Minimum EV Range Requirement for Touring Western U.S.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I want a sailboat. That is the ultimate adventure vehicle.
Yep and easy to escape the stupids.?. Not to mention my neighbor pays more to store his 26ft POS travel trailer in a dirt lot 60 miles from the coast than I pay for a secure slip at a yacht club with great facilities ??

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
or stay at a campground with 50 amp rv hookups.

Or a range extender if you have a truck

I've already seen a Few Hyundai and Tesla EV's plugged in at campgrounds.

Downside for me with towing a trailer is I'd have to choose between plugging in the truck or trailer.

I wonder if we will see campsites that offer 50 amp service install a 2nd plugin under the existing one so a trailer and an EV can be charged at the same time?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It stilll astounds me though that you can't drive a '22 Tundra hybrid on battery power alone. Even for a short commute...

I think Toyota missed the boat on that one.
Its pure numbers game vs use type for these hybrids now. Plugin hybrid with say 15-30 mile EV range like my wife’s Fusion is fantastic for local short trips. Full highway trips its less effective for sure. I suspect competitive payload numbers vs battery weight is the current reason the hybrid trucks are not really EV only capable. To get 10-20 mile range they need between 7kwh-10kwh battery which non of them are getting most are sub 3kwh which is basically just traffic crawl and idling gas reduction.
Oh and just super rough basic numbers 1 gallon of gas is roughly 12kwh of electricity from an energy stand point. So think about very rough gas mileage vs kwh needed to offer a given range etc.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Its pure numbers game vs use type for these hybrids now. Plugin hybrid with say 15-30 mile EV range like my wife’s Fusion is fantastic for local short trips. Full highway trips its less effective for sure. I suspect competitive payload numbers vs battery weight is the current reason the hybrid trucks are not really EV only capable. To get 10-20 mile range they need between 7kwh-10kwh battery which non of them are getting most are sub 3kwh which is basically just traffic crawl and idling gas reduction.
Yup. But for now I'd be happy with a 30 mile ev range until the infrastructure is built up a here.

Good for trips around down, put a dent in my gas bill for my work commute and have the ICE powerplant for towing / road trips.

PowerBoost F150 payload numbers are close if you go light on the options. But no PHEV so EV only range is pretty much nil from what I can see.

Manufacturers are close but not quite there yet.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I'd like to see a heads up match on a well known trail like the White Rim or Rubicon. Perhaps 2 of each vehicle, one driven by non factory diver and other by factory driver. This may give us a real world comparison of what can and cannot be done.

Boatbuilder79

I've already seen a Few Hyundai and Tesla EV's plugged in at campgrounds.

Downside for me with towing a trailer is I'd have to choose between plugging in the truck or trailer.

I wonder if we will see campsites that offer 50 amp service install a 2nd plugin under the existing one so a trailer and an EV can be charged at the same time?

Can you add an outlet on the outside of the camper to plug in the tow vehicle? With Tesla You can adjust how many amps you charge at so you don’t overload things. I think the others will let you do that too.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Can you add an outlet on the outside of the camper to plug in the tow vehicle? With Tesla You can adjust how many amps you charge at so you don’t overload things. I think the others will let you do that too.
So put the camper between the EV and the shore power plug? Umm? Why would you do that?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yup. But for now I'd be happy with a 30 mile ev range until the infrastructure is built up a here.

Good for trips around down, put a dent in my gas bill for my work commute and have the ICE powerplant for towing / road trips.

PowerBoost F150 payload numbers are close if you go light on the options. But no PHEV so EV only range is pretty much nil from what I can see.

Manufacturers are close but not quite there yet.
Yeah really wanted the plugin hybrid Expedition assuming it would be like my wifes Fusion. Nope.
The Fusion went 13months between gas station visits during covid lock down given wife stopped her commute. But I drove the Fusion around locally hauling kids ev only. Given gas prices going up I’ll be doing more of that again vs driving the standard Expedition. That and driving the SLK fun car given it does about 30mpg vs the 18-20mpg the Expedition gets.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
was thinking it would look cleaner than some kind of homemade adapter hanging from the post
Most posts have at minimum a 15amp 120v plug and a 30amp plug. Most EV owners plug the EV into the 30 and the trailer into the 15. Trailers can do basics on 15 but typically AC isn’t an option on the 15. If they have a 50 amp plug same deal only EV is charged over night vs say day and a half on 30amp.
EVs don’t like stuff between their plug and the source given they monitor power fluctuations to avoid blowing up bad wiring etc.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So put the camper between the EV and the shore power plug? Umm? Why would you do that?
No clue how I'd work it. Figure I'll worry about it if/when the time comes. For now sticking with an ICE truck. Next if a hybrid if they are available.

So i think I've got some time before I have to worry about charging an EV and a campsite.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I can see selling my cherry garage queen SLK350 fun car (27,000 miles) and getting a plugin hybrid Ford Bronco sport in a few yrs. I could use a small utility type vehicle that can haul, dogs, bikes, tools etc. Yesterday I had tools, paint, 5 gallons of diesel in the trunk of the SLK to go work on my boat. Today dogs need to go with me, wife has a big meeting can’t have barking dogs in the house. So same gear as yesterday only dogs too so taking the Expedition. SLK does 30mpg Expedition does 20mpg. Wifes Plug-in Fusion is a people only hauler. The Ford Escape plugin 37mile 14kwh battery EV range would be great but its ugly as hell. The Bronc sport with that setup would be perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger