Mini off road EV trailer

benjeep

Hello everyone. This is my first time on this forum. I must use a translation site to put my text in English so I hope my text is ok.

My project: I am converting a Willys 1946 Electric. To go off road I need a small trailer to carries extra batteries. This trailer should also be capable of supporting a tent and storage space.

dessinwillys1.jpg

I have an old VTT trailer that sleeps in my yard. I'll start with that.

Trailer1.jpg

The trailer should look like this. 52'' wide X 42'' length. Up front battery compartment and a rear storage section.

remorque1.jpg

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Love the concept, and I look forward to following your process and progress.

One question, though. Batteries tend to weigh a lot, right? So aren't you going to end up with a very heavy trailer pulled by a realtively light vehicle? That's typically a bad combination, right?

benjeep

Love the concept, and I look forward to following your process and progress.

One question, though. Batteries tend to weigh a lot, right? So aren't you going to end up with a very heavy trailer pulled by a realtively light vehicle? That's typically a bad combination, right?

The first feature of my project is the unknown. I start with an idea and I see where it will take me. The Willys has to carry is batteries. The trailer is there for more autonomy. Ideally it should not be too heavy. But! ...

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
If it were me, I would divide the trailer load differently.

I would put all the batteries on the entire floor evenly, rather than all at the front, to balance the tounge weight. This should give you room for more batteries too!
Then add a floor over the batteries for a storage compartment.

This may give you some extended range, but if you add a generator to the trailer for charging the batteries I think you could greatly extend your range.
I have seen guys add a trailer with a complete FWD drive train in it to use as a pusher trailer for highway use. Then switch to electric for in town putzing.

But I have to ask. With your cold weather up there, won't the EV powered vehicle be limited by your short summer "season"?

I saw an EV Willys last year at a green convention here in Texas. It was cool, but only had a 50 mile range between charges. And it had no highway speed capability. I would like to own one for use out here at the Ranch, but town is too far for me for it to be practical. Here's the picture!
DSC01239.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If you are not determined to stay pure EV then I would second the suggestion of a genset for use as an APU. We went down exactly this path when I was part of CSU, Chico's HEV program. The car carried it's 26 batteries (for a max of 120 mile range), and then we designed and started to build a trailer for the APU. The goal of the APU was to increase the vehicle's range. I graduated before the trailer was finished, so I've no idea of the trailer's status.

With batteries in the trailer you'll need to match the existing pack voltage, so you'll have just as many batteries in the trailer as you have in the Jeep. They can be a different size, but the only way to connect the two is if the pack voltages match.
One concern is if the two packs are at a different state of charge when the connection is made. The possibility of a very, very large current is quite high.

Were it me, I would look into a small Hatz (spelling?) diesel engine coupled to a suitable alternator. Then bio-diesel fuel for the APU would be a ready option. Put all of that on the trailer and only have the one battery pack.

benjeep

My sheet of metal just arrived. I bended in one big piece so it make me less pieces to weld.

remorque2.jpg

benjeep

Initially, I wanted to take my old trailer as a base for my project but it is in a too bad condition.

Trailer4.jpg

Time to start the welding of the new frame.

remorque3.jpg

Last edited:

benjeep

I had to put my trailer project aside time to work on my other Jeep. Now that is done I can continue.

First step make sure that the box fit on the frame. Everything is ok.

The trailer box will be 20" longer and I put larger tire, + or - 31X10.5X15.

Trailer5.jpg

Trailer6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger