Minimalist approach - OEM battery + solar?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Out of curiosity can you provide the link to that battery you just purchased I would like to see the specs on it. Thank you

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thank you all for the advice so far. I'm refraining from going the whole hog just yet. One reason is that this is a group trip and there will always be someone to help out if I run the battery down. I cannot justify the cost of a group 31 AND solar for this trip alone, so I want to do as little as possible that will get me by, while still keeping it "future proof". Just trying to think aloud as to which option is better bang for the buck from that viewpoint.

Get the panel, it will still have utility later. Buy a deep-cycle aux battery later. And get some LED lighting and greatly reduce your camp lighting draw.

C-Fish

Adventurer
I'm running a Sears (Odyssey) group 31M as my main house battery. I added a 100w Grape Solar panel a few years ago.

My ARB 50qt fridge runs 24/7/365.
I park at work for 10+ hours/day and the battery is fully charged upon exit.

I use camp lights from LuminAID, they work as advertised and charge during the day. The output is ambient, not Shea Stadium.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I'm running a Sears (Odyssey) group 31M as my main house battery. I added a 100w Grape Solar panel a few years ago.

My ARB 50qt fridge runs 24/7/365.
I park at work for 10+ hours/day and the battery is fully charged upon exit.

I use camp lights from LuminAID, they work as advertised and charge during the day. The output is ambient, not Shea Stadium.

Hey thanks for the heads up on Luminaid. Just picked up a couple that will do double duty for us camping and as part of the emergency pack in each of our vehicles.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Thought I'd update my thread with my solar setup. Since there is a huge amount of information out there it was difficult to make a choice on what panel, controller etc. to buy. So I did a simple (but hopefully reasonable) first principles calc to figure out what size of panel I needed.

Untitled.png

Basically the calc uses NREL data for how much average solar energy per day is available at the places I tend to camp in (Northern Michigan) for the months of July-September, and then multiplies that with a (hopefully) conservative conversion efficiency estimate. Based on some fridge testing and other electrical draws, my final answer tells me I can go without starting the engine for up to 48 hours, which is plenty for my use case.

So I ordered the following:

50W semi-flexible panel
- After looking at several panels, I think the semi-flexible makes the most sense due to its compact dimensions and weight (<3lbs). I can always double up on this if needed.

Charge Controller - After looking at several charge controllers I found this one to be super compact, simple, and reviews are not bad either. For a small system like this I hope PWM will be sufficient. The only downside is this will not scale to 100w+ if I need it in the future, but I'm crossing fingers and hoping I won't need to go any higher than 50w.

Cabling - After cutting this in half, I should have 25 feet of cable, decent enough to keep the panel in the sun and the vehicle in the shade.

Of course, this is all in theory:D, will report back on how it actually works in the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12