Minimizing the kit and packing it efficiently

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Action Packers..... you have to mod them a little.....

I have used my 2 small Action Packers on 2 long trips to Quebec Canada this past summer on some long dirt/gravel roads, "Rue du Nord" x 2 and the Trans-Tiaga road x 2, plus the "James Bay" road, which is paved x 2. Before I left on my first trip I put some weather stripping on the lids, thick enough to compress when you latched the lids and used a bungee cord on each for more security. I had no leaks whatsoever during many hundreds of miles of dusty dry driving then 3 days of muddy driving in the rain on my trips. I carried the 2 packers on the roof basket on my truck cap, dry food in one and kitchen stuff in the other. If they are secured properly and checked on they won't chafe either. I shall use them again next summer on my 3 wk. trip again into Canada including the "Trans Labrador" road which is dirt/gravel and more than a few hundred miles in length. I don't sit/stand on them, I bring a folding chair and stand on the tail gate to get to the roof basket. I love em!!! stay safe, mjmcdowell

burn_e

Adventurer
I have used my 2 small Action Packers on 2 long trips to Quebec Canada this past summer on some long dirt/gravel roads, "Rue du Nord" x 2 and the Trans-Tiaga road x 2, plus the "James Bay" road, which is paved x 2. Before I left on my first trip I put some weather stripping on the lids, thick enough to compress when you latched the lids and used a bungee cord on each for more security. I had no leaks whatsoever during many hundreds of miles of dusty dry driving then 3 days of muddy driving in the rain on my trips. I carried the 2 packers on the roof basket on my truck cap, dry food in one and kitchen stuff in the other. If they are secured properly and checked on they won't chafe either. I shall use them again next summer on my 3 wk. trip again into Canada including the "Trans Labrador" road which is dirt/gravel and more than a few hundred miles in length. I don't sit/stand on them, I bring a folding chair and stand on the tail gate to get to the roof basket. I love em!!! stay safe, mjmcdowell

What's the verdict? How does this relate to the topic "Minimizing the kit and packing it efficiently"?

The action packer vs rest of the world thread is here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40264&highlight=action+packer

rural

Observer
When putting together your kit, it is possible to utilize compact multipurpose items that are easily accessed and organized.

If done well, this zen like accomplishment fulfills your needs and wants, but leaves you uncluttered and relaxed.

So how have you minimized your kit and packed it efficiently? Share your battles. (or post your links)

*some restrictions apply, void where prohibited

the fundamental understanding you need to develop is relatively simple, but often overlooked...

1. pack items with multiple purposes
2. pack only for what is expectedly expected
3. understand no size vehicle can haul EVERYTHING you need

by doing this you drastically reduce your supplies and increase space.

example --> you want to eat on the trip. but, you dont PLAN on hunting your game. you take groceries and leave the camo and rifle and ammo at home. if someone steals your food on the trail (an unexpected event you could have not foreseen) then you simply go hungry. or cook in the same pot you eat out of using your spork as your stirrer/spatula/toothpick. HOWEVER, you could have packed the rifle to thwart off the criminal and get you a steak, BUT WAIT, now a off in the distance i see it!!! a nuclear fall-out has occurred and you need your "shelter-in-place" unit....

catch my drift?

I think this is what everyone is trying to say.
correct me if i am wrong.

same principle as packing a first aid kit. you can buy a hospital, but do you really want to haul it around? no, you take FIRST AID items and items necessary for your personal health - your meds, if it is sunny = sunscreen, aloe vera, snowy - lip balm, allergies - etc etc...

good luck,
tylerp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior