Minimum Inverter for Laptop ?

blaze one

Adventurer
I need to pick up a power inverter . I need it to run my laptop , anyone have a idea of the minimum wattage needed to power a laptop ?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Get one larger than the wattage yours requires. An inverter that is too small will build up too much heat. My laptop shows the power supply at 75 watts. I tried an inverter rated to 75 watts and it got way too hot. I upgraded to a 150 watt inverter and have had no problems.

Edited above since my memory was incorrect :(

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Home Depot sells a nice Vector 400Watt for your needs. I believe Scotty B has one, i have another model Vector and have been very happy with their product!

whitethaiger

Adventurer
You are asking for the minimum, 150W should work. I've run my notebook from a cheapo 150W inverter for years. Notebook power supply shows 65W, I measured 37W when charging. The inverter does get rather warm. I now even run the 17in LCD from the same inverter...:rolleyes:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Also keep in mind the power rating of the socket that you plug the inverter into. 10 or 15 amps is common. At 12v that isn't much more than 150 watts.

paulj

blaze one

Adventurer
ok thanks , I just need a basic inverter so i can power my laptop while camping to upload photos and watch a movie at night .

I just thought i would ask for some advice . Thanks again .:wavey:

Willman

Good brand?

I'm wondering besides the homedepot one...any other bands out there that work great and a great deal?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I purchased mine at the local Staples. There are quite a few that look much the same. I look for a good metal body with cooling fins. I don't want a fan as it gets dusty and wears out.
I think I paid about $30 for the one I have. I have seen comparable inverters in the $50 range now.

I was wrong in my first post. I had a 75W that heated and bought this 150w that runs just fine.
Mine is a Fellowes 150W AC/DC Mobile power inverter.

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
In some discussions of inverters, I've seen claims that the inverter should have a 'modified sine wave'. I suspect, though, that that is norm these days. Still, it would worth checking the packaging for any description of its output.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears