over 4 hours on the way back due to down pouring rain and driving through deer/moose country.

Overall I'm happy but there were 2 things I was kind of disapointed. First was I asked if it was set up for 12 volt and he said yes but I have to explain it to you. Well what he meant was I could borrow his magnetic lights for the drive back and he has the cable to convert it to 12 volt (apparently its about $150). Second was he said the tires were new(er). One has a bad spot that I didn't notice on it while picking it up and I guess I should have looked better. Also, the hitch wont clear with the spare tire but I am going to try to lower it a bit because it sits high right now and then try to trim the plate part that rubs.

and now for a ton of questions
What bolt pattern are the hubs are? I have a set of muds on TJ rims (5 on 4.5) but I'm assuming they won't fit.
Has anyone put a 2" receiver tube on the back for accesories? Any advice on doing this?
Where can I find a tarp cover to fit it?

you dont want those tires on anyways, they are 20 years old and hard as a rock even if they were new old stock. they are not safe to drive on, i have a dozen of them sitting in the back yard that i threw away.

the trailer bolt pattern is 5x112mm VW Audi Mercedes

search the section there are a couple of trailers with a receiver tube on the back, you have to reinforce the back and under the trailer a bit or run the receiver through a couple of cross members for strength.

pick up the trailer with your hands by the lunette, all the way up until it sits on its ***, and back down again, you can get a feel for the balance, if you add anything on the back its going to drastically affect the tongue weight balance.

this trailer responds very quickly make sure your weight is distributed forward all the time so you have tongue weight or you will have a trailer that is out of control before you can respond, not noticable below 60km/hr butususally around 60-80km/hr it will start to swing side to side if it is not ballanced.

Last edited:

frumpy

Explorer
5x112 is 5x4.4 I think, damn off my .1"

I guess I will start my search for new tires/rims. Since I'm at work anyone know the diameter of the tire on there or if there is an easy way to convert it to 5 on 4.5

rezdiver

Adventurer
5x112 is 5x4.4 I think, damn off my .1"

I guess I will start my search for new tires/rims. Since I'm at work anyone know the diameter of the tire on there or if there is an easy way to convert it to 5 on 4.5

tire is 6.50R16 radial d load.

that is just a hair under 29 inches diameter and 16 inch rim. you can put up to 31 inches under it with no issues

frumpy

Explorer
I was pretty sure they were 16's the tires in my shed are 225/75/15. Not much on kijiji for 5x112 with mud tires, looking for just 16" tires now that will fit the rims, but its going to have to be pretty narrow to fit the 5.5" rims.

rezdiver

Adventurer
I was pretty sure they were 16's the tires in my shed are 225/75/15. Not much on kijiji for 5x112 with mud tires, looking for just 16" tires now that will fit the rims, but its going to have to be pretty narrow to fit the 5.5" rims.

225/75/16 (29")should fit, they are the same diameter as the original tire but a bit wider. next good choice is 215/85/16 (30") which will fit if you want to stick with standard sizes. I can go and measure my trailer today for you. i have had 7.50R16 on mine and they are 31 inch tall

just get the tires, the rims on this thing are bullet proof, heavy but strong, and you can pick up a spare rim to match for a spare out where you are for a dime a dozen

Last edited:

frumpy

Explorer
the tires I have are 15". I'm not having much luck finding anything aside ricer rims for that bolt pattern. I like the look of the military rims so I will just keep my eyes peeled for some used tires in that size ranger.

Where abouts can I get rims here (I'm new to the area)

rezdiver

Adventurer
if you want to use your 15 inch tires.
look for VW Eurovan steel 15 inch rims, they are strong as they are made for a heavy van and will hold up to weight load and can be found fairly cheap.
look for a VW eurovan from between 1993 and 1998 they should have steeies on them, the newer ones are mostly alloy. old mercedes cars used to have nice steel rims also in 15 inch. make sure you check out the rim offset before you buy them to make sure they fit.
there are a few guys in ontario who deal with the Iltis Parts (the truck that towed the trailer you bought). the Iltis has the exact same rims as yours.

I do not have my list with me but i will try and dig them out tonight.

frumpy

Explorer
Alright, last couple questions before I go home from work and start having some fun (if I can get out of painting the house we just bought).

Is there any reason a plywood lid wouldn't work as a temporary fix for at least this season? I was thinking of getting a sheet and cutting it to fit the top with angle iron around the outside of it to keep it in place and then something to hold it down so it doesn't fly off on the highway. Just want to keep the rain out while its sitting and keep my stuff dry if I decide to take the trailer out and do a test run.

Also, I did some searching but didn't find too much. I want to add a rear receiver to the trailer for my winch. I would prefer having it strong enough to use the winch to recover the trailer and vehicle if possible, if not it would just be for storing the winch so its not taking up room or acting as a projectile in the vehicle.

rezdiver

Adventurer
some pics from the net.
this is how we used to build the covers for the trailer in the military. plywood works just fine. tha fancier you get the less you want to scratch it up.

my opinion on the winch on the trailer is dont store it there. store it inside the trailer. safer and less chance of damaging it and you are not adding 120 pounds to the back. you already have those huge handles in the back which are designed for recovery and a tiedown point.

Attachments

• iltis trailer cover.jpg
    iltis trailer cover.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 36
  • trailer receiver2.jpg
    trailer receiver2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12